Day 1 Pre-Release FAQ and the debunking of trolls

Aristile

First let me say this, there are plenty of things to list as constructive complaints about the game (lack of a grace period, no mods at launch, red zoning regions, removal of features that were in beta that we liked, and other stuff like that.) The launch however is not one of them.

Tired of browsing forums and just getting frustrated? Here's a quick summary of issues/complaints people are bringing up that hold no water. Oh, and don't worry relevant information will be given in a separate list below calling out the whiners and trolls. Please note, the below section, which calls out most of the troll/whining posts, does contain quite a bit of opinion, but still holds a fair chunk of factual information that may be useful.

Responses to misinformed or whiny posts:

1. I should be in right now because I pre-ordered!

No, the advertisement says UP TO 5 (7) days. Your failure to read has no bearing on what you're entitled to,

2. I paid my extra $5 so I should be in on day one!

No you did not. That $5, at 99.99% of retailers unless you're getting scammed, is put towards the total cost of the game. So when you go to get your copy it'll be $54.99

3. My friend who pre-ordered (Month other than July) got in but I didn't!

Your either lying or it was a fluke in the system. No person claiming this has backed up their claim with any evidence.

4. I took work off (or skipped classes) to be here for launch! Bioware should know that people are doing this and let more people in!

I'm sure Bioware knows just how many people are incapable of setting priorities and have no patience; you don't need to add your number to that pool. Lack of planning or priorities in your life has no bearing on them.

5. This is the worst launch of any mmo EVER, and I know because I was in (lists every mmo's launch)!

Okay, you're wrong. I understand this is at the end of the day an opinion, but the fact remains there were just as many upset customers for LEGITIMATE reasons in other mmos. Look at AION for example (only one I can recall as it was fairly recent) 10,000+ person queues, horrendous server lag, and people setting up custom item shops to prevent themselves from logging out which made NCSOFT have to keep turning the servers on and off just to name a few issues. This is far from the worst launch. Again I go back to the words "MAY PLAY UP TO" in the advertisement. MAY guarantees nothing, and UP TO means you could have as little of a one day head start even if you ordered as early as August. Obviously they'll likely try to get in everyone that got a code, but you can't claim false advertising like so many are.

6. I gave Bioware more money for my collectors edition, so I should get in sooner!

No you shouldn't. If it wasn't stated as part of the collectors edition at the start as a feature you have no place playing before others.

Okay, now that I've removed the bile from my system and debunked a few pointless troll threads; lets move on to legitimate questions and their answers.

Early Access day 1 FAQ:

1. How many waves were sent today?

4 officially and one "bonus" wave.

2. What times were they sent?

Between 7am EST and 3:30pm EST approximately.

3. What dates got in?

The latest date I can confirm from friends and family is the 27th of July. I myself who ordered 2 days later did not get in. So what I can conclude is that July 21st to July 27th got in.

4. Does my collectors edition give me priority?

No it does not. There was no such advertisement on the box and thus no such benefit for you, sorry mate.

5. I pre-ordered in the last week or so, will I get in?

Bioware will try. I'm not an employee so I can't say for sure, but I'm sure they're going to try to get everyone at least one day of play before launch.

6. Can I reserve names?

Unfortunately no. The best thing I can recommend is what I did. Ask a friend who did get in to get some names for you.

That's all I can confirm for now, as well as all the common troll threads I thought were too sided on trolling/whining instead of opinion. Hopefully this is helpful. Also, the forums have been moving so fast it's hard to see if a thread like this was posted recently or not, so I apologize if one was.

I also realize some responses to the less than dignified topics I've detailed in this thread might contain mostly opinion. If you disagree, great that's your opinion.

If any factual details are wrong post below and if I can confirm your source I'll update this post (assuming I'm not trolled to death).

Crossing my fingers for an invite first wave of tomorrow! Hope to see some of you folks on Jedi Covenant.

Love you guys.

-Ari

Edit 1: Quadruple checking for spelling grammar, and with my southern edumaction this might take a bit. :)

Edit 2: More grammar/spelling mistakes fixed. Added clarification that the first list, which is addressing the more whiny complaints, is opinion heavy.

Edited by Aristile

Bioware will try. I'm not an employee so I can't say for sure, but I'm sure they're going to try to get everyone at least one day of play before launch.

Stephen Reid has previously stated that everyone who pre-ordered would get at least one full day of EGA.

