Utility points for pvp ranked/unranked

TheDuge

So for pve I think it's pretty much straightforward which utility points to pick. You know the upcoming bossfight, you know what to expect, and you can respec before each fight. It's not so straightforward for me in pvp. What are your preferred utility point choices for ranked and unranked pvp? I'm playing tele/lightning most of the time, but feel free to discuss the choice differences for madness/balance as well. Here are my choices so far: (these are for unranked, as i haven't played any ranked in 3.0 so far.)

Skillful:

Empty Body/Pain bearer; Humility/sap strength; Oppressing force/Pinning Resolve

It would make sense to take Jedi Resistance/Sith Defiance and maybe the shock/project dmg increase for some kiting situations where everything else is on CD, but so far I've valued these two less. I'm guessing the 3% dmg reduction should be more favored in ranked?

Masterful:

This is probably the toughest choice. So far I've favored bubble stun and emersion/egress, but the root knockback is also very nice. The bonus absorption on force armor, the 25% dmg reduction on cloud mind, and the bonus healing for our self heal is also quite nice, but so far I think they are inferior to the other 3.

Heroic:

Thundering blast/turbulence on the move is a must I guess, which leaves only 1 more to choose. For arenas I assume the 30% dmg reduction while stunned is a must as well, so I usually go with that. I guess for unranked one could experiment with others; healing while being bubbled/super bubbled and instant forcelift with stun sounds quite good. The 30% slow on weaken mind could also help kiting, it may be an undervalued skill, I don't know.

Maybe madness has it better, because they don't necessarily need the force leech on the move, which frees up an utility point for the knockback root in masterful or one of the mentioned ones in heroic.

Thoughts?

Edited by TheDuge

Firstly let me say that I don't think there is an absolute right utilities built. Here are my preferences, and since I don't remember all the names I will describe them.

1st tier: +3 damage reduction, project/shock double proc, and +25% to force storm which hits like a truck; for arenas I am still debating the 10% extra healing in the case of having a healer (which would definitely take it in group ranked)

2nd tier: egress and bubble stun which helps me against sneak attacks from stealthers, cloud mind damage reduction is also nice but at 45s cd and 6s duration is not really much... also don't favour the root kb as chances are there will be a dot to the one I will kb even under ling

3rd tier: force mobility and healing on barrier which gives a 2nd life, I do miss the 30% damage reduction when cced though but I think the 2nd life is more useful

Edited by MusicRider

So for pve I think it's pretty much straightforward which utility points to pick. You know the upcoming bossfight, you know what to expect, and you can respec before each fight. It's not so straightforward for me in pvp. What are your preferred utility point choices for ranked and unranked pvp? I'm playing tele/lightning most of the time, but feel free to discuss the choice differences for madness/balance as well. Here are my choices so far: (these are for unranked, as i haven't played any ranked in 3.0 so far.)

Skillful:

Empty Body/Pain bearer; Humility/sap strength; Oppressing force/Pinning Resolve

It would make sense to take Jedi Resistance/Sith Defiance and maybe the shock/project dmg increase for some kiting situations where everything else is on CD, but so far I've valued these two less. I'm guessing the 3% dmg reduction should be more favored in ranked?

Masterful:

This is probably the toughest choice. So far I've favored bubble stun and emersion/egress, but the root knockback is also very nice. The bonus absorption on force armor, the 25% dmg reduction on cloud mind, and the bonus healing for our self heal is also quite nice, but so far I think they are inferior to the other 3.

Heroic:

Thundering blast/turbulence on the move is a must I guess, which leaves only 1 more to choose. For arenas I assume the 30% dmg reduction while stunned is a must as well, so I usually go with that. I guess for unranked one could experiment with others; healing while being bubbled/super bubbled and instant forcelift with stun sounds quite good. The 30% slow on weaken mind could also help kiting, it may be an undervalued skill, I don't know.

Maybe madness has it better, because they don't necessarily need the force leech on the move, which frees up an utility point for the knockback root in masterful or one of the mentioned ones in heroic.

Thoughts?

I take the fs dmg increase and 3% dr for tier 1 in solo ranked, because I've done so many 8 deeps games and it's quite unusual to have a healer in solo ranked.

