Sorc Hybrid PvP

Sirokai

I know some people are die-hard lightning spec fans while others are die-hard madness spec fans, but I decided long before launch that I was going to go with a hybrid build. "Noo, don't do it," they said. "You shall be train wrecked," others said. But there were a handful that actually really liked the looks of a lightning/madness hybrid. I'm not here to talk about the viability of hybrid, or where it stands in correlations to a straight lightning or straight madness build. Really, I'm just here to figure out the most optimal way to play this spec.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZbsMMdRrhZcMcRsMz.1

That's my current build. A few points can be moved around for personal preference but for me, I think that is my lucky build. If you have any suggestions or comments etc, then feel free to comment. What I would like to know though, is when you guys think would be the best time to use lightning strike as opposed to force lightning (but I do understand that if one gets interrupted I can easily switch to the other for the interrupt's duration).

CD - Crushing Darkness

CL - Chain Lightning

Lightning Strike:

Advantages - Decent damage, can proc instant CL, low force cost, subversion helps w/ force regen, potential burst w/ forked lightning procs, no cooldown

Disadvantages - Hard cast, takes away a lot of mobility, easily interruptable

Cast Time: 1.4s

Base Damage: 979-1048

Range: 35m

Force Lightning:

Advantages - Decent damage, slows target, steady damage, procs wrath for instant cast CD or CL w/ increased damage, 1% mana return per tic, no cooldown

Disadvantages - Channeled makes it easily interruptable

Cast Time: 2.8s

Base Damage: 2564

Range: 30m

So looking at all that, what do you guys think should be my main source of damage and what do you think I should use for burst? ... Or is there one I should use for both? =o Oh the possibilities.

Kind of like my hybrid spec, but you didn't grab some of the CD reductions/lockout that really helps in PvP. I believe the 3 points in forked lightning is a waste in comparison to the latter. How about this?

With that you have your main CCs more often when you need them. Whirlwind has no Cast time while taking off 15 seconds from the CD, as well as -10 seconds from electrocute.

As for rotation-wise on Force lightning/lightning strike, I usually cast lightning strike into force lightning because there's little downtime with the GCD, as well as the extra chances at an insta-cast. That said, Lightning strike does pretty crappy damage overall though. Force lightning is where your main damage will lie. Of course as you've said though, it's constantly open to interrupts.

My starter rotation is usually something like:

CD > Affliction > LS > FL > (CL if proc)Shock/Death Field

Edited by Felghast

Kind of like my hybrid spec, but you didn't grab some of the CD reductions/lockout that really helps in PvP. I believe the 3 points in forked lightning is a waste in comparison to the latter. How about this?

With that you have your main CCs more often when you need them. Whirlwind has no Cast time while taking off 15 seconds from the CD, as well as -10 seconds from electrocute.

As for rotation-wise on Force lightning/lightning strike, I usually cast lightning strike into force lightning because there's little downtime with the GCD, as well as the extra chances at an insta-cast. That said, Lightning strike does pretty crappy damage overall though. Force lightning is where your main damage will lie. Of course as you've said though, it's constantly open to interrupts.

My starter rotation is usually something like:

CD > Affliction > LS > FL > (CL if proc)Shock/Death Field

Hmmm that's a good point w/ forked lightning not being worth much in this build. I'll probably change it over to what you recommended for the cc reduction and such. I <3 all the people that are still whispering me saying "dude your spec is so wrong, why would you only go half way into a talent tree?"

sorc is fragile, you need survivability.you put too many points on dps/dmg .

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hMMZkskMzZcroRsrkM.1

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/120313121-4.jpg

The only real survivability changes I see w/ your build are reduced damage from dots while giving up the highly needed burst from chain lightning and the self-peels with backlash. And in regards to your ss, I usually do about the same KD ratio, just with a lotttt more damage and healing done.

I appreciate the suggestions but I'll have to pass.

