Why is this game so unreasonably difficult?

wolfwerewolf

So I am more or less a "new" player, I only really got a bounty hunter to level 29 months ago, before all the fancy new trait systems and whatnot, and honestly even then it was difficult.. now I main a Sith Marauder and jeez loweez is this game unreasonably hard! Pull more then 1 group of mobs your level? GG, dead before I can even get more then maybe 2 attacks off. Some silvers take me to 25% health before I can kill them and their random spawns that pop out of nowhere when the fight starts, not even counting the areas that have random wandering golds that take you from 100 to 0 in no time flat (and since they wander around and the games detection bubbles on the enemies are absolutely insane, they then jump into the already difficult fights for the almost instant wipe), not to mention even if I can pull through some of these fights I have to wait through that channeled healing ability you get from level 1 EVERY SINGLE TIME. I mean I downloaded Swtor, not waiting simulator 2015 (is it that hard to have a GW2 style health regen while out of combat passive? They have the movement speed out of combat ability :/). The Sith Warrior companion you are given from the first planet is worthless when it comes to helping you in any real way, she has no heal and her damage is average at best. The difficulty is making this game hard to enjoy something fierce, I love Bioware games for STORY not for insanely difficult mobs, like they could at least let you set difficulty when starting a new character and allow you to deal increased damage and take less damage depending on difficulty or something :/... Thank you for any advice you can provide.

PS- Please don't post something like "It's not that hard.", I don't need your opinion on the difficulty I need tips on how to play the game with minimum difficulty. Remember not everyone finds "difficult" fun, I have always played games for good story, or interesting game mechanics (like Biowares amazing choice system when in a conversation) and I rarely ever stray from the "easy" difficulty in games that allow difficulty selection.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is hard, because you are new to it.

It's as simple as that.

You just need to give yourselöf some time, read a lot here and in the Class Forums, and adapt yourself to he game.

Some UI components are not even explained much, like the Interface Editor, for example ( it can be accessed by clicking on the tiny + on the left of your quick access bar; be careful with using it, though ! ).

One most important thing is - to keep all of your characters' gear

and the gear of your most used Companion up to date !

I mean, the gear *should* be as "high" as your level is !

You can easily compare it, and if you have gear with an orange border, it means that you can extract the Modifications in it and replace them with better ones ... You would have to visit the in-game vendor who sells stuff for "Planetary Commendations" (before 3.0) / "Basic Commendations" (since 3.0) very, very often. Everyone of us does so.

And what you also should do is this :

- Repair your gear !

- Buy yourself Medi-Packs and Stims !

- Immediately buy yourself new talents & skils as they become available !

And, another thing : Please take a look at what kind of "stance" you are using ! Are you working like a so-called "tank" ? If yes, then please take a Healer Companion (even the Ship Droid is able to do that !)

If you are more oriented towards producing lots of "damage", then please take yourself a "tank" companion !

Because these roles decide how your enemies behave towards you - inclusive pulling aggro.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I can see what your problem is at, I love the stroy of the bioware games as well, they are soo good. But The difference between those games and this one is.. that this one is a mmo.

Well they both have a story, yes but in a single player game such as kotor your can just play the main story and be fine when it comes to leveling and difficulty.

In swtor thats not the case, you have to level above the quest you are at and the mobs or they'll be as you describe, hard as *meep*.

An easy way to see if a quest will be easy or hard is to look in your quest log, if the quest is green its easy if its yellow its a challenge, if it is orange its hard.

So inbetween the main story missions do some side quest, do some pvp, some daily flashpoints or whatever flows your boat. If you keep your quest at green you'll be fine. The higher level you get... the more you have to do this "exp grinding" if you want to call it that.

Another way to help is in the legacy tab, there you can help you gain more exp form class quest and such which will help you keep you up to par with your quest levels. Theres also exp boost you get or buy from cartel market that will help with that as well. Some weekends on the year has double exp. Joining a guild can grant you up to 10% bonus xp. Being a subscriber is getting you alot more features that makes it easyer and you get bonus exp from that as well.

Heroics, if you have stumble apon these and think they are hard.. well those are meant to be played in a group of ppl in that level or slightly above. if it says heroic +2, you need 2 people or more, if it says +4 you need a 4 man group.

