Game Update 3.0 Class Changes: Gunslinger + Sniper

TaitWatson

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a typo?

Dodge can be trained at level 10 now, but it only increases melee and ranged defense by 200% for 3 seconds.

What does it do if your ranged and melee defense is 200% rather than 100%?

Also, does anyone know if defenses are applied to initial DOT or the tick at all?

Is this a typo?

What does it do if your ranged and melee defense is 200% rather than 100%?

Also, does anyone know if defenses are applied to initial DOT or the tick at all?

Someone with 130% can't fire through it. Only M/R DoTs... Which are.... CGC DoT, all current Anni DoTs... And only on the attack applying it, the DoT by itself is always F/T so it can't be defended.

First of all: I lose purge with Dodge which is crucial in PvP, and I lose explosive probe. Everything else looks like small buffs to the survivability. But why decrease the duration of dodge from 4 to 3 seconds?

In Shadow of Revan...

- I will have 75% Damage reduction during dodge for 4 seconds in lethality, 3 seconds with every other discipline.

- I will crit with cull while using target acquired, wow!

- I will slow my targets with series of shot from 20% up to 80% for 3 seconds during its channel, wow! (the new ability)

- I will have diversion while playing lethality, and it can now slow up to 8 targets also if they remain in the area of its impact (ground aoe or single target spread?). :)

These 4 changes I like, except the decreased duration of dodge.

Edited by SirMannii

Bioware: "Hmm how do we make engineering feel like it has a smoother rotation?" "I know. We take what they do in 2 abilities and make them have to use a 3rd!" "Yeah; and we don't even have to make a new 3rd ability to do so. We can gut another ability they already have to do it and remove the awesome things it already does to do part of this!" "Brilliant!"

FYI. I liked Sab for it not having a rotation so set in stone. They probably are not making sab any weaker and may be making it stronger, but you're ruining the feel for those of us that actually liked it how it was.

This is so true. It feels like the whole design principle recently is all about making 'rotations, rotations and rotations'; just giving all classes an obvious set of moves - that will always be the best - and that everyone can subscribe to. Saboteur has become one of my favourite specs recently because it allows free thinking and creativity and isn't locked into performing air-tight ability orders on repeat constantly.

They mentioned feeling energy drained in Saboteur? How is that possible with Cool Head every minute (the cooldown of Sabotage) and Charged Burst at a damn cheap 14 energy? Sounds like whoever they were getting feedback from in testing clearly was a crap Sabo player who couldn't play it properly. I have not heard one person in this spec complain about energy usage.

The Shock Charge / Incendiary combo 2s stun already had an 18sec rate limit and required 2GCDs to perform. So it's not like we could chain stun someone or spread it around to different people..... making the stun activate on Sabotage is CLUNKY which is what you apparently were trying to fix. And Sabotage not resetting our DCDs makes us hardly anymore defensive than the other 2 trees, and Engineer toughness was a nice way to offset our lower damage.

And the Frag Grenade change is just inexplicable, it really is.... at least give sab the ability to make it AoE to everything regardless of mob level, or our AoE output which is the defining feature is going to suffer.

I seriously hope that you can not go through with these changes to Sab...... apologies for any typos or badly flowing language but I have typed this in an angry rush.

Edited by Cotlu-Hunlon

thats it? wow such awesome changes...... didnt they promise drastic changes for engi/sabo ages ago ?!

rofl energy management. dont their testers know thers more then snipe snipe snipe snipe nade ambush snipe snipe snipe? lemme guess, thoose guys even stand up and try to run away from melee attacks. oh wait, i forgott there is still that hard hitting orbital strike...so the attacker has to run.

Hmm...the Sniper changes are shifty.

My Sniper loses the AOE damage on his Fragmentation Grenade, but gains Diversion, which sort of screws Virulence because my Sniper liked that AOE damage filler. At the same time, Virulence gets the Corrosive Dart AOE buff in conjunction with Corrosive Grenade. So in the end, my Sniper is likely to come out ahead on DPS simply because DoTs aren't cleansable anymore. In a funky way, this is a buff.

