Community - Players have no reason to interact

Kaorsek

Many complaints have been made that there is little community aspect to the game, and I agree. The biggest problem is that there's no REASON to interact with other players other than getting together for a Heroic, Flashpoint, or Operation.

I'm not really sure what the solution is. I hate to use SWG as an example, but players did t least have a reason to go to the cantina and hang out awhile.

Anyone else got any good social ideas?

What did players in SWG do in a cantina that absolutely required them to interact with each other, and why can that not happen here? I have yet to see any MMO require grouping for anything other than instances, pvp and raids.

How about instead of lamenting the lack of required grouping, you be proactive and ask other people if they want to group with you? You get to earn social points, you get to experience the content with others, and maybe you make some new friends.

These kind of threads are a funny contrast to the random dungeon finder threads, where people claim that a tool like that would kill the community and remove any reason to interact with other players.

just putting that out there.

What did players in SWG do in a cantina that absolutely required them to interact with each other, and why can that not happen here?

Early on, you had to watch entertainers to remove fatigue. Later, you got stat buffs by watching them.

Minigames are a great idea. That would be a blast.

Edited by Kaorsek

Also, in WoW I dreamed of a bank you could DEPOSIT money into. And earn interest.

To prevent farming, interest should be collected manually, not on auto. Percentages would be small at first, but grow as you ugrade your account type.

Not really a social idea, but a little something.

Some people suggested player bounties. An option to put a bounty on another player's head. With various restrictions and CD to prevent harassment. An interresting concept, imo, but needs a lot of polishing.

What is the problem? You dont want to group, then dont. You enjoy playing with other people, feel free to do so. Why do you need incentive to interact with other players? You're either a sociable person or a loner, theres no advantage of being either at this time in TOR, so again I dont see any problem. Social points are just for RP gear as far as Im concerned.

These kind of threads are a funny contrast to the random dungeon finder threads, where people claim that a tool like that would kill the community and remove any reason to interact with other players.

Apparently there is a shadowy subculture with lots and lots of juicy social interaction, friendship and rainbows somewhere in the game.

Actually there is a reason to interact - social points.

I've tried asking in general if somebody wants to quest through planets for social points but I get no takers. It will be a while before they realize the importance of them.

Same thing here =-(. what is even more amazing is that I will be in a quest area clearing mobs for bonus or just pushing to a quest point and I will see someone, ask them to group, and get a no. What the hell? Do you not understand how quick we can clear this area, and get social points?

Noooooooooooo, a LFD tool would destroy a community that doesn't exist!!!