Speaking of groups, if you have friends who play questing is easyer with more players obviously though if you start to debend on them you maybe suddenly when you try stuff on your own again you can find that you are too low level.

Its a long way to 60 but if you get in a guild or play with friends its hell of alot more fun.

If you just want the story.. there are 2 ways..

1. watch it on youtube

2. get a level 60 to carry you through it.

Which only the later one of the two are emersive since that is the only option to get to choose what you say and do.

If you feel serious about the game and want to learn more, here's a great playlist that will get you started:

hope this help

I have a Sith warrior class now a marauder level 60 it was hard to grind to level 60 but I got there here is my top tips for playing the game and what helped me.

(1). Learn your class I hear you say that Vette is a bad companion as she is the first one you get Vette is a awesome DPS you need to learn how to make her work for your class Vette has some great skills and when told to attack first takes most of the mobs from you allowing you to then jump in and finish them off,also learn your abilities for me i would use key binding like 1 2 3 and to those i have (1) Force charge which gives me 3 rage and does damage when i jump on mobs (2) battering Assault which gives me like 5 more rage and more damage to the mob then (3) i use ravage to finish them off its very important you learn your class check on line for tutorials about your class there is tons out there.

Dont worry too much about Vette as you level up you get Malavai Quinn which is a very awesome DPS healer

(2). Dont go free to play it takes allot longer to grind levels plus when you hit lv 20 you get limited on stuff experience goes very slow at a reduced rate and credits cap,you cant get group loot,or use Artifact equipment which is the highest purple mods you can even buy these on the GTN at levels as low at 15 and use them in your Armour, its so worth the 12 euro to become a subscriber because you can use the purple mods and also you get rest experience, by rest experience this means log of in a Cantina when you go to bed log back on you have rest experience which doubles your XP till it runs out.

(3). Group flashpoints and do flashpoints heroics and also world missions use minor xp boosts which sometimes come from class missions and also use flash point experience boosts when you do flash points do as many missions as possible before your class missions get that edge on your class mission xp.

(4). Always keep your gear up to date bes thing to do is get some adaptive armour and keep adding mods to it some missions give you armouring,mods,and enhancements,then you simply put these into your adaptive armour,if your going to a new planet and you picked up some basic comms bring them to fleet and travel to the supplies wing go to the vendor for that planet and buy mods for your armour and again replace them this gives you an edge on that planet,key thing is learn your class and armour.

I would recommend you check any of the below guides and get subscriber as you will find it benefits you its hard to get to level 60 its not easy it takes time but that's the fun learning your class (PS) i came onto the forums as my other class was as very low HP think it was 2k HP at level 42 because i did not learn my class or how to mod my armour and i got chewed out by elites and bashed over it so i learned the hard way got egg on my face then all i can suggest is read up on your class learn it learn your abilities and have fun don't go in o.o i want to be level 60 why cant i kill mobs have fun love the story and lore have fun and you shall go far very quick

I hope these help and i guess you got some study to do :) have fun may the force be with you

Edited by martinglom

I can see what your problem is at, I love the stroy of the bioware games as well, they are soo good. But The difference between those games and this one is.. that this one is a mmo.

Well they both have a story, yes but in a single player game such as kotor your can just play the main story and be fine when it comes to leveling and difficulty.

In swtor thats not the case, you have to level above the quest you are at and the mobs or they'll be as you describe, hard as *meep*.

An easy way to see if a quest will be easy or hard is to look in your quest log, if the quest is green its easy if its yellow its a challenge, if it is orange its hard.

So inbetween the main story missions do some side quest, do some pvp, some daily flashpoints or whatever flows your boat. If you keep your quest at green you'll be fine. The higher level you get... the more you have to do this "exp grinding" if you want to call it that.

Another way to help is in the legacy tab, there you can help you gain more exp form class quest and such which will help you keep you up to par with your quest levels. Theres also exp boost you get or buy from cartel market that will help with that as well. Some weekends on the year has double exp. Joining a guild can grant you up to 10% bonus xp. Being a subscriber is getting you alot more features that makes it easyer and you get bonus exp from that as well.

Heroics, if you have stumble apon these and think they are hard.. well those are meant to be played in a group of ppl in that level or slightly above. if it says heroic +2, you need 2 people or more, if it says +4 you need a 4 man group.