EDIT: I missed the talent points put over in the corruption tree. Regardless, imo that build lacks utility and burst and focusing more on dots while only having minimal upgrades to survivability. I'd prefer utility + dots and burst. =P

Edited by Sirokai

Here's what I'll be using

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZdcMrbMbZcrcRsMkb.1

Trades some damage for more control.

If you are doing a hybrid madness/lightning spec there is really no reason to cast lighting strike when force lightning is spamable. You'll want to use your wrath procs for crushing darkness which hits like a truck. If you pick up death mark thats an other 20% increase in damage for your dots or top of the 20% damage increase from wrath.

I'd prefer to have more control over my damage instead of leaving it (mostly) up to dots. And while I agree that lightning strike is pretty terrible damage-wise, using it while force lightning is locked out is still a good use of the spell imo (if you already have everything else up on the target).

Dont mean to highjack but didnt want to start a new thread...

I would love to get your opinion on my planned tree... my goal is to be able to heal (not AOE healing that **** is weak) but still cause a little harm.

Im still kinda new to the game not sure what all the talents do for me.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GGMRbdbdZZfokRs.1

I'd reccomened this instead.

In quick comparison to yours, here's a few differences:

Whirlwind is insta-cast

force lightning chance at insta-cast proc

100+ force pool

6% willpower

-5 seconds on electrocute

More of a chance at an extra 50% shock

So in all a bit more CC and damage, which never hurt to have. Only problem is no points in sith efficiency for reduced pushback and mana regen. If you want that, can take the points out of chain shock(unless you see something better) and throw them in there.

Edited by Felghast

• 2 weeks later...

forked lightning is no good for this build. the best sorc dps hybrid is a madness hybrid. more points into madness up to deathmark and you only need to go as high as chain lightning and lighning barage.

cast affliction

force lightning until wrath procs

death field

instant crushing darkness

force lighning for wrath

instant chain lighning (when enimies are grouped or crushing darkness is on cd)

lightning barage can pour on a lot of damage. its bugged right now so you can get 2 hasted force lighnings in a row. add your crit ability (cant remember the name) and you get 2 x 1.5 sec force lighnings with 90% crit, doing something around 8k damage in 3 seconds

you shouldnt ever really have to do any lighning strikes. using a wrath proc on lightning strike is a waste since chain lightning will be up soon and it hits harder. you probably wont get force lighning locked out much any way.

this build has a lot of mobility. the only time you have to stand still is while casting force lighning which will slow your target.

• 1 year later...

I'm currently using a 4/21/21 spec on my Sorc and Sage atm, does quit well considering other players don't like it.

Corruption Tree:-

2/3Seeping Darkness (may put the points elsewhere though as 2% crit isn't really much

2/2 Force Suffusion

Lightening Tree:-

3/3 Chain Shock

1/2 Reserves

3/3 Electric Induction

2/2 Convection

2/2 Subversion

2/2 Lightening Barrage

1/1 Chain Lightening

2/2 Lightening Effusion

1/1 Lightening Storm

2/2 Lightening Swarm

2/2 Backlash

Madness Tree:-

3/3 Calcify

2/2 Will of the Sith

3/3 Force Horrors

2/2 Parasitism

2/2 Disintegration

1/1 Death Field

3/3 Sith Efficacy

1/1 Madness

2/2 Corrupted Flesh

1/1 Wrath

1/1 Deathmark

friends reckon I should use this spec instead http://www.sithspecs.com/sith-inquisitor-sorcerer/swtor-sith-inquisitor-sorcerer-build-hybrid-madness-dps-spec/ but I like getting my healing points from Force Suffusion

Edited by dacentabaal

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201zZforMdoMZsMfRsbkRb.3

This makes it so your Lightning strike is instant and has a 60% chance to cause instant chain lightning. This spec is great because it if you want to do hard instant damage then keep using force lighting and lighting strike with chain lightning proc'ing constantly. And when you want to heal your self and get high dmg # put your dots on people and those dots will heal you over time. The bubble stun makes it so your dots have enough chances to give you the HOTs you need to survive. Also with 3 stacks of subversion I have the force regen I need to offheal my team without draining my energy. You are sacrificing bonus damage for survivability (HOTs and bubble stun) these used with LOS and slow make you a pain in the arse to kill. (Don't forget grenades this frustrates so many people especially after being bubble stunned. They also get you enough to to escape multiple enemies.

