Why stop with the romance on companions?

Killance

I don't get why they stopped it. Would love to see more past level 50, a prologue of some type. Marriage, dating that turns into fights, SOMETHING to keep the relationships interesting.

All dies down after you finish them, gets boring even having them out.

I'm hoping that in the future there will be more to do with companions. I'd love a companion/romance expansion :D

I even started a thread to gather everyone who wants this in one place, so that hopefully Bioware can see, that many of us love this kind of stuff in the game. :)

I guess I'm the odd one that really has no desire to see companion romance expanded, and would prefer the dev team focus on fixing playability issues rather than messing with systems that currently work well.

I build affection for stat boosts and improved crafting results, not because I enjoy oogling backstabber Quinn, the bug man or redneck Riggs.

I'm hoping that in the future there will be more to do with companions. I'd love a companion/romance expansion :D

I even started a thread to gather everyone who wants this in one place, so that hopefully Bioware can see, that many of us love this kind of stuff in the game. :)

I seriously, SERIOUSLY, doubt that it's 'many'. I would estimate its a rather select few, and the type who read romance novels and watch soaps.

When bringing this subject up within my guild, five or six people outright laughed......

Indeed. I'd love to see if not a companion-focused, but a companion-heavy patch. Rebalance companion skills, streamline them, expand stories, etc.

I seriously, SERIOUSLY, doubt that it's 'many'. I would estimate its a rather select few, and the type who read romance novels and watch soaps.

When bringing this subject up within my guild, five or six people outright laughed......

Well, I think it's many, judging from the number of like minded posts. Time will tell. There is only one way to find out, and that's to ask people.

By the way, I haven't watched soaps since I was a teen, like 30 years ago. And there is nothing wrong with reading a romance novel here and there. I read many genres. You and I can agree to disagree, that's cool, but I intend to pursue this will all the zeal and dedication I'm capable of. :D

As with many other issues, the reason likely is time vs. gain.

It costs a lot of time and money to properly create a romance story for all the romancable companions. There are 20 or so (?) companions that can be romanced. I doubt many players would be contend with just getting some emails from their companion spouses, so they would need to do it properly. But voice and animation for so many companions are way too expensive. In the end it remains a one-time experience per char.

The developers put a lot of focus on reusing game elements. A prime example of that are KDY and Blood Hunt. Introducing random parts into one FP allow more variety with minimal effort, since most of the FP model (design, etc.) can be reused. That's why it's sensible to create romance stories for NPCs (as seen on Makeb and now also in SoR), since they can be reused by all the classes. Instead of creating 20+ short stories they can just have 4 longer ones. (Male and female NPC, Imperial and Rep.)

It's also better for character and story development. Romancing a companion adds nothing to the story, since it happens on the sideline. You pull the companion out somewhere on the fleet, or your ship, or in your stronghold, talk to them and send them away on crew missions again. Romancing a story NPC on the other hand allows for more variety in the storyline, e.g. "Hello, cute Sith" vs. "Why would I trust Imp scum?".

That last part also allows players to explore several romance options with the same NPC. For companions they would need to roll a new toon to experience a different story for the same companions, with story NPCs they can use their alts to see all the options.

Would it be nice if the companion/spouse at least frowned, or complained, or even lost affection when you flirt with some story NPC?, Sure, but how often do players actually have that specific companion with them when talking to a certain NPC? Again, too much time and effort when the gain is potentially very small.

I think voicing one extra line for romanced Vette and one extra line for romanced Malavai(and six more lines for other Imperial romance interests) at the beginning of SoR wouldn't be a huge waste of resources, since they're in the cutscenes already, and we'd enjoy these.

Not to mention that we could get another letter from our romance companions. Just a letter would mean a lot.

How exactly are they broken? They seemed fine to me

You didn't look hard enough it would seem.

I think voicing one extra line for romanced Vette and one extra line for romanced Malavai(and six more lines for other Imperial romance interests) at the beginning of SoR wouldn't be a huge waste of resources, since they're in the cutscenes already, and we'd enjoy these.

Not to mention that we could get another letter from our romance companions. Just a letter would mean a lot.