I won't blame anyone if they're hesitant to take that at face value, however.

You do understand the fact that it is not because they say something that it makes it right ?

People are complaining about how they are handling the game launch which is disguised as early access. This is a poor launch for many points you haven't mentioned in your post.

Edited by Popoz

Look at AION for example (only one I can recall as it was fairly recent) 10,000+ person ques, horrendous server lag, and people setting up custom item shops to prevent themselves from logging out which made NCSOFT have to keep turning the servers on and off just to name a few issues.

Know what issue it didn't have? I could play it!

1. I should be in right now because I pre-ordered![/b]

No, the advertisement says UP TO 5 (7) days. Your failure to read has no bearing on what you're entitled to,-Ari

So, I don't really care about getting immediate access. Even if I got "in" today, I probably wouldn't play much/at all until this weekend. So, don't take me as a frothing at the mouth troll who is just complaining.

But ... I don't see "up to 5 days" anywhere. Maybe it was there, I don't know but I don't remember it. And I've never ever seen a "up to X" days that could mean just a few hours before official launch. I'm in marketing and if you are going to mislead your customer (which is what's happened here) ... you dang well better be prepared for people to be ticked - as well they should be.

The "early access" information was poorly done. Period.

Early Game Access

Early Game Access will begin on December 13th, 2011, seven days prior to the official launch. Starting December 13, 2011, invitations will be sent throughout the Early Game Access period offering rolling access to the game in the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code, so be sure to check your email inbox tied to your Star Wars: The Old Republic™ account!

To see if you are eligible to log in to the game for Early Game Access, log in to swtor.com and visit My Account > > Pre-Order.

First let me say this, there are plenty of things to list as complaints about the game (lack of a grace period, no mods at launch, red zoning regions, removal of features that were in beta that we liked, and other stuff like that.) The launch however is not one of them.

Tired of browsing forums and just getting frustrated? Here's a quick summary of issues/complaints people are bringing up that hold no water. Oh, and don't worry relevant information will be given in a separate list below calling out the whiners and trolls. Please note, the below section, which calls out most of the troll/whining posts, does contain quite a bit of opinion, but still holds a fair chunk of factual information that may be useful.

Responses to misinformed or whiny posts:

1. I should be in right now because I pre-ordered!

No, the advertisement says UP TO 5 (7) days. Your failure to read has no bearing on what you're entitled to,

2. I paid my extra $5 so I should be in on day one!

No you did not. That $5, at 99.99% of retailers unless you're getting scammed, is put towards the total cost of the game. So when you go to get your copy it'll be $54.99

3. My friend who pre-ordered (Month other than July) got in but I didn't!

Your either lying or it was a fluke in the system. No person claiming this has backed up their claim with any evidence.

4. I took work off (or skipped classes) to be here for launch! Bioware should know that people are doing this and let more people in!

I'm sure Bioware knows just how many people are incapable of setting priorities and have no patience; you don't need to add your number to that pool. Lack of planning or priorities in your life has no bearing on them.

5. This is the worst launch of any mmo EVER, and I know because i was in (lists every mmo's launch)!

Okay, you're wrong. I understand this is at the end of the day an opinion, but the fact remains there were just as many upset customers for LEGITIMATE reasons in other mmos. Look at AION for example (only one I can recall as it was fairly recent) 10,000+ person ques, horrendous server lag, and people setting up custom item shops to prevent themselves from logging out which made NCSOFT have to keep turning the servers on and off just to name a few issues. This is far from the worst launch. Again I go back to the words "MAY PLAY UP TO" in the advertisement. MAY gaurentees nothing, and UP TO means you could have as little of a one day head start even if you ordered as early as August. Obviously they'll likely try to get in everyone that got a code, but you can't claim false advertising like so many are.

6. I gave Bioware more money for my collectors edition, so I should get in sooner!

No you shouldn't. If it wasn't stated as part of the collectors edition at the start as a feature you have no place playing before others.

Okay, now that I've removed the bile from my system and debunked a few pointless troll threads; lets move on to legitimate questions and their answers.

Early Access day 1 FAQ:

1. How many waves were sent today?

4 officially and one "bonus" wave.

2. What times were they sent.

Between 7am EST and 3:30pm EST approximately.

3. What dates got in?

The latest date I can confirm from friends and family is the 27th of July. I myself who ordered 2 days later did not get in. So what I can conclude is that July 21st to July 27th got in.

