Just killed my first world boss and it was awesome until...

WarTornPanda

Did the group leader ninja anything? Or were his intentions pure? What would the problem be if he didn't take anything?

He didn't ninja anything actually. He thought of a number between 1-1000 and whispered it to someone that wasn't rolling on the item. Three of us went for the item and we picked a number. One guy picked 268 and another guy picked 269. Definitely did not alleviate the problem.

Just another reason I think ArenaNet is ahead of the curve with GW2 design philosophies where EVERYONE is rewarded based on their contribution in a battle.

Enough of this ninja looting crap.

That isnt the first game to do that, not ahead of the curve on that one.

regardless, a simple /roll x-y would be nice.

/random x-y would be another option.

Yeah I thought it was odd that there is no /roll as well. I was grouping with my husband I thought we were needing anything we needed, and he thought there was no point needing if we both needed it so he pressed greed. I pressed need before I realized he wasn't going to so I got it. With /roll we could have easily re-rolled. Obviously this particular scenario wasn't that big of a deal, I just kept it and he got the next upgrade... it was just odd not having the option.

there was no point needing if we both needed it so he pressed greed.

I don't understand, "no point" kind of implies that pressing need constitutes some greater sacrifice or effort rather than greed, but they're just buttons.. if you both need something it makes more sense than not to simply both press need, since that's what it's there for.. greed is the 'fall back' option.

faulty logic?

Downed the world boss on Alderaan only to have the raid leader ninja the loot. I assumed he put it on master looter to prevent other people from ninjaing not to ninja himself. General chat was on fire afterwards and he supposedly got kicked from the group.

Yeah I noticed this when I did a world boss. This has to be a mistake on the part of the design team, someone just didn't turn it on. I can't believe BioWare would forget something this important, hell a lot of casual raiding guilds don't have a real loot system(DKP, Loot Council etc) and they /roll as well. Especially since afaik they have no system in place to trade BoP items, so those using the need/greed system are not only effected by ninja looters, but also those that accidentally click the need instead of the greed.

Not to mention it seems a vast majority of the players(especially in the lower levels) have no idea at all what skills they want, a master looter is the only way to handle anything. I'd even prefer masterloot in flashpoints.

this game just works against people who want to group up and kill world bosses.

just so many ways for it to go wrong:

1. raid leader ninjas with master looter (premeditated)

2. leader accidentally loots under master looter but cannot trade the BOP items

3. raid leader ninjas when he discovers there is no roll system

4. ninjas need on every drop

5. noobs need on something they can't use or isn't optimal for their class

so much for being an MMO. it just ain't worth the effort to get a group together.

Irrelevant.

RPGs have used random rolls since people sat around their kitchen table in the 70s playing them. :rolleyes:

I only just realized they were referring to the chat command /roll not having a function. I don't PUG (I play with guildees) so we say in Team Speak (Hey who needs this?) and just give it to them.

Now I concur that /roll would definitely be useful, but my statement on PUGing still stands :p

Yeah I noticed this when I did a world boss. This has to be a mistake on the part of the design team, someone just didn't turn it on. I can't believe BioWare would forget something this important, hell a lot of casual raiding guilds don't have a real loot system(DKP, Loot Council etc) and they /roll as well. Especially since afaik they have no system in place to trade BoP items, so those using the need/greed system are not only effected by ninja looters, but also those that accidentally click the need instead of the greed.

Not to mention it seems a vast majority of the players(especially in the lower levels) have no idea at all what skills they want, a master looter is the only way to handle anything. I'd even prefer masterloot in flashpoints.

Basically this. ^

I'm really hoping that something is done soon. In itself, the feature is small, but it's one of many that have been excluded and it's a wonderful "quality of life" tool. No reason for it not to exist.

I remember people celebrating when BW first talked about "loot bags" in operations and how when loot dropped everyone would get a bag and there was a random chance of getting good things in your personal bag.

BW said it was their answer to preventing loot drama. Unfortunately it seems they only applied this to operations? C'mon BW you yourselves came up with the perfect answer to making loot drama a thing of the past and you didn't even bother to implement your own idea that the community celebrated throughout your own game?!

Seriously all this "need vs greed"/ninja/groups screwing each other over would stop in a heart beat if they only just implemented "loot bags", something BW themselves claimed to had come up with.