When to worry about augments?

GlassmanA

I'm a level 49 Powertech first character in the game and I'm loving it so far. But I do have a question as to when I should bother to start using augments. I've been using adaptive armor to level and I've been keeping it up to date with leveled up cybertech and commendations. But I haven't really dipped into augments at all yet. Are they something that should be treated as more of an end game enhancement? Or should I start adding them at 50 to finish leveling up? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd say if you're getting through your missions without too much trouble (sounds like you've kept up on the rest of the gear), I wouldn't worry about them just yet. Once you've hit 58, you can start putting in the highest augments. I'm thinking of it mostly from a cost perspective: You have to buy/craft the augmentation kit and augments themselves, and then pay to add an augmentation slot to your items. That can start adding up fast if you're low on funds.

If you find yourself needing an extra boost along the way, though, you can pop in a few to see if that helps.

I augmented a full set of gear today on my shadow tank (so using Shield, Defense, and Absorb augments). I had already prepared 5 Augmentation Slot Kits MK-10, so I saved about 250k credits there, but overall I spent about 1,500,000 credits.

In other words, don't augment until you absolutely have to. You can do HM FPs and SM ops just fine in unaugmented gear, if you play decently.

Edited by DogeDandolo

Ok definitely sounds like something I should only use on a piece of gear I plan on keeping for a long time then. I'll stick with just the cybertech and commendation route until I hit 60 and finish up the revan quest lines. Thanks much for the advice.

I'm also back in the game, working a character up. I've started getting some augments now that I'm in the 50's. I reckon procrastinating the expensive modding stuff has worked okay for me. I'm going for adaptive armour now that I've settled on the look I want my character to have. :cool: Edited by Sharzade

It's not that expensive to slot some augments as you level up.

You can slot a chest piece (or whatever) with a tier 2 augment slot/augment, then follow up with a tier 4 on your legs, a tier five on your headwear, a tier 6 on your feet, etc.

Stat boosts are stat boosts. +X to this and +Y to that is never a bad thing when the alternative is no bonus at all.

I wouldn't upgrade everything every step of the way, but grabbing some augments as I go and then bringing everything up to speed once I hit the cap? That isn't very expensive.

I'm a level 49 Powertech first character in the game and I'm loving it so far. But I do have a question as to when I should bother to start using augments. I've been using adaptive armor to level and I've been keeping it up to date with leveled up cybertech and commendations. But I haven't really dipped into augments at all yet. Are they something that should be treated as more of an end game enhancement? Or should I start adding them at 50 to finish leveling up? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Every little bit helps, but there is cost effectiveness to consider.

If you upgrade slots and augments as you level you are spending a LOT of credits. So, the better scenario is to invest in the best slot kits available - MK-10, install them into your adaptive gear (including moddable MH and OH if you have them; but NOT ear, implants, and relics as those are not moddable pieces), and then find cheap lower level augments to install in the slots. Even if those augments are below your character's level they would still help.

The primary issue with this scenario is even doing so you are looking at spending 70k+ per slot kit to acquire and install (crafting them completely self-sufficiently costs about 26k but they sell on the GTN for more than 50k each [on the Harbinger], and installing the kits costs 42k each). So the question is: do you have 700k+ credits just sitting around? Because that is what it would take to do the above.

The alternative is to acquire lower level slot kits (not easy to come by because few use them - my guild had stacks of lower level augmentation slot kit components and just vendored them because NO ONE wanted them), but you would eventually want to invest in MK-10's anyway. So all you are doing is spending less credits now to spend that 700k later.

The point is - as others have pointed out - that augments are generally reserved for end game, and even then only "required" for large group content (aka operations aka raiding).

So, the better scenario is to invest in the best slot kits available - MK-10, install them into your adaptive gear (including moddable MH and OH if you have them; but NOT ear, implants, and relics as those are not moddable pieces), and then find cheap lower level augments to install in the slots. Even if those augments are below your character's level they would still help.

Earpieces are augmentable.

....But I do have a question as to when I should bother to start using augments.

I'd say that, if you are mainly doing PvE you don't need to worry about augments until you get in to Operations, and even then, they only make your character a bit stronger, so probably don't really matter until HM or NiM Ops.

For PvP, you probably need to use them as soon as you get serious about winning, as every little bit counts.

One thing to keep in mind about augments is that the slots can cost a fair bit to buy/make and install. So, before you augment a piece of equipment, keep in mind that you won't want to change that piece for a better or different looking one later unless you want to buy an augment slot again. And, while you can put augment slots on Earpieces and Implants, you'd definitely want to get the max rating pieces you can, before wasting augment slots on them.

Edited by JediQuaker

Not just Earpieces, but Relics and Implants are Augmentable, in fact EVERY piece of gear in the game is augmentable, even Droid Gear is.

But why augment something that WILL BE totally replaced quickly except at endgame? My intent was to suggest that only stuff that would stick around for a while should be augmented while leveling.

Because of the static stat nature of ear pieces, implants, and relics they are completely replaced and the augment slot kits you install in them are potentially wasted (i.e you add a slot kit to an ear piece only to get a better ear piece shortly thereafter). By only installing slot kits on adaptive gear that one likes the appearance of one is more likely to get more time out of those slot kits.

Edited by psandak

Earpieces are augmentable.

If you're short on cash, augmenting earpieces is a poor investment as you have to re-augment every time you get a better one.

But if you have the credits, augment away.

Edited by Khevar

It's 42,000 credits to add a MK10 kit to your gear ( at least to 186 rating relics). The MK10 Kits ranges from 55-60k credits. So it costs quite a lot. The augments themselves are over 260k a piece.

Very expensive. Only your main needs to be augmented

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.