DPS question from a Tank

Lupious

I've always played Tank on my Sin, but recently I've been asked to DPS in raids a bit. My main question is about accuracy. I went Deception and from what I've read, you need to have 759 accuracy, no ifs, ands, or buts. I'm a returning player too, so can someone explain why accuracy is that important?

I just bought a full suit of the 186 basic comm gear expecting my accuracy to be somewhat near what I needed to be, and it turns out it's only 417! If I get implants off the GTN instead of the basic comm implants I'm at 621. That's still 138 points away. I'll go ahead and replace a few things and/or augments, but man it seems like I'm giving up so much power/crit/surge just to get accuracy that high and I want to make sure it's absolutely required and I'm doing it right. This is for PvE only by the way.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Lupious

I've always played Tank on my Sin, but recently I've been asked to DPS in raids a bit. My main question is about accuracy. I went Deception and from what I've read, you need to have 759 accuracy, no ifs, ands, or buts. I'm a returning player too, so can someone explain why accuracy is that important?

I just bought a full suit of the 186 basic comm gear expecting my accuracy to be somewhat near what I needed to be, and it turns out it's only 417! If I get implants off the GTN instead of the basic comm implants I'm at 621. That's still 138 points away. I'll go ahead and replace a few things and/or augments, but man it seems like I'm giving up so much power/crit/surge just to get accuracy that high and I want to make sure it's absolutely required and I'm doing it right. This is for PvE only by the way.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Its 758 actually :p

Anyway, that number is not a 100% necessity, but its a very high recommendation. This is because with 758 accuracy (and the companion bonus), your chance to miss on attacks is 0% (unless its an auto-attack). Any less, and your big hits can miss, which causes consistency problems.

For example, would you really want a Crit Discharge to miss the target, using up 20 force, 3 charges of Surging Charge, and a global cooldown, only to do nothing to the target instead of doing >10k damage?

Anyway, if you want a DPS set thats fine for all SM content, you're gonna need quite a bit of crafted stuff:

Accuracy/Power Earpiece (Crafted)

Accuracy/Power Implants (Crafted x2)

Advanced Initiative Enhancement 36 (Crafted accuracy/power, x4)

Advanced Adept Enhancement 36 (Crafted power/surge, x3)

Power + Mainstat proc relics (Crafted)

13 Power or Willpower augments (Crafted, personal preference)

1x Accuracy Augment (Crafted, blue is fine for 100% accuracy)

Get your crit rating through mods + Crystals, and everything will be fine afterwards.

For example, would you really want a Crit Discharge to miss the target, using up 20 force, 3 charges of Surging Charge, and a global cooldown, only to do nothing to the target instead of doing >10k damage?

It actually doesn't spend your charges if you deal no damage, nor will your Duplicity be wasted in such a situation. Neat fact. Granted if you miss a Surging Charge trigger, that's going to make you cry.

It's very possible to DPS without any accuracy. In fact, for pretty much all specs the optimum average DPS will be obtained with less than 759 accuracy.

The main reason people stack accuracy is reliability, since rotations tend to relly on procs that depend on the correct sequence of attacks being executed, missing 10% of your hits isn't just a 10% loss of DPS, depending on which hits miss you could suffer a much greater (or smaller) loss of DPS for it. Nobody wants to sometimes hit an enrage just to shave a few seconds off of fights when they get lucky.

Also, sometimes you may called upon to interrupt a cast. This is rare but when it happens, you don't want the interrupt to miss.

From doing a ton of PVP in the blizzard game, I've been a fan of keeping your hit % (accuracy) where it should be. Miss an interrupt or a cyclone cuz of low hit % as a healer... can easily mean a BG loss. As others have said, it means you miss. It can be as simple as missing a filler, or missing on a big damge CD, or a key step along the way. and heaven forbid multiple misses in a row.

From doing a ton of PVP in the blizzard game, I've been a fan of keeping your hit % (accuracy) where it should be. Miss an interrupt or a cyclone cuz of low hit % as a healer... can easily mean a BG loss. As others have said, it means you miss. It can be as simple as missing a filler, or missing on a big damge CD, or a key step along the way. and heaven forbid multiple misses in a row.

And if you somehow manage to miss your first Death Field AND Demolish, you can just go stealth out of combat and cry in a corner.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.