4. Does my collectors edition give me priority?

No it does not. There was no such advertisement on the box and thus no such benefit for you, sorry mate.

6. Can I reserve names?

Unfortunately no. The best thing I can recommend is what I did. Ask a friend who did get in to get some names for you.

That's all I can confirm for now, as well as all the common troll threads I thought were too sided on trolling/whining instead of opinion. Hopefully this is helpful. Also, the forums have been moving so fast it's hard to see if a thread like this was posted recently or not, so I apologize if one was.

I also realize some responses to the less than dignified topics I've detailed in this thread might contain mostly opinion. If you disagree, great that's your opinion.

If any factual details are wrong post below and if I can confirm your source I'll update this post (assuming I'm not trolled to death).

Crossing my fingers for an invite first wave of tomorrow!

Love you guys.

-Ari

Edit: Quadruple checking for spelling grammar, and with my southern edumaction this might take a bit. :)

All that and I didn't see one of the valid gripes. Heh. What a waste of your time.

But ... I don't see "up to 5 days" anywhere. Maybe it was there, I don't know but I don't remember it.

It had been up there for months splashed all over the place. The ad has changed now since early access has started.

just because YOU failed to read doesn't mean it wasn't there.

EDIT: found a news article on the swtor site that mentioned it, from December 7.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111207

Early Game Access may be up to 7 days. The length of your Early Game Access depends on the date and order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code.

And another from Nov 4

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111104-0

Early Game Access is staggered over five days to ensure a quality experience for players at launch.
Edited by jgoldsack

By the time I get to play, I hope the servers are not overloaded to much as to hinder my enjoyment.

It's the only issue I see with a staggered early access : those who get in the earliest should have the least amount of lag or server issues due to the relatively low population per server.

I waited over two weeks for them to fix an issue with my pre-order code before I could redeem it. That means I entered my code a few weeks after I actually purchased it. (I already paid in full) Now I have to wait how ever much longer that is going to be for my wave to come up.

I also want to play along side a friend who just pre-ordered a day or two ago. I probably will be forced to wait longer for his wave to come along as well. Had I known all of this would have happened in the way it did I would not have payed in full for my collectors edition. I would have waited till after launch for things to settle down.

Some of us ordered to be there when the server went live. Being part of the lagg and the craziness in game when the servers go live can be part of the fun. At least you have access to the game. Having to sit and read the forums does not make you feel like you are part of the servers going live.

I get tired of poeple saying how other people feel about the situation is wrong. I think people are entitled to feel ripped off or mislead. I am not raging mad but I am disappointed that that they decided to handle the roll out of early game play in this manner.

Just because they worded it so their rear-end is covered legally does not mean poeple can't feel mislead. It is like saying "I may give you up to a million dollars... Sure I only gave you $10 why are you disappointed? I said up to a million but hey at least you got $10."

Now I feel like I have to read all the fine print with this company or I am likely to run in to more issues like this. I have played 20+ MMO games in my life. I have been part of about half of those in the beta and when the servers went live. In my entire experience with MMO games I have not seen a company handle servers going live in this manner.

They could have done several things that would have made this go smoother. Better communication from the get go would have avoided allot of this confusion.

They could have allowed everyone to sign in pick a server and select their name/race/class. Then they could unlock accounts in waves at that point based on when you ordered. That would have solved allot of the concern about getting particular names on partuclar servers.

They could have been more clear about the launch window depending on when you bought and redeemed your code. If people had more of an idea of when they might be allowed access to the game they might not feel so helpless. Like they are stuck on the sidelines waiting to find out when they can join the game.

They could have done a better job of letting people know you game access would be based on when you redeemed the code. I did allot of reading about this game since it was first announced. Somehow I missed the thing about pre-order access being given out in waves.

I ordered the game but did not enter the code for a week or more because I thought it was no big deal. When I did go to enter the code it did not work and I had to contact support. It took them an extra two weeks to deal with my request and give me a new code. Meanwhile a month or more went by from when I bought the game to when I redeemed the code. Had I know it was so important to redeem your code ASAP because it affects your eligibility for when you can start playing I would have been more judicious.

Like I said I am not having a case of nerd rage. I am not punching my fist through my LCD Screen with rage. I am just disappointed in the way they chose to roll out the early game access. I am not asking for a free epic item or 2 months of free play. I do feel though like some sort of apology would be warranted.