Anyone else find themselves skipping dialog?

SuberBaird

I was really pumped for this game because of the dialog, but I get really bored listening to it. Other than main story quests, I tend to skip the dialog.

I could really care less that this guy I'm freeing from a prison cell was smuggled in from some place blah blah blah... Or that I'm saving this person's village from such and such invasion or plague.

Except for the dialog this game feels like a poorly constructed MMO. It seems like the devs spent too much time on voice overs and the rest of the game suffered. No user created addons, no arena pvp, no guild banks, no LFG tool, and only four action bars.

Don't get me wrong this game is pretty cool, it's a great idea, I enjoy it, but I just feel this is an empty shell built around the voice overs. This game, compared to the recent MMOs, is a 2004 MMO not a 2011 one.

Occasionally I'll spacebar my way through a conversation if I'm not digging the voice acting (or I'm in a hurry), but I'll at least read the text first (I turned subtitles on). Unlike the blocks of quest text from other games I find myself actively engaged in side quests in SW:TOR. It's quite refreshing. Edited by Raijinvince

I tend to skip the questions until I have to make a choice. Story line I listen to it's interesting but the other quests omg sometimes it takes more time to listen to the bla gibber jabber that some aliens put out than doing the quest itself. Sorry I'm not going to learn their language. Personally I think they should have stolen a piece of tech from Startrek called the universal translator and just did it in English. Don't get me wrong it's interesting the first 5 times but I do love the game.

I was ready to skip almost all dialog going in, since I never read quest text in WoW or anything. I was pleasantly surprised, as in general the class quest and what I'll call the "main story quest" for each world are usually fairly engrossing.

I rarely listen to dialog for the 1-off quests. Sorry, I just don't want to hear whatever thin fiction you needed to invent to get me to kill 10 things or flip 3 switches or whatever.

But yeah, overall pleasantly surprised by the larger story arcs.

I'm getting tired of listening to the alien voices. If you're going to do voice overs for everything could it at least be in a language I could possibly understand?

As much as I like your honesty it hurts me to hear this...What's wrong with dialogue in alternate languages?

As much as I like your honesty it hurts me to hear this...What's wrong with dialogue in alternate languages?

Most of it is actually really annoying to listen to.

Except for the sad Ehor'ish blue elephants on Hoth who's pathetic whines are just so adorable.

Edited by Polly_Pocket

Most of it is actually really annoying to listen to.

Except for the sad Ehor'ish blue elephants on Hoth who's pathetic whines are just so adorable.

But why!? Is it because you can't be bothered to read the dialogue or because the accent is annoying? I really can't understand this :/

But why!? Is it because you can't be bothered to read the dialogue or because the accent is annoying? I really can't understand this :/

For me, it's because all the alien dialogue is horribly repetitive - they may say half a paragraph in text, but the voice actor mumbled one of 6 or 7 lines that is all they have for each language.

For me, it's because all the alien dialogue is horribly repetitive - they may say half a paragraph in text, but the voice actor mumbled one of 6 or 7 lines that is all they have for each language.

Yeah I have noticed this too. Maybe not that extreme but it does get repetitive.

Absolutely. Since I have the subtitles on, I usually am done reading what the NPC has to say well before he's done talking.

The highest selling point are these cutscenes and as you've mentioned, the majority are worthless to sit through given the copy & paste job they did regarding the quest content.

Mythic is the developer anyways. I made the mistake of buying WAR. I wanted to give them another chance but so far I'm unimpressed.

Thank God for Valve and that DotA 2 beta invite.

3 reasons.

1. It's extremely repetitive. After awhile you can actually hear the stuff repeating from previous quests.

2. A lot of the accents are just plain annoying to listen to, with the exception of the small blue elephants on Hoth.

3. The actual storyline for these side quests is all the same thing over and over. Oh no, we need 3 power supply turned off. Oh no, 3 people were captured. Etc. It's needed for leveling sure, but it's not interesting to read anymore.

I absolutely love the story. I find every quest, even side-quests, adds to the ambience of the over-arching experience on every planet.

So no, I don't skip through the dialogue.

And to address what someone else, the alien voices are fun, IMO.

And to address what someone else, the alien voices are fun, IMO.

Agreed.

Repetitive? Ever stop to think how many real life languages sound repetitive? Just think of how many articles you have to use to form grammatically correct sentences in English.