This works best when you have the correct gear. I have 1400 bonus dmg. 70% surge. 18.5% crit, With 4.5% alacraty. I am working on my obroan gear enhancements to get high alac (want it to 5% completetly) but its taking a little bit.

Edited by Chrisweaver

Well it's personal preference you could go with the lowered cd on whirlwind or 2% dmg reduction. But my lightning burns do 409 energy dmg.(the talent tree on torhead is for a character geared in greens) and I spit our lightning strikes frequently enough that those add up.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZforMdkMZcMfRsbkrb.3

I have basically min/maxed to get the alac I want so I put the extra point into giving chain lightning a 50% chance to root and slow. I only use chain lightning when it procs so it is just a bonus when it does its slow. And if the force is with you, you won't notice and it will always proc the slow.

I went with the extra second of crushing darkness for the extra second of heals

As Madness how are you using LS enough times to make those talents worth it without running out of force? Simulations have proves than using LS is a DPS loss due to wasted globals for consumption that other wise would have gone to FL.

Here is a hybrid worth trying for max control:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfoMrdRMfMMZcMcRsoz.3

Edited by Cempa

As Madness how are you using LS enough times to make those talents worth it without running out of force? Simulations have proves than using LS is a DPS loss due to wasted globals for consumption that other wise would have gone to FL.

Here is a hybrid worth trying for max control:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfoMrdRMfMMZcMcRsoz.3

You won't run out of force or eeeever use consumption. The trick is to keep up 3 stacks of subversion for the 30% force regen.

What I don't like about that spec is that you aren't getting the 100% increase to paratism and death field. Or paratism at all lol. From what the Devs said our class is dangerous because of our heal to full abilities(lmao) but in all seriousness I find we have to really take advantage of that.

There will always be a "stronger" dps then our class (sniper, mauraders, pure dps classes) so our utility partially comes from being able to h2f without wasting time casting heals. (Along with being able to pull your teammate to safety and giving energency bubbles) Our dots, death field, bubble stun, unnatural preservation , and medpacs should give us all the heals we need to survive in most situations in wzs. And long enough for you and your team to take take out an enemy in an arena.

I used this setup for PVE but I have had success with it in the limited pvp I've done.

Overall the main focus is getting into the fight quickly and staying in the fight. Nonstop DPS is the strong point of this setup. You will not run out of force using this setup as it is built for sustained dps.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/gun_control/Screenshot_2013-11-06_23_35_46_790776_zps3ec813a4.jpg

You have one of three ways to enter a fight. You can use death field, force storm, or force lightning depending on what you are looking to do. I usually start with force lightning if it's a single target or force storm for multiple targets. Using force storm you have a chance to used chain lightning right off the bat. Once that is done spam force lightning as this is your main attack ability that is focused heavily on due to other bonuses you get. When you see the wrath icon appear activate crushing darkness and affliction. If you used death field before this you will have bonus damage. Keep affliction sustained through your fight. You can also utilize shock and lightning strike for a chance to be able to once again use chain lightning instantly. Your chain lightning will also damage multiple targets and you have a chance of it activating again. You also have the chance with shock for another instant chain shock.

This setup allows you to maintain damage on a target and reposition while attack although it will be less you still have a mobility advantage you do not have with a lightning setup.

I have used this setup for over a year and it works to this day albeit not as good as some other dedicated setups. I like the abilities I gain through being able to instantly attack and continue attacking as I reposition. The static barrier is also useful if enemies get too close as it will stun them if it is destroyed or deactivated allowing you to use force speed or overload to get distance so as to heal or continue attacking.