Speaking of groups, if you have friends who play questing is easyer with more players obviously though if you start to debend on them you maybe suddenly when you try stuff on your own again you can find that you are too low level.

Its a long way to 60 but if you get in a guild or play with friends its hell of alot more fun.

If you just want the story.. there are 2 ways..

1. watch it on youtube

2. get a level 60 to carry you through it.

Which only the later one of the two are emersive since that is the only option to get to choose what you say and do.

If you feel serious about the game and want to learn more, here's a great playlist that will get you started:

hope this help

Funny enough I have been having uber high levels carry me when possible... sadly they have to sleep sometimes :p and I am in a guild with the 10% exp increase as well as having a level 3 legacy allowing for 12% increase xp from class quests... as for PvP and flash points I am not to fond of doing "dungeons" until level cap... and this games dungeons are certainly on the long end... and PvP, well let us just say me and PvP have never gotten along. As for watching it on youtube, I wouldn't really mind it so much if MMOs weren't the most boring gaming youtube videos around. I absolutely despise relying on potions, or stims as they are called (I mean in complete emergencies maybe, like against bosses or whatnot, but I refuse to rely on them in general combat)... and I get my skills ASAP upon leveling (does not help that the only healing skill class skill marauders get has a dang 20M cooldown O_O on top of some basic skills having up to a 3M cooldown, like seriously what is with MMOs and their massive cooldown times???). I am level 19 now and doing level 19 quests but am still getting rekt... as for "companions" it is more like companion... not sure how everyone has more then 1 (excluding the free non-combat droid you get with your ship) seeing as all I have is the starting companion (who again has no heal for some bloody reason -_-)... I guess I will have to be restricted to only playing the game when my high level buddies are on which is kind of sad seeing as I really want to get into this game but it is several leagues ahead of the difficulty of other popular MMOs like GW2 and WoW... I feel this game could have lived out as a subscription only had it been a little more accommodating like GW2 and WoW are (with questing being extraordinarily easy, dungeons having multiple levels of difficulty, with the first one being more story oriented, and making the most difficult part being getting geared up at max level... but that is just the opinion of one who finds enjoyment in being a bamf over having a tough time making it past simple side quests)

Also a note: I more or less do not play any MMOs with randoms (with the exception of group finder elements) and hence forth never ask for help...

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am a subscriber, and even still the difficulty is overbearing...

Edited by wolfwerewolf

Funny enough I have been having uber high levels carry me when possible... sadly they have to sleep sometimes :p and I am in a guild with the 10% exp increase as well as having a level 3 legacy allowing for 12% increase xp from class quests... as for PvP and flash points I am not to fond of doing "dungeons" until level cap... and this games dungeons are certainly on the long end... and PvP, well let us just say me and PvP have never gotten along. As for watching it on youtube, I wouldn't really mind it so much if MMOs weren't the most boring gaming youtube videos around. I absolutely despise relying on potions, or stims as they are called (I mean in complete emergencies maybe, like against bosses or whatnot, but I refuse to rely on them in general combat)... and I get my skills ASAP upon leveling (does not help that the only healing skill class skill marauders get has a dang 20M cooldown O_O on top of some basic skills having up to a 3M cooldown, like seriously what is with MMOs and their massive cooldown times???). I am level 19 now and doing level 19 quests but am still getting rekt... as for "companions" it is more like companion... not sure how everyone has more then 1 (excluding the free non-combat droid you get with your ship) seeing as all I have is the starting companion (who again has no heal for some bloody reason -_-)... I guess I will have to be restricted to only playing the game when my high level buddies are on which is kind of sad seeing as I really want to get into this game but it is several leagues ahead of the difficulty of other popular MMOs like GW2 and WoW... I feel this game could have lived out as a subscription only had it been a little more accommodating like GW2 and WoW are (with questing being extraordinarily easy, dungeons having multiple levels of difficulty, with the first one being more story oriented, and making the most difficult part being getting geared up at max level... but that is just the opinion of one who finds enjoyment in being a bamf over having a tough time making it past simple side quests)

Also a note: I more or less do not play any MMOs with randoms (with the exception of group finder elements) and hence forth never ask for help...

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am a subscriber, and even still the difficulty is overbearing...