However, BW took away Explosive Probe which was really nice for burst DPS situations. I guess my Sniper will have to lean heavily on the new Lethal Shot skill to compensate, much more than he did Snipe. I hope the Internal Damage that skill does is worth it.

I see these changes as a wash pretty much, neither buff nor nerf. Which actually makes sense considering the change to DoTs in 3.0. Virulence will benefit from that more than any Sniper spec.

Now Engineering is my favorite Sniper spec to play, however, it still lacks the burst to really take a target down if the RNG doesn't go your way. Adding a little bit of energy damage to EMP Discharge and an auto-crit to Explosive Probe isn't nearly enough to bump that spec up to where it needs to be. I just don't see it competing with Virulence, even with Diversion added, especially now that Shatter Shot is nerfed.

The one thing Snipers needed above all was some sort of boost to survivability. The change to Diversion isn't nearly enough in that regard. Not with all of the DoTs that are going to be constantly in play and melting people. The change to Diversion is actually what is needed right now on live. In 3.0, it's a measly addition with all the added AOE/DoT damage that will be in Ranked.

Overall, none of these changes motivate me to play my Sniper in 3.0. I'm just going to enjoy the FotM classes this time around.

Don't really see what's the point of a single target thermal grenade now. Well it sounds like it's still useful in saboteur, but that it's joining quickshot off the quickbars in the other specs.:confused:

I agree. I quit the game for 8 months, returned and I have 3 snipes and 3 ops just to find out they are taking out some of the best parts. "for dailies" and "pvp" Be very very careful devs.. The Combat Upgrade of SWG killed the game.... I hear you are also taking out reusables from Bio. Well I just ran through half my mats and hundreds thousands of credits adding bio to alts "so they can use the reusables" and now you are taking it out. Thanks this is looking like more reasons to just quit before you mess something else up that I put a bunch of time into.... This is not a very stable game member wise.... The game life expectancy just went way down!!! There are some SW fans that will play no matter what. The same ones that stayed after the Combat Upgrade in SWG... I spent a lot of money on this game... but I will have no trouble spending it somewhere else. You will be losing thousands a year from this player,...:mad:

Hmm...the Sniper changes are shifty.

My Sniper loses the AOE damage on his Fragmentation Grenade, but gains Diversion, which sort of screws Virulence because my Sniper liked that AOE damage filler. At the same time, Virulence gets the Corrosive Dart AOE buff in conjunction with Corrosive Grenade. So in the end, my Sniper is likely to come out ahead on DPS simply because DoTs aren't cleansable anymore. In a funky way, this is a buff.

However, BW took away Explosive Probe which was really nice for burst DPS situations. I guess my Sniper will have to lean heavily on the new Lethal Shot skill to compensate, much more than he did Snipe. I hope the Internal Damage that skill does is worth it.

I see these changes as a wash pretty much, neither buff nor nerf. Which actually makes sense considering the change to DoTs in 3.0. Virulence will benefit from that more than any Sniper spec.

Now Engineering is my favorite Sniper spec to play, however, it still lacks the burst to really take a target down if the RNG doesn't go your way. Adding a little bit of energy damage to EMP Discharge and an auto-crit to Explosive Probe isn't nearly enough to bump that spec up to where it needs to be. I just don't see it competing with Virulence, even with Diversion added, especially now that Shatter Shot is nerfed.

The one thing Snipers needed above all was some sort of boost to survivability. The change to Diversion isn't nearly enough in that regard. Not with all of the DoTs that are going to be constantly in play and melting people. The change to Diversion is actually what is needed right now on live. In 3.0, it's a measly addition with all the added AOE/DoT damage that will be in Ranked.

Overall, none of these changes motivate me to play my Sniper in 3.0. I'm just going to enjoy the FotM classes this time around.

Pretty much posted my thoughts.

Not sure about the evasion change, the purge was rather useful, but 75% force/tech reduction will be nice.