As pointed out earlier, they're broken. This has been confirmed already.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I agree, a little goes a long way. Ideally we'd get missions and full on conversations with choices, but I'm a big believer in 'some is better than none.' :)

Basically, as it stands now, the companion romances were replaced with the 'girl/boy in every port" romancing scheme. The so called romantic asides from the 'married' companion are indecipherable from non-romantic content. I thought my game was bugged, and I did not get it, but apparently I did. Because the content is so minor, I regretted choosing the 'marry Vector' dialogue choice, since it made no sense for the character.

From now on, if I play a new character (who is also going to be a male), I will make sure the relationship remains uncommited, and simply switch to the pretty good one night stands in the expansion. That makes sense, and works well for me with the Sorcerer who was unable to marry Ashara, so is free to flirt from Makeb to Yavin. To be honest, I find the one night stands actually more engaging for the female PCs than the in-party romances, because the selection is pretty meh, and out of party is more fun (but the males will still get better ones, so no real reason to play a female for that).

If they only opened up Cytherat's romance to the female PCs (ha-ha)! Or in the next expansion, the males would romance a Human, and females can finally romance a male alien (ha-ha)!

Marriages are definitely a bad idea in this game. I consider them all annulled 1 week after the last letter arrived. :)

In this game, after Chapter 3 is done, for the best romantic experiences you gotta play an unattached Imperial bisexual male.

Edited by DomiSotto

As others have already said..it's called Return of Investment.

there is almost ZERO return for the investment BioWare would have to put into this.

I'd love to see it too, don't get me wrong. But really I only care about a couple of the romances..Kira, Nadia, maybe Vette...not really a fan of any of the other "romances" male or female....

how many may only care about one? or even NONE?

As said, again, you'd also only get a 1-shot. That's very little for a LOT of effort for Bio to put into it.

And even if they made "romance quest expansion" unlocks on the CM...how many would really buy them to make it worthwhile for BioWare to do? Not enough.

It's nice to hope for....sure...but it's not happening. Had SWTOR not failed and gone f2p in record time things would be much different. But sadly, as it stands, it's not.

The original game (lvls 1-50) was designed and built ground up by the actual company BW, and they had a long history of gripping storytelling, compelling game play and outstanding visuals. Sadly as with the rest of it's acquisitions EA has different views, goals and ways they do things that almost never coincide with their player base. Why monopolies and mega corps are bad for everyone, stifles creativity , competition and a willingness to make customers happy. Welcome to the new 21st century xD. We will never see the effort put into this game by the original BW again, just saying. Not bashing EA, they are a decent company as companies go , they just control to much, and just like the force absolute power corrupts absolutely

I don't get why they stopped it. Would love to see more past level 50, a prologue of some type. Marriage, dating that turns into fights, SOMETHING to keep the relationships interesting.

All dies down after you finish them, gets boring even having them out.

I have to agree, I'd love to see more development from your character's romance option (post 50). In fact, I'd even be happy if I got a "negative" reaction from my romanced companion if she sees my character flirt on Rishi or Yavin 4. It's like they don't even care anymore (they don't even seem to care if you pick light/dark options in this new expansion).

I have to agree, I'd love to see more development from your character's romance option (post 50). In fact, I'd even be happy if I got a "negative" reaction from my romanced companion if she sees my character flirt on Rishi or Yavin 4. It's like they don't even care anymore (they don't even seem to care if you pick light/dark options in this new expansion).

Affection points were discarded altogether for this expansion, unlike what happened with RotHC and even Oricon.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

Not to give away any spoilers, but as a Consular married to Nadia, I was surprised that she didn't b--ch slap me after I kissed a certain female NPC on rishi right in front of her!

She didn't even bat an eye lol

Guess she is cool with an open relationship :D

From now on, if I play a new character (who is also going to be a male), I will make sure the relationship remains uncommited, and simply switch to the pretty good one night stands in the expansion...

Marriages are definitely a bad idea in this game. I consider them all annulled 1 week after the last letter arrived. :)

In this game, after Chapter 3 is done, for the best romantic experiences you gotta play an unattached Imperial bisexual male.

So...if you marry a companion, do you not get romance options for other NPCs? Like, they don't even show up on the dialogue wheel?

Or do you just mean that you would want to remain unattached so it makes more sense roleplay-wise? (Or, as you say, you could consider it annulled...your spouse refusing to say a single word to you seems like pretty good grounds!)

Not to give away any spoilers, but as a Consular married to Nadia, I was surprised that she didn't b--ch slap me after I kissed a certain female NPC on rishi right in front of her!

Hmm, maybe that answers my question.

Edited by Clarian

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.