Why I took the route I did in my reply was exactly what you just said again.. you are doing quest at your level... those are yellow quest as I mentioned, that is not easy. You want to be 1 or 2 levels above atleast and at that point it your gear doesn't matter as much as players above keep on pushing. But yes you need to know what are your main stats and switch out gear as you find them not too much fuzz.

Think of it this way.. If you are in a fight with an even match of skill.. that wouldn't be an easy fight. It would be challenging so just because you are level 19 doesn't mean you should be doing level 19 quest. It means that level 19 quest will be challenging for you.

Flashpoints, or dungeons as you mention. Those are more challenging quest that you do in a four man group and just as like normal questing is.. they have levels as well. So if you wait until the end game you will have missed a WHOLE lot of flashpoint and it will be new and hard. Its from these you learn to act your role. These you do to get a whole lot exp, cash and new gear.

PvP, well if you look up what your role is, its a WHOLE lot easyer. But you don't do it to win, you do it to have fun and gain exp and cash.

Another way to feel to get better is to know your rotation ( in which order you do your spells or abilities). Train against dummies that can be found here and there.

Know your enemie, theres normal mobs, silver, gold, and... star? and in that order is the difficulty of it in which the star one is the hardest.

If you now really don't want to do flashpoints and pvp.. Pick EVERY side quest you find.. beggining with quest that are green, quests that are below you but NOT grey. And simply do them. Suddenly you will eventually find yourself out leveling not only quest but the planet itself. Do main story ONlY when its green. And if its not keep green side questing.

If all the quest on the planet you are on are your level or above.. go back a planet.

This way you won't be able to get below the main quest or even the same level. and if you still find yourself having a hard time. During questing on green quests, kill mobs more, pick fights you don't need to do. Will earn you more exp aswell. In legacy pick the exploreation exp bonus.

eventually when you feel more experienced you can start to try on yellow quest if you feel like green ones are too easy.

this is your alternative

I guess I will have to be restricted to only playing the game when my high level buddies are on which is kind of sad seeing as I really want to get into this game but it is several leagues ahead of the difficulty of other popular MMOs like GW2 and WoW... I feel this game could have lived out as a subscription only had it been a little more accommodating like GW2 and WoW are (with questing being extraordinarily easy, dungeons having multiple levels of difficulty, with the first one being more story oriented, and making the most difficult part being getting geared up at max level

Those mmo's are not story driven so you keep on doing side quest and what not and do level up.. the main selling point for Swtor is the imersive story.. and since you just can't only do the main story missions alone because it out levels you kinda quickly. That might be a problem for Swtor, but an mmo wouldn't work properly if it only was main story or it would have a CRAP ton more story which would have cost even more money to make.

I agree on that swtor is harder to get into.. but for me its not hard. Its becuase the lack of relevant up to date information. You have to search a whole lot more to find out what you need to know or ask in the forums or guildies. That has an upside to it though.. It makes it more interactive community but when you need information fast.. its not too good if you're not the social kinda person.

Swtor stands out in the mmo crowd for the better and for the worse

Edited by WolfyZack

To be fair, Marauder is perhaps the hardest choice for a first char. There are "a lot of buttons to press", and you have to learn the rage mechanics, all the while the game is expecting you to kill stuff faster than they can kill you. Vette may provide the extra oomph, and Quinn may keep you alive just long enough, but it's always a close call until you really know your class.

Other classes are more forgiving: Juggers are more resilient, and everyone else starts combat with a full energy pool and has easier mechanics to empower special attacks.

The Sith Warrior companion you are given from the first planet is worthless when it comes to helping you in any real way, she has no heal and her damage is average at best. ...

PS- Please don't post something like "It's not that hard.", .

Well, it is funny that I was just complaining that SoR was too easy. :)

But, on topic - and I don't know if this applies to you, but - is your companion properly geared?

Some people never gear up their companions, and then complain that they are too weak.

Some people seem to think there is specific "companion gear". Companions can use any gear that is suitable for their class - that is, the same light, medium, heavy, or adaptive, mod-able or not, armor that everyone uses. There are some bits of gear that can only be used by a specific companion, but that's not the only gear they can use. Just make sure the gear you put on them has the proper stats for them.

A healer companion is usually best, and Treek is probably the best one to level with. But, if you don't have a healer companion yet, gear up your favourite DPS or tank comp and be prepared to heal-up in between battles.