For tier 2 I take force speed immunity which is a must, and either knockback root or bubble stun. Sometimes I go with knockback root, but most of the solo rankedz I take bubble stun, because: 1. it's a quite good defense against stealth ganking; 2. most sorc killer class in solo ranked has a movement freedom, especially our #1 destroyer assassins

For tier 3 in solo ranked I'd advise corrupted barrier + move cast if you are lightening and corrupted barrier + affliction slow if you are madness. I fumbled with move cast for madness a bit and I believe leech move-cast is over-rated.

For group ranked, go for empty body in tier 1, knockback root in tier 2, and instant whirlwind in tier 3. Just my personal opinion. Feel free to show me if I am wrong, fellow pvp'ers.

I take the fs dmg increase and 3% dr for tier 1 in solo ranked, because I've done so many 8 deeps games and it's quite unusual to have a healer in solo ranked.

Personally, I don't get the debates between +3% DR and 10% healing received. Your effective HP depends on self-healing and DR. You can check the dmg received after the game in stats - with healing-bubble-cheesy-second-life it's usually around 85-90k (if you being focused and die). Sometimes more, sometimes less.

That means I take 90k dmg and die WITH 17% DR. Which means with 0% DR I would get ~108.4k dmg. Which means with that +3% DR utility I would receive 86.7k dmg. Which is like 3.3k difference.

On the other hand I heal myself with bubbles and hots for 40-50k at least. Which makes already 4-5k bonus from +10% self-healing utility. Which becomes even more, if I'm lucky and receive some off-heals from yolo-mates.

Personally, I don't get the debates between +3% DR and 10% healing received. Your effective HP depends on self-healing and DR. You can check the dmg received after the game in stats - with healing-bubble-cheesy-second-life it's usually around 85-90k (if you being focused and die). Sometimes more, sometimes less.

That means I take 90k dmg and die WITH 17% DR. Which means with 0% DR I would get ~108.4k dmg. Which means with that +3% DR utility I would receive 86.7k dmg. Which is like 3.3k difference.

On the other hand I heal myself with bubbles and hots for 40-50k at least. Which makes already 4-5k bonus from +10% self-healing utility. Which becomes even more, if I'm lucky and receive some off-heals from yolo-mates.

That is a great analysis. I am gonna put on empty body from now on.

Not sure that bubble benefits from this bonus, and by hots you mean hot (resurgence). The reason that someone would choose the 3% is because it scales with enemies attacking you and that is when you most need damage reduction, in other words it is a better utility vs focused fire. Of course if there is a healer present then the 10% on healing is better under all circumstances, no question about it. But in the end of the day you can take both as dps since after tempest mastery the options are 3 (10% healing, 3% damage reduction, double proc on shock) for 2 utility points to be allocated.

Not sure that bubble benefits from this bonus, and by hots you mean hot (resurgence). The reason that someone would choose the 3% is because it scales with enemies attacking you and that is when you most need damage reduction, in other words it is a better utility vs focused fire. Of course if there is a healer present then the 10% on healing is better under all circumstances, no question about it. But in the end of the day you can take both as dps since after tempest mastery the options are 3 (10% healing, 3% damage reduction, double proc on shock) for 2 utility points to be allocated.

Bubble, barrier and/or madness dots do not benefit from 10%, but resurgence and/or unnatural most certainly do! It's definitely worth experimenting with. However, I would take sapped strength over chain shock any day, cause that 25% on a burst class in solo ranked can be a life savior even a tide turner.

Bubble, barrier and/or madness dots do not benefit from 10%, but resurgence and/or unnatural most certainly do!

I am aware of that, and so does dark heal... just wasn't sure about bubble which my feeling was that it would not (there is a separate utility for it in any case).

It's definitely worth experimenting with. However, I would take sapped strength over chain shock any day, cause that 25% on a burst class in solo ranked can be a life savior even a tide turner.

Used to take sapped before 3.0 but I was playing madness mostly in ranked then and shock was not much of an option with its high cost and the force issues that madness had. I play mostly ling now and I value chain shock for both burst and as a finisher. There are a few utilities I would like (particularly haunted dreams and shapeless spirit) but can't have it all :).

I love the Mobility of lightning now except I wish crushing darkness could be used on the move too. I hate how our utilities are Layed out. I want to use bubble stun and knockback root but u can't take them. Stun bubble should be back in the Lightning tree

I love the Mobility of lightning now except I wish crushing darkness could be used on the move too. I hate how our utilities are Layed out. I want to use bubble stun and knockback root but u can't take them. Stun bubble should be back in the Lightning tree

You can take both at the expense of the heroic barrier healing which is much more useful imo.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.