Guardian Tank Stats+Utility point placement

Younique

Hello fellow Guardians.

So I just got back after a 5 or so month break from the game due to work related stuff.

I was using the good'ol 36/8/2 before the patch/digital expansion , but now with the new Discipline trees here I have no idea which utilities to go for.

And what are the main stats to go for now?

As in: Str, Endurance, Shield Absorption, Power and so on.

I was thinking about putting my points in the following trees.

Skillful:

Second Wind

Trailblazer

Debilitation

Masterful:

Guardianship

Preparation, Insirping Force or Pulse

Heroic:

Daunting Presence, Through Peace or True Harmony

Any thoughts? Or are all of them just personal preference?:cool:

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Younique

And what are the main stats to go for now?

As in: Str, Endurance, Shield Absorption, Power and so on.

Same as always: Def / Absorb / Shield. Despite copious amounts of people crying over the belief that our taunts will miss and tanks need to gear accuracy, don't listen to them it's all sensationalism - taunts can only miss in PvP.

Any thoughts? Or are all of them just personal preference?:cool:

^ This is true for the most part, however not all Utilities are created equal ;)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Well since you asked so nicely

These are my choices, feel free to scrutinise my choices in any way, but I believe them to be the best for me. Utilities are there to increase quality of life and uptime on the boss / targets so that was my main goal in picking them.

Tier 1

Second Wind

Seems like a fairly minor one at first, but it turns Resolute into a semi-defensive cooldown with 10% healing. An extra medpac in a way (lol Enure + Focused Defense + Medpacs + Resolute WTB more heals). 30 seconds off its cooldown is more freedom from control and that means more time putting out threat yadda yadda you know the score.

Battlefield Command

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I value the ability to leap around more often, be in more places, and not do that annoying slow Juggernaut in-combat jog that feels like it takes forever. Like I said, personal preference.

Trailblazer

+25% damage on Cyclone Sweep, doesn't really need to be justified. For anyone who thinks I'm a failure and should quit the game for using Cyclone Sweep in the first place, Aoe filler moves have been buffed across the board for every class in damage and cheapness and they should no longer have any stigma in people using them ;)

- Defiance 4 focus on being Cc'ed --> we have too much focus right now as things are so no point to take this

- Debilitation --> This is for PvP

- Stagger --> 1 more second of root on Force Leap, same as above

Tier 2

Purifying Sweep

60% slow on targets damaged by Force Sweep for 12 seconds. There are many utilities that buff Freezing Force but this one makes Freezing Force obsolete. Force Sweep is rotational so you leap into a pack and Force Sweep and none of them are going anywhere. Freezing Force is a 50% slow compared to 60% offered here. Also, Force Sweep was reverted to its old self and can be used again without needing a target. For this reason I take none of the Freeing Force utilities. They are more PvP oriented, and also outclassed by some of the others.

Guardianship

Aoe taunt gives mini-Sage-bubbles to the group. Who knows? This might just save someone's life in a FP / Op. Also Tier 2 has a slightly poor selection, don't forget you can take another from Tier 1 here.

- Intervention --> Freezing force utility so no thanks

- Narrowed focus --> Focus generation from direct Aoe, same reason as Defiance we have too much focus as things stand

- Inspiring Force --> Freezing Force gives 50% speed boost to allies ( not yourself) in 8m for 8 seconds. This sounds nice I guess and I can understand a case for it but it feels very situational; perhaps in a specific fight where everyone needs to haul jets out of some AoE it could help.

- Preparation --> This doesn't really help in any major way, waste of a Utility point

- Pulse --> 15 sec off the cooldown of Stasis. Would be good for PvP since Stasis is now a hard 4 sec stun but PvE can be left out. We already have two 4sec stuns in Hilt Bash + Stasis

Tier 3

Daunting Presence

No need to explain this one thank goodness

Through Peace

Reduces Cd of Focused Defense by 30 seconds. Probably a must for HM FPs where you have only 1 healer and lots of hard hitting packs (seriously these things are hard now - in a good way ^_^), but maybe not so much for Ops. The second Heroic utility is a tough choice between this and True Harmony however the latter is more of a pvp-Huttball-carrier thing. Switch these out as you see fit.

- Jedi Warden --> Outclassed by the above

- Intercessor --> Really not going to noticeably help tanking in any way

- Whiplash --> Root on saber throw would be nice in pvp but outclassed by Daunting Presence / Through Peace / True Harmony for PvE

- Peaceful Focus --> Cleanse on Focused Defense. Well no DoTs can be cleansed in PvP anymore and in PvE that's what healers are for! :) The new UI tools which highlight debuffs should help healers with cleansing so there's no excuse now.

#

TL,DR -- Haha there is none! Go read if you want the information lazy-bum ;p

Thank you so much for the information, gonna take a new look at the utilities today since I'm rather rusty at tanking still.

5-6months break does that to me I guess, or maybe I'm getting old? :(

Again, thank you so much for the indepth view on the utility tree, I'll definately try them out.

What about Guardian stats?

What about Guardian stats?

In case you missed it, I replied briefly inside the quote of your OP, answers in blue if that's what you mean.

If you mean actual numbers and how much Def / Absorb / Shield to take well I can't help there I'm afraid as I really don't know what's best. I personally split 50/50 in mods and enchancements for Def / Absorb, Shield stat is always given by enhancements so don't worry about trying to stack Shield as it comes naturally like Endurance does. You're gonna need KeyboardNinja to tell you Def / Absorb ratio.

Edited by Cotlu-Hunlon

In case you missed it, I replied briefly inside the quote of your OP, answers in blue if that's what you mean.

If you mean actual numbers and how much Def / Absorb / Shield to take well I can't help there I'm afraid as I really don't know what's best. I personally split 50/50 in mods and enchancements for Def / Absorb, Shield stat is always given by enhancements so don't worry about trying to stack Shield as it comes naturally like Endurance does. You're gonna need KeyboardNinja to tell you Def / Absorb ratio.

Oh yes, you did.

I must've been blind I think. :D

Thank you so much mate, really do appreciate the effort. :)