Most of the general tips have been mentioned above, but I'd like to add: make good use of your stuns and interrupt, use your Heroic Moment when you have to, and start using your healing companion, Cpt. Quinn, once you get him (very soon). Use Might Stims -- you can buy them for a pittance, but they'll add an extra bit of DPS for an hour. Also, don't be afraid to use your defensive cooldowns -- Saber Ward, Cloak of Pain and Force Camouflage -- to avoid or reduce incoming damage.

Marauders are one of two DPS-only classes in the game (the other are snipers, who are a lot easier to play and have better survivability in the hands of a new player). Meaning there are no heals except for your Heroic Moment and the miniscule self-heals from Bleed crits in Annihiliation. An easier class to start out with until you get the hang of the mechanics would be Mercenary, Sorcerer, or Sniper.

In addition, check Dulfy.net for guides to your class. These are geared towards endgame raiders, but have a lot of descriptions that will be helpful while leveling (plus it's always good to break in habits early). If you're a Carnage Marauder, Dulfy's guide has already been updated for 3.0, if you're Annihilation or Fury, it's still worth having a look at the old 2.x guide. (Sorry, martinglom, but your links are all terrible and outdated :p)

I can only emphasize oin the Heroic Moment - I often have the impression as if this is a bit underrated by players.

The Heroic Moment is a great tool, imho.

And you can shorten its "cooldown time" via the Legacy window.

Besides, what I often do as well is buying in the Legacy Window the possibility to shorten the time my Companions need for selling stuff. It really helps accumulating a bit of wealth if they can come back after 30 seconds or even less, because you can stand by the loot, then, and immediately send the companion to sell stuff, which is nice when your inventory is almost full. :D ( Happens to me all of the time ! :rolleyes: )

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

What server are you on and what hours do you play? Msg me, and if you're on the same server at the same hours I play, my lvl 43 Operative will heal you through Balmorra until you get Quinn. A healer makes life possible for a Sentinel/Marauder, and once you hit 50, the class suddenly becomes a powerful, hardy blast to play.

Most of the people who complain about the game being "too easy" already have a couple of characters at 55 or 60, have maxxed affection with more than one companion and have gotten several Presence bonuses that make any companions way more effective. Not to mention the legacy bonuses, the credits you ship down from your main characters so you can afford to optimally gear your lower level alts.

Your first character is going to be hard. Probably punishingly hard. My "main" is a commando, and there were several places where she got her butt handed to her-- Taris and Voss were nightmares, and so was melee-heavy Hoth. My Sentinel had similar issues on some planets, while others were a cakewalk. The game isn't built the way most single-player RPGs are-- the gentle ramp-up of difficulty that helps you learn the game. Instead, you're thrown into the deep end with huge difficulty spikes, until several levels later, you get the skill that makes the planet much simpler. Meanwhile, you're up to your neck in grindy, painful torture.

It gets easier. A lot easier. After having two 60s, and the associated Presence and buffs from two full crews of affectionate companions, my operative's actually having a fairly easy time of it.

Hang in there! It does get better. It'll get better for you soon, once you have your healer.

--a fellow easy-mode story player

To be fair, Marauder is perhaps the hardest choice for a first char. There are "a lot of buttons to press", and you have to learn the rage mechanics, all the while the game is expecting you to kill stuff faster than they can kill you. Vette may provide the extra oomph, and Quinn may keep you alive just long enough, but it's always a close call until you really know your class.

Other classes are more forgiving: Juggers are more resilient, and everyone else starts combat with a full energy pool and has easier mechanics to empower special attacks.

Exactly this. Marauder/Sentinel is the most unforgiving class for a person learning how to play this game.

I feel for ya! I was in the same position two years ago, having never played an MMORPG. I had trouble pushing the elevator buttons. I misunderstood an ability for a weapon. I got killed every time I went out. I just didn't get it at all. And, you know? I'm not stupid. I have a friggin' Masters Degree, fer Chrissakes. And ever 12 year old in the world was beating the crap out of me.

But Hang-In-There! People in THIS FORUM RIGHT HERE gave me the hints and encouragement to soldier on, and now I have 5 characters 55 or slightly almost there and I can't hardly BELIEVE the mistakes I made and how I misunderstood so much.

