AMD 6950 Performance

Jeordy

I just upgraded my graphics card to the AMD 6950 (woot!)

I did get significant FPS improvement over my ATI Radeon 5770, but not as much as I was expecting. Hoping someone else with a 6950 can compare my general FPS numbers to theirs to make sure that I really am getting what should be with this beast.

Alone on my ship doing nothing: 110

General PvE in non-crowded area regardless of the setting: 70-80

Warzones: 30-35

Imperial Fleet: 20-25

With occasional drops durring warzones and imp fleet to 15ish.

Does this seem right?

Thanks!

I did get significant FPS improvement over my ATI Radeon 5770, but not as much as I was expecting. Hoping someone else with a 6950 can compare my general FPS numbers to theirs to make sure that I really am getting what should be with this beast.

Does this seem right?

Thanks!

Yep pretty much. The engine is horrible and doesn't even use 2 cpu cores right now. And the obvious problem is the cpu load, your gpu is more than capable.

Some people however seem to be unaffected and bioware did say they're working on something for those who are having fps issues/fps drops.

Either way, don't expect much to change. Old engines can't be " optimized " that well for today's hardware.

Does this seem right?

Thanks!

Welcome to SWTOR, Please enjoy your stay, we have Peanuts available...

I have an unlocked version but it seems your cpu might be holding you back abit but your right there is something seriously wrong with fleet, I can go as low as 35 in some parts of fleet but I do have 4x aa enabled @1920x1080. Even looking at walls in fleet can have low fps so they have really messed up that area, it's rendering far too many things you cant' even see. Edited by Sheiba

Does this seem right?

Thanks!

i'm running a 6950, but i've flashed the bios so it runs 6970 settings (unlocks everything the 6970 has, EVERYTHING), except that i've kept the clock speeds at 6950 speeds (extra 80mhz isn't anything special especially considdering the extra power needed). it's pretty easy to do, fairly riskless. just make sure your card is on their list of ones that are "supported".

you can find out how to do it here: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

anyway, if i turn off v-sync, i get ~110fps at most times, warzones drops to ~70. but bear in mind that fps isn't completely down to your graphics card, i'm also running an i7 2600k (yes i know gamers prefer i5's but i'm a character artist, i needed a work processor) and some 2ghz RAM.

I have an unlocked version but it seems your cpu might be holding you back abit but your right there is something seriously wrong with fleet, I can go as low as 35 in some parts of fleet but I do have 4x aa enabled @1920x1080. Even looking at walls in fleet can have low fps so they have really messed up that area, it's rendering far too many things you cant' even see.

Not really sure how my CPU could be holding me up, I have the new AMD FX Series (The 4100). It's only the quad-core and not the 8 but it runs at 3.6GHz and can boost up to 3.8. Also, do you know how to check whether your 6950 is a reference card or not? The useless little booklet that came with it doesn't say whether the little switch is for BIOS 1 and 2 or it's a v2 card that uses it for something else. I read that if it's a reference card then it is built to be able to handle the unlocked shaders, but if it is a v2 card then it could end up overheating the card.

@Whoever asked if AMD makes graphics cards: Yes they do ;)

Not really sure how my CPU could be holding me up, I have the new AMD FX Series (The 4100). It's only the quad-core and not the 8 but it runs at 3.6GHz and can boost up to 3.8.

Wat? Have you read any reviews anywhere of the AMD FX series? It's performance-per-clock is actually a bit worse than the previous AMD series, and it can actually very seriously bottleneck a high-end GFX card like the 6950. Of course, the higher your resolution the less reliant you should be on CPU performance, and at 1920x1080 and up it should make pretty little difference. However, as has been stated, SW:tOR seems to be poorly optimized and relies too heavily on the CPU even at high resolutions, and doesn't seem to even take advantage of more than one core, let alone four.

For what it's worth, I run a 6950 2GB with unlocked shaders (only unlocked shaders, not a full 6970 BIOS) at a slight over clock paired with an i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz and 8GB of RAM, and my numbers are about the same as yours.

• 3 weeks later...

I have exact result with my 6950 as the original poster, and i have a amd phenom II x6 3.2ghz

and its driving me insane idk what to do to up my performance... im thinking about crossfiring the 6950s... but idk if it will be worth it.

Edited by faztazfuk

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 6950 without shaders unlocked and a 2500k at the standard 3.3 with 8GB of ram and those numbers sound about the same as mine, maybe a little lower. I've noticed I manage to stay above 30 fps even in the fleet most of the time if vsync is off. Turning it on seems to cause a significant slowdown/loss of fps and when I rotate with vsync on the camera stutters.