To those who may say this setup is outdated or doesn't work I suggest trying it to see if you like it.

In the past before the 55+ gear was added I focused primarily on crit chance and crit damage bonus. At one point I had an 91% chance to crit with a 70 - 80 percent bonus. This added up to a large sum of damage over a period of time however due to gear changes and nerfs that gear setup is no longer possible.

In addition my key binding setup allows me to not have to utilize tons of key combinations to rotate through abilities as well as ensuring your hand stays relatively stationary on the keyboard as all your attacks are within reach of one hand. This allows you to switch targets or do some healing if need be easily without having to let off on your attack.

Edited by Mufloni

You won't run out of force or eeeever use consumption. The trick is to keep up 3 stacks of subversion for the 30% force regen.

What I don't like about that spec is that you aren't getting the 100% increase to paratism and death field. Or paratism at all lol. From what the Devs said our class is dangerous because of our heal to full abilities(lmao) but in all seriousness I find we have to really take advantage of that.

There will always be a "stronger" dps then our class (sniper, mauraders, pure dps classes) so our utility partially comes from being able to h2f without wasting time casting heals. (Along with being able to pull your teammate to safety and giving energency bubbles) Our dots, death field, bubble stun, unnatural preservation , and medpacs should give us all the heals we need to survive in most situations in wzs. And long enough for you and your team to take take out an enemy in an arena.

That means you prioritize Lightning Strike during Wrath over Crushing Darkness? Moreover; if you want Parasitism+ Devour maxed out you need to sacrifice 2 points so either reduced Whirlwind cast time or crit modifier on DoT;s.

That means you prioritize Lightning Strike during Wrath over Crushing Darkness? Moreover; if you want Parasitism+ Devour maxed out you need to sacrifice 2 points so either reduced Whirlwind cast time or crit modifier on DoT;s.

Depending on the situation you will use lightning strike over crushing darkness. I can't give all the situation you do but here is a couple. If you know they other team has a healer a couple healers and you see an enemy that is at lor health, don't throw crushing darkness on him because the healer may heal through that damage in time. Instead use your proc'ed LS on him for that instant damage. If the force is with you it will proc instant CL which should definitely kill him).

Another scenario is when you see death field has 3 seconds left on cd but your crushing darkness is off CD. Use the LS instead because it will increase your force regen and probably proc CL (which when used with Death field + CD is devastating). And by the time death field finally does go off cd you should have another wrath proc up or at least coming up very soon.

Crushing Darkness is a special move because it heals you also but it should not really be spammed unless you are getting the 64% dmg buff (wrath bonus+ death field bonus+ force horrors bonus).

I finally got the obroan stats I need so I don't need the skill point for alac. The aoe slow for 6 seconds is a cool little bonus and gives me enough time to maneuver around the maps. I found it was proc'ing for about 4 times for every 6 CL I was putting out so it came frequently enough to be noticed.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZforMdkMZcMfRsbkrb.3

I'm not a big fan of lightning hybrids at 55. Lvling up its lowkey op because it puts out such high numbers along with CCs and roots that a lot of classes aren't ready for yet. But once you're 55 a lot of people know how to deal with that and the problem becomes " We are a sorc how do we H2F? ". You can't spam cast heals because as soon as the enemy sees you they think "sorc healer! Yummy!" And mark you for focus. You also can't spam heal because of you are healing yourself you aren't doing dmg to the enemy. Which leaves your team 1 man down even if you are in the area.

Madness is the only spec I find viable until some changes are made to lightning(lol). Primarily because you can heal yourself while you are doing significant dmg to the enemy.

Ps if you like lightning spec sorc roll a merc arsenal dps. They play similar but merc has more mobility + heavy armor+slightly better offheals. (Unless you just like seeing lightning all over the place wich is also pretty fun)