So about that CLOSED beta testing????

Anzel

Remember when everyone was all like, "Hey are you guys going to test this massive, fundamental change to the game we all pay for?"... and you guys were all like, "Oh, we're doing a special secret test. It'll be great!".

Yeah. Not so much. How about next time you know, maybe test something this big with people willing to help you out FOR FREE so that we aren't left with a bug ridden, barely playable system. Just because it builds on *your machine doesn't mean it's ok to deploy. Grace Hopper is rolling in her grave somewhere.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but see, then they might have had to go to their bosses and say something like "The players didn't like your ideas, Sir."

But give the testing to a few "privileged elite" and make them feel smug and superior about it, and you can almost guarantee that most of them won't complain too hard. Then you can go back to your boss and say "Gee Sir, we can't understand why we lost all those subscriptions after stubbornly forcing through some badly thought-out changes proposed by executives who don't actually play the game. After all, the guys in the closed beta loved it!" :D

Edited by CaliOrion

What exactly is 'bug ridden' and 'barely playable'? I've been playing all day yesterday and today so far with zero issues.

The final boss is bugged. If you're lucky he's bugged to your favor, if you're unlucky you might have to kill a bunch of elites and redo dailies.

Edited by nikogiant

What exactly is 'bug ridden' and 'barely playable'? I've been playing all day yesterday and today so far with zero issues.

Well, I would not agree with the OP entirely, but there are known issues Kadin. They were even listed by Bioware.

And that is not even a complete list of the issues that they are working on or investigating.

I can provide more comments if you like, or you can check the dev tracker.

Well, I would not agree with the OP entirely, but there are known issues Kadin. They were even listed by Bioware.

And that is not even a complete list of the issues that they are working on or investigating.

Expecting them to release an expansion or an update with ZERO issues whatsoever is a delusion. Same is true for every single developer in this planet.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

None of that equals bug ridden or barely playable. Anyone expecting a game or expansion to launch bug-free is delusional. The OP's post is an extreme exaggeration and serves no purpose.

edit: just read Darth_Wicked's response... I swear this wasn't a copy. :p

Edited by Kadin

The last REAL test server was EQ1 test like in the first 3 expansions and base era. After casters realm was replaced by new MMO media outfits that had "beta" key events. Test servers have become more of just a dog and pony show from what I can see as to they will only maybe fix bugs but never make any changes from there dev plan.

Expecting them to release an expansion or an update with ZERO issues whatsoever is a delusion. Same is true for every single developer in this planet.

This is true. Also, OP assumes that BioWare wasn't made aware of bugs ahead of time and released anyway. I'm pretty sure all updates that have hit the PTS, open or closed, have launched with bugs that were reported ahead of time but not fixed before release.

None of that equals bug ridden or barely playable. Anyone expecting a game or expansion to launch bug-free is delusional. The OP's post is an extreme exaggeration and serves no purpose.

Nailed it. :D

Again, DW, I hardly agree with the OP. I think that was a bit of hyperbole. But there are known issues...it was just a response to the poster saying that they had not encountered any issues at that point.

Naturally you are correct.

Hehe.

I was not supporting the OPs contentions. Only responding to this comment in fairness....

I've been playing all day yesterday and today so far with zero issues.

Just to point out that there are present issues.

Again, DW, I hardly agree with the OP. I think that was a bit of hyperbole. But there are known issues...it was just a response to the poster saying that they had not encountered any issues at that point.

Naturally you are correct.

That's the thing, Lord: There will always be known issues.

Doesn't mean however that the OP is correct in his assessment. I also don't feel that attacking Beta testers is the best way to convey his point.

not sure what you guys are smoking but Yavin 4 on Harbinger yesterday was brutal to play on if you were a quick leveler from probably 11am pst to 8'ish pst at night there was a good 15-20 seconds of ability lag for everything as the instance gained more people it became worse.

procs would fade before you could activate abilities even (for me anyway)

I mean I pushed through it cuz I wanted to get 60, but it was not enjoyable at all. BW/EA once again not prepared for a lauch that they have been advertising for a few months now at least from a stress test standpoint. I mean the started lagging when it hit 40 people and was just brutal around 50-70.. how can a server not handle that low number of people in 1 instance? Time to update hardware perhaps?

I've been in this game since it launched and I've never been more disappointed than when I zoned into Yavin 4 yesterday, pretty inexcusable imo, which is a shame because from what I could tell all the quests and mobs were working just fine.

only quest I found bugged is a daily on Rishii where you have to click some tree to lure out a raptor

Edited by Gwence

not sure what you guys are smoking but Yavin 4 on Harbinger yesterday was brutal to play on if you were a quick leveler from probably 11am pst to 8'ish pst at night there was a good 15-20 seconds of ability lag for everything as the instance gained more people it became worse.

I mean I pushed through it cuz I wanted to get 60, but it was not enjoyable at all. BW/EA once again not prepared for a lauch that they have been advertising for a few months now at least from a stress test standpoint. I mean the started lagging when it hit 40 people and was just brutal around 50-70.. how can a server not handle that low number of people in 1 instance? Time to update hardware perhaps?

I've been in this game since it launched and I've never been more disappointed than when I zoned into Yavin 4 yesterday, pretty inexcusable imo, would be pretty ashamed if I was part of this dev team.

It was the DAY the expansion got released. Why would you expect it to be perfect? Again, I was on all day yesterday with zero issues and the same for today. If I had experienced issues, it would have been expected. People continue to expect things to be perfect and it's ridiculous. If you've really been here since launch, this was far better than a LOT of past launches of updates. You should know that.

Edited by Kadin

That's the thing, Lord: There will always be known issues.

Doesn't mean however that the OP is correct in his assessment. I also don't feel that attacking Beta testers is the best way to convey his point.

Sure, but you do understand I am not the OP, nor do I endorse the OPs statement....right?

You guys can slice this and wordsmith it all you want. Click on the Dev Tracker, click through the [bUG] section of the forums. Are bugs and regressions expected the first day of a launch like this? Sure. Of course. Did they test enough to ensure a smooth deployment (no pun intended)? Yes.

The bottom line here is that they failed to test this correctly. Inviting a few of your friends over for pizza and asking them how much they love your work isn't sufficient. This was a crap job.

Sure, but you do understand I am not the OP, nor do I endorse the OPs statement....right?

You do agree, to a degree it would seem.

Up to the point you brought up the list, I reckon.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I've been in this game since it launched and I've never been more disappointed than when I zoned into Yavin 4 yesterday, pretty inexcusable imo, which is a shame because from what I could tell all the quests and mobs were working just fine.

only quest I found bugged is a daily on Rishii where you have to click some tree to lure out a raptor

And this is what I mean by "barely playable". Paying customers shouldn't have to deal with this garbage. Especially since it could have been EASILY avoided if they just ran it through a few PTS builds. I mean really.

HA! Busted for being Darth_Wicked's alt account!!! ;)

And this is what I mean by "barely playable". Paying customers shouldn't have to deal with this garbage. Especially since it could have been EASILY avoided if they just ran it through a few PTS builds. I mean really.

You are putting a lot of faith into the PTS even when they do use the open PTS you don't get a true load test. Plus for the most part the groups in the private beta would have been the same in an open PTS. That said any company is going to way known issues with delaying release. It is simply how all software company works.