Returning Player, help with class choice.

Ramenjunkie

Hello everyone, I am returning player after a hiatus of 2 years. I notice much has changed in that time. I am looking for a class to play as my main as I do not have as much free time to level up others. I formerly mained a 50 sniper with a 50 merc. The sniper felt very comfortable and fit my playstyle. I also enjoyed the merc playstyle as well. The reason I am asking for help now is because apparently the game has a new disciple system to changes the classes to a degree. I am looking for a good class to play based on the following criteria.

1. Class mechanics: As I mentioned I liked the flow of combat as a Sniper and Merc. I know I am not enjoying the operative/smuggler and I am not really feeling how to play assassin/shadow atm.

2. Class story: Loved IA story. Thought BH story was lame. Haven't gotten far in any of the other class stories.

3. Companions: I noticed some classes have lame companions while others had some interesting ones with good interactions with the player character. I like telling Khem Val to eat people.

4. PvP viability: I am not looking for the FOTM faceroll class. I do not want a class that is basicly a free kill either. The only reason I have not tried to main sniper again is due to reading on the class forums that snipers have almost no survivability in PvP. That and they basicly made my favorite specs (engineering and Lethality) not very good for PvP. (This is what I am reading, have not tested it yet)

Thank you for those that respond and decide to post your thoughts and opinions on helping find a good class to play as my main.

Hello everyone, I am returning player after a hiatus of 2 years. I notice much has changed in that time. I am looking for a class to play as my main as I do not have as much free time to level up others. I formerly mained a 50 sniper with a 50 merc. The sniper felt very comfortable and fit my playstyle. I also enjoyed the merc playstyle as well. The reason I am asking for help now is because apparently the game has a new disciple system to changes the classes to a degree. I am looking for a good class to play based on the following criteria.

1. Class mechanics: As I mentioned I liked the flow of combat as a Sniper and Merc. I know I am not enjoying the operative/smuggler and I am not really feeling how to play assassin/shadow atm.

2. Class story: Loved IA story. Thought BH story was lame. Haven't gotten far in any of the other class stories.

3. Companions: I noticed some classes have lame companions while others had some interesting ones with good interactions with the player character. I like telling Khem Val to eat people.

4. PvP viability: I am not looking for the FOTM faceroll class. I do not want a class that is basicly a free kill either. The only reason I have not tried to main sniper again is due to reading on the class forums that snipers have almost no survivability in PvP. That and they basicly made my favorite specs (engineering and Lethality) not very good for PvP. (This is what I am reading, have not tested it yet)

Thank you for those that respond and decide to post your thoughts and opinions on helping find a good class to play as my main.

Welcome back, I've also come back since playing last in 2012. I've been playing a Bounty Hunter, which doesn't sound like your thing, and I've yet to get into any PvP. I wish I knew more about the other class story lines to advise you. I've been considering making an Inquisitor alt, though like you I first want to get an idea of how good the companions and storyline are. I'll be checking out Dulfy.net for class info - you might like that site too. Other than that, I'll be looking into the class forums. Threads in the Story and Lore forum like this one: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=785276 might be interesting to you as you figure out what class you want to play. :)

Edited by Sharzade

Can't say that I have any sage advise. But it's kind of hard to say what exactly it is that you are looking for based on your post.

For example, IF you want good companion interaction then you would have to play an inquisitor. If it's a Sorcerer AC then its faceroll and obviously a very different play style from a sniper.

Class story is a toss-up between inquisitor and Imperial Agent.

i'd say stick with your sniper. You are already familiar with the class. PvP shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you are doing ranked.

Edited by Yezzan

Okay, so are you looking for a different class here or just a new character?

Different people like different stories for different reasons.

I liked thew BH story overall, you thought that it was lame. So I am supposed to be able to tell you what stories you will like?

The more value you place on the story, the less useful anyone's replies here will be. You will have to get out there and get into the stories yourself and make your own decisions.

Much like with stories, different people like different companions.

Mako, for example, seems fairly popular but you think that BH story is lame, so there you are again.

Some companions are funny while others are serious, some are very useful for the character class/AC while others are less so, some are light while others are dark.... Do you like Khem Val because you think he's funny? Because you think he's a "bad boy"? Because a tank is useful for DPS and healer sorcerers?

And I have read comments about how sniper/gunslinger can be a strong PvP class, so I think mostly that is just a matter of style (though DPS commando/merc may have issues. I have not seen a whole lot positive about those ACs in that role, but that is what I am currently playing (and my favorite overall AC/role combo) and while I may not be the best guy out there, I am also not worried about it.

I just want to play and have fun, and I think that every class can provide that to someone.

And it depends upon how highly PvP rates, too. Is it more important to have a "good PvP class" or to have a good class story or a companion(s) that you like?

I would suggest either a sorcerer or sage for PvP. They seem to be the FotM right now. Sorcerer adds Khem Val whom you said that you like.

Will you like the story? Will you find a companion that you like (or another companion in the event that you choose sorcerer and Khem Val gets stale)? Will you like the combat?

No idea.

If, though, the answer to that first question was "new character" and not "different class", then maybe just roll a new sniper or gunslinger.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.