PvP Leveling

Voice_GS

Hey

I have just recently came back to SWTOR and have decided to restart and level a Gunslinger as I tried playing my old level 50 classes and I feel that much has changed and it will just be better to start a-new and learn a new class from the beginning rather than at end game.

So that being said I was thinking to just level via PvP and only doing class quests.

How viable is that as I read an old post from last year which said that he didn't need to worry about mods etc as his gear would get boosted anyway. Is this still the case?

Also I expect that once I reach 60 the gear I have won't be good for any pve content since it will still technically be low level. Has anyone else that has done this found this hard to recover from?

When it comes to comms my plan was, once I'am capped I would convert my comms to rcomms untill im capped then reached cap in comms and then buy pvp stims etc as I think that was written in a sticky at the top of the page but I'm not sure if its still viable in 3.0

I also have bought the PvP experience perks on my Legacy as well.

If anyone could give me some advice on leveling this way or if it's a no go. Would it just be better to level the normal way?

Thanks.

Voice

Its perfectly viable. You are correct in utilising the legacy pvp perks. I would also recommend using cartel experience boosts and joining a guild for the +10% xp. These will all stack, and enable you to gain very decent xp from warzones.

As far as the excess comms go, yes from Valor Rank 40 you can convert to Ranked comms. On the way there, aside from buying stims you can also buy the PVP weapons and recycle them on the 2hr refundable CD to store comms. When you hit V40, convert all to Ranked, and then continue on your way.

If you are able to stick it out, and solely pvp all the way through you will largely be able to walk into almost full 174 ranked gear.

Word of advice with the PVP weapons though, dont log off while in your Stronghold or Guild Ship. I have heard that it can often bug them, and kill the refund timer and thus binding them to you. They will only be refundable for credits at that point, and not comms.

Its viable, but its very slow.

Pretty much this. In all reality, PvP XP should be doubled (which I think would make it the amount it was at launch - before Bioware nerfed it because of a couple PvE whiners saying it was good XP).

Pretty much this. In all reality, PvP XP should be doubled (which I think would make it the amount it was at launch - before Bioware nerfed it because of a couple PvE whiners saying it was good XP).

At launch the warzones were flooded with afkers and bots. I wouldn't mind more xp in warzones, but at the same time, it wasn't really meant to be fast leveling and upping the xp will just bring back the bots.

At launch the warzones were flooded with afkers and bots. I wouldn't mind more xp in warzones, but at the same time, it wasn't really meant to be fast leveling and upping the xp will just bring back the bots.

Easily solved with the now more competent admins and report functions. I played in beta and at release and don't remember seeing any bots on Prophecy of the Five, where I was playing at the time. Besides, every game has bots abusing at release and solves the problem eventually.

Ok. Firstly, just as before, yes you can level through warzones. Some changes have occured though. Once you hit 30, I don't care how good you are, you will have a huge disadvantage to the 55-59s that seem to populate mids bracket now. It's a combination of bolster, gears, max abilities, etc. It basically equates to a very frustrating experience as a newly minted MIDS bracket pvper.

I tried raising a merc healer in mids bracket. It's just not fun. I pushed to 41 now, doing Kuat and random flashpoints along with class questing just to get XP and my level higher. At 41, it's not as bad, but if you are on a team with mostly lowbies your team will get steamrolled if the other team has many 55-59s.

Before 3.0, sure, higher lvls in mids had some advantage. But, I never had a problem I still competed quite well on ALL toons I leveled through warzones, which was every toon. Now, no way. Higher levels have an EXTREME advantage over lowbies in mids bracket.

As it is now, your class might also have some impact with how extreme the roffelstomping is. For instance, I did mess with a lvl 30 tank, and I did fair damage and had large amount of protection. I got medals. But, I did get shredded pretty fast by opposing dps particularly the higher lvls. Faster than pre 3.0 while I played lvl 30 tanks then too. I can compare my experience then to now. Big difference.

So. My answer is as a true pvper, once you hit 30 you will not find it worth the frustrations trying to XP through warzones as we did before 3.0, in mids bracket. Many people have commented they do "just fine" as a lvl 30 in mids. it's a L2P issue. I disagree. See for yourself.

Also, I leveled one of my toons who was capped at 55, and did nothing but PVP to 60. I saved weapons/comms up, I had no problem getting enough weaps saved to buy a brand new set of entry level PVP gears. You can do that too. Just get to 50-55, and then begin saving your weaps up. By the time you hit 60, you will have enough for a full suit of Exhumed or w/e it is called. That is more than enough to be competitive in 60s PVP. You will have to aug your stuffs too though if you want to be on a good footing.

Edited by Lhancelot
mistyped

My 11 toons have all since they have their last class companions (mostly before Voss) leveled exclusively on PVP and GSF.

The legacy Perk is likely to be useful and also boost your XP. But actually it does not matter, the leveling is just a side effect of PVP.

For PVP only level 10 is necessary unless you want to play Rated.

Hey

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all info you have giving me.

My plan was to use PvP exp as well as Valor exp while leveling up. One thing a few of you have mentioned is saving up weapons.. how does that actually work? Don't they have a time limit before you can't refund them?

My only real goal is to try and have a load of PvP consumables and also have comms to buy Exhumed(?) and items I need to start PvPing at 60.

Voice

This timers only count when you are logged into the character. If you are just standing at the PVP terminal anyway, then this will be a "fun" little mini-game.

As for your original question, then Lhancelot has the correct idea. Mid-level PVP is horrid and I suspect some of those how say otherwise, might have designs on the status quo. Some. Perhaps. At the very least you need to be +40 for it not be completely terrible. You will still explode though.

The way you collect weapons is, get 2700 pvp comms. Buy 3 weapons for 900 comms each. A 2 hour timer begins on weapons. Do warzones. Save up as many as you can between timers. When you have about 30-40mins left on the weapons, go to pvp vendor... If you have enough to buy a new weapon do so (900 comms needed). Sell one weapon, you get 900 back. Buy a new weapon with the 900 comms you just got refunded. The timer begins fresh on a new weapon. Do it again, sell one weapon, buy it back... You do this over and over. Eventually you will have in your inventory 30, 40, 50 weaps. You just have to make sure you do not forget to refresh the weaps timers.

There also is another way to hold the weaps, using Stronghold banking and buying some other item I forget what it is. Basically you buy the item, and stick it in your stronghold bank which can then be grabbed by an alt that picks the item up, and saves the item in it's inventory. The items timer takes a longer time to need refreshed as you only log into this toon for the purpose of grabbing the item that is bought with comms. Again, i never did this, so details I am lacking. I always did the weapons saving system.

Hey

Ah ok thanks Lhancelot. I understand that better now. Does that only really come into better use between 55 and 60 then? Cause I don't think that would be too useful between 10-55?

At the moment I'm level 17 so I'm thinking that I might pvp level to 30 then normal level to 50 or so then continue PvP leveling while using the weapon thing.

Thanks.

Voice

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.