The advice you're being given here is great. You need to learn how to LISTEN to what you are being told.

It's all good. Stop resisting. Listen.

The game is hard to a new player. SWTOR is very much like the Sith organization; prove you're strong or die. Plain and simple. It will only get easier after you hit level 47 and can go Makeb.

Games such as c9 and wiz101 pretty much babysit you through the early levels, to the extent that starter quests have NPCs literally show you what skills to use and when to use them. SO by the time you get around to level 10 you are fairly competent in killing mobs. There is also an agro limit. Only x amount of mobs can attack you at the same time and this scales up with your level. Doesn't happen here. You can agro every living thing on a planet at the same time lol.

A marauder is not the easiest first class for a new player. There is a lot to learn and Vette Is pretty much useless after you out-level Dromund Kaas and unless you are Light Side, you will not earn affection from her through conversations.

To make things easier for you, try to be at least 2 levels higher than the mobs you are fighting. If you are level 19 then you should be on Balmorra. You will het your healer companion; Malavai Quinn on this planet (which you should use hereafter). If you are on Nar Shaddaa then you will not have a good time there. And you probably won't have the Commendations to properly gear up your toon. or companion. Especially since Your comp uses different gear from you.

Try to group up for quests where possible because you even though someone has a toon the same level as yours, they may just be on an alt and can give you their legacy buff. Plus their gear would be superior and they can just wipe mobs while you be their side-kick :D

Then there are Flashpoints and War Zones. I don't think that you can level up solely on the planetary quests and be of a reasonable level for the higher planets. Also doing the flashpoints earns you a decent amount on basic commendations.

Perhaps you might consider starting a new character and picking a different class. The game may not seem so difficult then.

I started a Jedi Sage and was getting hammered by Flesh raiders on Thyton. The leveling was slow and painful. I pretty much spammed war zones and Kuat Drive Yards from level 10 /15. In the end I quit my Sage and started something else. And my Sage was the very last of 12 characters that I level up to 55 and it's now my main.

Except for Hard mode Flash points and Operations ,most of the content seems easy now. The only place I have to really watch myself is Oricon Heroic Area.

I would suggest you :

1. Change your marauder's discipline. I suspect you are playing Carnage. Switch to Fury. This is the AoE discipline for Marauders. I think it's better for leveling up.

2. Re-roll as a Juggernaut tank. Vette will be way more useful then and you will be familiar with the quests and mobs.

3. Play a Sorcerer. Even if you are DPS, Khem Val will hold agro, you can heal and you have static barrier to take some of the damage off you.

4. Play a Bounty Hunter since their first companion is a healer.

-Make sure you are using Cloak of pain at all times especially before you start a fight.

-Make sure you are in the correct form/stance (Shii-Cho for Fury) as well as your companion.

-Let your companion start the fight and pull agro from mobs (ignore if your comp is a healer).

Edited by Yezzan

I came here at first to see what I was doing wrong on my Sith Warrior. I don't die but have to heal after almost every fight on Nar Shaddaa. Since I'm a returning player, I had around 650K to spend and I used that plus basic commendations to equip a full set of Adaptable armor. I then go to the GTN to update my companions stuff. I do this around every 4 levels or so. Nar Shaddaa is around level 20-24 and when I got there I was level 21 with a full set of updated equipment.

It was kicking my butt. In fact, though I wanted a Sith Warrior (Vengeance Jugg) I rolled a Sith Assassin which was so much easier. However, I keep going back to the Sith Warrior because I love Force Charge that much ... plus I wanted the companion at the end of Chapter 1.

Thanks to this thread, I looked and sure enough I"m running orange and yellow quests. Yep, I had green quests but I was doing the others. I switched to the green quests instead and was destroying pretty much everything in my path.

To the OP .... don't be like me! Check your quest colors and stick to green. It really is that much of a difference and makes the game far more fun. Also, if you have to do orange, just remember to pull out all the stops and expect to heal yourself quite a bit after every pull.

I started a Jedi Sage and was getting hammered by Flesh raiders on Thyton. The leveling was slow and painful.

