Should DP/DF HM's drop NiM tier gear like EC?

Before I get flamed for just a suggestion I thought I'd explain the current way of progressing through ops from 55 onwards (getting one tier of gear in order to progress through the next) and what I think is wrong with it:

TFB/S&V/DF/DP SM (Arkanian, some underworld) > S&V/TFB HM (underworld) > S&V/TFB NiM (optional for kell dragon, not required for next tier) > DF/DP HM (Dread forged) > DF/DP NiM (Dread master) > ToS/Ravagers SM (Resurrected) > ToS/Rav HM (Revanite)

While the expansion does include 186 basic gear for those starting out at 60 which is perfectly fine for the content most players who have already earned set bonus's feel reluctant to give them up, so they are faced with the dilemma of either progressing through a NiM to get their set bonus's up to the recommended tier or stick with older armorings, which while something like 180's you could get away with I see people entering the ops with 162/168 and no level 60 mod optimization with like 40k HP they are just letting the group down... I mean for example on the underlurker in basic gear there's a chance you can survive a bugged/dodgy cross, with lesser survivability you can't.

With a lot of players reluctant/incapable to progress through pre 3.0 NiM, I feel there should be an incentive for them to at least gear in HM DF/DP at the very least and make NiM DF/DP an optional niche like S&V/TFB NiM is. I don't feel just dread forged is a good enough incentive, maybe last two bosses on HM need to drop random dread master in a similar way SM drops underworld?

You can buy 186 from coms or good 186 pieces from crafters for pretty cheap

If a group can clear df/dp on hm they should be capable of clearing ravagers and ToS on sm, if they're not the gear won't make any difference.

TFB/S&V/DF/DP SM (Arkanian, some underworld) > S&V/TFB HM (underworld) > S&V/TFB NiM (optional for kell dragon, not required for next tier) > DF/DP HM (Dread forged) > DF/DP NiM (optional for Dread master, not required for next tier) > ToS/Ravagers SM (Resurrected) > ToS/Rav HM (Revanite)

Fixed it for you, seems like loot is consistent with the older content. :)

The set bonus has been changed with 3.0 and tokens of 186 rated gear may not be what you want going forward.

Edited by ELRunninW

NiM tier gear is available from basic comm vendors + cheap from crafters. This is technically easier to obtain than the gear from EC was considering you just have to run a couple solo flashpoints to buy half a set. Not to mention the gear from DP/DF NiM is not required for the new SM ops.

So no, they shouldn't.

Edited by TrillOG-

NiM tier gear is available from basic comm vendors + cheap from crafters. This is technically easier to obtain than the gear from EC was considering you just have to run a couple solo flashpoints to buy half a set. Not to mention the gear from DP/DF NiM is not required for the new SM ops.

So no, they shouldn't.

I know there's vendor trash and crafters... but I'm on about gear progression "between" operations not what you can get outside them i.e. clearing one tier to get gear in order to clear the next tier. If for example there was no such thing as vendor or crafted gear the average player would have to clear DF/DP NiM to reach the recommended gear level for these ops 186 (I know that it can be cleared in less I have cleared them in less however it's what they've been tuned for in general).

I get that with the difficulty of these new ops bioware obviously wants new players to clear older content first however that shouldnt include NiM IMO.

Well optimised 180 bonus gear is much better than the com gear if u juge pepole by they hp then u have no idea about the gear

Well these new ops have a lot more focus on survivability than raw damage output of your raid, as long as your dps can each pull at least 2.5k on the bosses and not die you can beat the encounters... however the not dying part is the tricky part and that couple of K hp between 180 and 186 level gear could mean the difference between you surviving or dying.

More often or not I join a run where players have under 42k because word of mouth has told them lower tier optimized gear and older set bonuses (even 162/168) is better than their survivability. Those runs usually end bad because those players end up being first to die. But these players wont upgrade to 186 comms gear because word of mouth is telling them it's worse than they've got...

Well these new ops have a lot more focus on survivability than raw damage output of your raid, as long as your dps can each pull at least 2.5k on the bosses and not die you can beat the encounters... however the not dying part is the tricky part and that couple of K hp between 180 and 186 level gear could mean the difference between you surviving or dying.

More often or not I join a run where players have under 42k because word of mouth has told them lower tier optimized gear and older set bonuses (even 162/168) is better than their survivability. Those runs usually end bad because those players end up being first to die. But these players wont upgrade to 186 comms gear because word of mouth is telling them it's worse than they've got...

fare point from heal point of viue i do lest ehps in com gear then in well optimaized 180 ( have 2 mercs did buy the com gear before i slag it off ) i crit abouth 2-3k less on my big heal and 1k less on small on my bh so out of expirance and looking at my parsec i will take the 180 over com gear at the end of a day its skill then gear

Answer to the topic : No, it shouldnt.

Nim DP/DF was nerfed, its easy to obtain 186 token gear. If you'r not capable to do the bosses, why should itemization be important to you? Equipping a higher tier set doesnt make such a difference as many ppl believe, also min-maxing doesnt make such a difference. It is the competence of each player that makes the difference.

Are the current drops from NiM DF/DP unchanged from before 3.0? I know before the expansion hit the devs were talking about keeping them as an alternate gearing path, so I thought they might have added some resurrected or revanite drops. However my raid team hasn't been back to Oricon since 60 due to some Dread Master fatigue so I don't know if any of the drops changed. Edited by Lowarro

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.