I can't see my self playing engi any more, with the changes. So, looks like Virulence for arenas and MM for fun.

From what I have seen, there is now more classes with immunity to movement impairing effects. I'd be surprised if a healer reacts quickly enough to clear it off teamates and the healer likely would be your first target anyway so I don't think they can cleanse their own stun/mez.

It just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe they intend to make the classes great at damage, but I always liked the thinking aspect of it more and the smart use of roots, I just think there is too much going against it right now to go along with them taking my favorite spec and making it something for someone else rather than those who liked it.

This line sums up my feelings for how the game in general has evolved since beta lol. Here is to hoping 3.0 is not the cookie-cutter "Star Warsy and Iconic" new game enhancement that it feels like lol.

Edited by Urantia

This line sums up my feelings for how the game in general has evolved since beta lol. Here is to hoping 3.0 is not the cookie-cutter "Star Warsy and Iconic" new game enhancement that it feels like lol.

It will be. All choice has been taken away. They might as well give each class one offensive, one defensive and one heal and be done with it.

Welp.

With the 12x leveling event, I finally got around to taking my Sniper to cap... only to discover that Snipers are getting nerfed to the ground. We lose having a purge (in exchange for a damage reduction that will mean exactly jack since it only lasts two GCDs and isn't even full immunity), .

LOL, having a demigod-mode for 3-4 seconds (evasion) worth "exactly jack" ?. Marauders would like to have a word with you.

I vote that you lose 20 % of your health afterwards then maybe we can talk similarities.

My Sniper is only in his 40s, so I don't feel too qualified to speak on the changes. Although it's kind of disappointing that it seems like Engineering ended up with less than they've got now.

Out of every blog I've looked most forward to the Operative changes. Although my main is a Merc, my Operative has always been second in line for my attention. I love to play DPS on him in warzones, so it'll be interesting to see if they make changes that are really needed.

I agree change the name. Frag grenade is misleading and will cause players to thing they're doing AOE damage when they're not. :mad:

Yeah cuz i'm sure people are doing that right now with flash grenade, I mean who reads tool tips all the info you need is the abilitly name :rolleyes:

Mmm...

Probably the nurfs talked about will be ok PvP wise, since all the classes are getting the nurf-bat with a passion, so the playing field should remain the same in a relativistic manner, but for PvE its an entirely different story, after all how else could the developers make level 60s fight level 55s and have a challenge giving me an impression there is not going to be much material to enjoy at 60 proper?

Sue

Ps: Too bad the developers could not make new expansive content in sufficient quantities so they would not had the need to nurf the classes and walk away from the well accepted and liked system they "had", really pathetic that my future 60 will be inferior to my present 55...

A single target flash grenade and a single target frag grenade. :rolleyes: Granted, Star Wars has never really been about physics or realism, but this is just silly.

I feel like the devs are working on gently easing me off the game. I should be thankful, I guess.

Smuggler - Saw Bones

This is going to suck, i paid for the X12 now i'm going to get screw in my healing ability. Its WOT all over again another game i will stop supporting. i'm a smuggler that has average DPS compare to a trooper with healing ability so you will lower my healing ability to make the other healers happy. if that's the case increase my DPS like the trooper make that fair. It's bad enough you make the smuggler crouch to fire it primary weapon that deals DPS and then I have to wait for the over charge to build up witch gives the enemy chance to make the first blow which could mean death on pvp. I just started playing on PVP and i know i need practice but i'm afraid to spend anymore time on the smuggler operative sniper line. If they going to change.

(Overall, Sawbones healing was too good during Rise of the Hutt Cartel, so players of the discipline should brace themselves for a rebalancing that might seem a bit extreme. While it might seem extreme, this rebalancing is only aimed to bring Scoundrel healing down to a level that allows other healers to be more competitive and prevents Scoundrel healing from trivializing PvE content that is meant to be challenging.)

I'm a Star Wars Lover from the first day i saw it, George Lucus what a mind.

That's my rant i hate forums but i had to say it