I had a very similar experience with my very first character in SWTOR - a Sage - but even worse ! : I didn't know A THING about the "tank/healer" concept ... I was merely wondering why my Sage got defeated that often and why he was not able to defeat his enemies that good ... I really "pa<rked" him, then, and begun with a Smuggler, which was so much more fun to me !

The Sage, my very first char ever in SWTOR, is still beneath level 30. I use him as an Biotech crafter, so to say, and I think that I'll level him through his class story one day - but I'll never forget that shock when I realized that SWTOR was more or less merely an hack & slay RPG ... As an RPG player, I had had high hopes of things to learn about Jedi Philosophy ... As a Sage ! - But no. Hack & Slay instead. Without the Class Stories I would have abandoned SWTOR loooooong ago ..

I had a very similar experience with my very first character in SWTOR - a Sage - but even worse ! : I didn't know A THING about the "tank/healer" concept ... I was merely wondering why my Sage got defeated that often and why he was not able to defeat his enemies that good ... I really "pa<rked" him, then, and begun with a Smuggler, which was so much more fun to me !

The Sage, my very first char ever in SWTOR, is still beneath level 30. I use him as an Biotech crafter, so to say, and I think that I'll level him through his class story one day - but I'll never forget that shock when I realized that SWTOR was more or less merely an hack & slay RPG ... As an RPG player, I had had high hopes of things to learn about Jedi Philosophy ... As a Sage ! - But no. Hack & Slay instead. Without the Class Stories I would have abandoned SWTOR loooooong ago ..

If you want to know more about the jedi and such.. I can recomend for you to play SW Knights the old replublic 1 and 2. You'll see some of the emperial stuff as well. The fist game is really good. Its plays out before Swtor and is the pillar of the story for it. If you like the revan story I must say its almost a must.

One of the cool things about MMO's is that there are many different fights, after a while you see pretty much what all the trash does and can jump from fight to fight quickly. Here are some things I have learned about playing both my Marauder and my Sentinel:

1) This class IS hard! Not overly so in my opinion but I had to think differently than others, I ran into the same thing with my Operative and my Powertech.

2) Before you pick a fight scan the area. If a Patrol (wandering Silver or Gold mob is coming you can usually see him and kill him first away from the group. This leads me to how, If you have a Tank companion (Captain Peirce) CTRL+1 tells him to hit the mob you currently have highlighted. He has a taunt that he will use if you have him in his guard stance. Marauders rely on DOT's (damage over time, like bleed effects), Debuffs, short CC's (crowd controls) that reduce the damage that the Gold can do, and built up rage, basically if you keep spamming hits you will not do as much damage to him as you need to. Every few levels I have to test and figure out what abilities to use on a gold. If I die I res and try again.

3) Heal after every fight, it is only after I geared up my healer companion with my Tank that I was able to just keep fighting without healing.

4) Identify what is in a group, most groups consist of pretty much the same setup, set Pierce on the strongest first (Silver or Gold) then jump any healers in the group, and trash next, after all that is done help Peirce kill the strong. (BTW if you don't have pierce you are the "tank" until you get him" you are squishy so use your CC's and defensive Cooldowns.)

5) Flashpoints are an easy and excellent way to get gear and learn your roll with a real tank. Don't be a Sentard, The Tank is the guy who should lead the fight and he signed up to get his butt kicked by the bosses and mobs. Stand behind the Boss/mob whenever possible so the Tank can face him away from you, and let people know if you do not know the mechanics. if something drops with Strength AND crit or power need on it, if it has defense/shield/absorb hit greed so the Tank can get it if he needs it.

6) Stims are your friend, they last an hour at least and increase your Strength, you want might stims. They are part of the game mechanic and once you start raiding or doing Hard Mode flashpoint you will be expected to use them.

7) Use your basic comms to upgrade your gear and get mod-able gear ASAP, this drops from Flashpoints and can be bought from vendors.

The game is not unreasonably difficult, but it does challenge us in different ways, I prefer my Gunslinger but I have rolled every class and group role. If you find you really don't like being melee damage try a different character. You may find being a Juggernaut Tank best fits your style. He can take far more damage and once you get a healer you become a monster. Or maybe you would like a sniper to sit back and be a turret, I find it's easier since you can see all the mobs around you at once, and a geared Kaliyo is a scary Kaliyo. You must find your own rhythm and rotation what works for me may not work for you.

Good Luck and break those chains

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.