DPS flagged as healers

I usually don't complain, but this is getting riddiculous. The last 3 or 4 FPs my team had a healer who istead of healing was doing damage instead. As a tank this gets frustrating, as you're holding aggro, but there is no one healing you. has this happened to you guys? I start to feel there is a trend growing of using dps flagged as healers to enter fps easiear.

Indeed, it's a quite old issue, sadly. I think most of us faced it more than once. :o

The reason is indeed to skip the whole queue and hope one of the others will supply for the person's inability to cover for his role.

To make an example, I am focusing on my lvl 55 Sorc lately, and thanks to that I got to Tank, Heal AND DPS. On the same character, and a couple of times at the same time. All of that while queuing as DPS only and eating the queue, mind you. :eek:

Quite a mess, and I thank that I am basicaly overgeared for everything except Ops (Mostly 180s with Augments bar armorings, those are lower for set bonus :D )... :rolleyes:

Then again, if nobody can supply - Madness Sorc queued as Healer with a team of Jugg Tank, Sniper and Marauder - either at least 2 of them are severely overgeared and quite good at their class, or the team is screwed. :(

If it was for me, I'd stick to the PvP way to pick roles in Arenas. Unless the char has Field Respec, that is.

That'd solve the issue completely, I guess. :cool:

Edited by Cox_The_Beast

Why do it, though? The fight will only get harder... I didn't know this was as old as the game, it only started happening to me this last 4 fps. Before that the healers healed...

I haven't had it happen for a few months now, I think. Hit and miss, as can be expected. Some people just don't know better, I've had a few who forgot to respec, then some who justified it by saying 'it's just a Flashpoint!' and all that. People in MMO's are like people in real life, they make mistakes, some are jerks and others are just inexperienced or clueless.

Case in point, a few times I have been forced to skank tank something on my DPS Assassin (such as Terror From Beyond or Dread Master Styrak) for group finder purposes during guild runs and then I just slap on a shield and the two tank implants I always carry in the inventory, activate Dark Charge and tag myself as a tank. Then after the run I have forgotten to untick the box and used the GF, only to see myself as a tank and that forces me to decline the pop. Only one short click away from going in as a fake tank, so mistakes do happen.

I usually don't complain, but this is getting riddiculous. The last 3 or 4 FPs my team had a healer who istead of healing was doing damage instead. As a tank this gets frustrating, as you're holding aggro, but there is no one healing you. has this happened to you guys? I start to feel there is a trend growing of using dps flagged as healers to enter fps easiear.

I Recently created a Guardian (Vigilance DPS).

A lot of times I run into this problem too with fake tanks or healers. Luckily in case of Tanks I can then switch to Soresu stance and take over the tanking. Although my tanking capabilities are a LOT less than a real tank. It at least let's the group progress further. My main is a Assassin tank so I luckily know how to compensate for lack of threat with the extra DPS and the squishyness on my Guardian (Rotate Defensive CD's constantly).

Hell, last group I had; we had a healer which only did DPS and when we called him out on it: he left. My Doc was well geared so I pulled him out and disabled all damaging utilities as well as "Carbonite spray". We completed the entire HM instance with my companion healing it with ease. It was hilarious, sad and ironic at the same time.

I feel ya man, not a lot we can do about it though. That's the main problem with PUGs. You might get the greatest group of all time or you can get the worst. Only way to avoid it is to only go with folks you know.

I'm on a Jugg tank lvl 53, and my gear is alright (all focused on str/end and def/shield, but still 120s). I always flag myself as tank, as my dam is too low.

The last "healer" didn't even threw a small heal. we managed to complete the fp (the dps were quite good), but it was so hard, and I was always on the verge of dying. Imo if you want to dps then flag yourself as dps, if you want to heal as healer, and as tank if you want to tank.

Hell, last group I had; we had a healer which only did DPS and when we called him out on it: he left. My Doc was well geared so I pulled him out and disabled all damaging utilities as well as "Carbonite spray". We completed the entire HM instance with my companion healing it with ease. It was hilarious, sad and ironic at the same time.

I know. It's just frustrating. And then they just leave, or don't respond at all. one of the previous fps the "healer" was running around aggroing mobs and getting killed. 1 because he was always ahead of the group and 2 because there was no real healer.

You know, sometimes it IS a mistake. Recently ran a lower level flashpoint with a couple guildmates and a random player in which I was auto-tagged by Group Finder as the healer - on my mercenary who is specced for dps (with maybe three points to heals). Luckily my group knew what they were doing, and I was able to provide those minimal heals as needed, or we'd been screwed.

Looking back, it was a good experience since I'd pretty much ignored the mercenary's healing abilities (even for myself). But my point is that *I* did not misrepresent myself.

If it's a mistake, the person should own up to it.

Instead, you get the silent treatment. They leave, or they just keep on trucking dpsing instead of tanking or healing.

Normally when I hit level 15, my first fp is always a healer/tank ones even on my DPS toon. I always forget to toggle off the role :o

I just tell the group. More often than not it is just a KDY so it doesn't matter.

Gotta think some of this reason esp if it's getting worse(if that's possible) is with all new ppl who subbed and preordered for 12XExp and aren't familiar with gf. Like that they need to set their roles, I know it's should be obvious but what can ya do?

It's so freaking annoying when that happens. I hate being queue'd for over an hour, finally getting a pop, then the healer is actually DPS or a DPS think they're the tank. I vote to kick them, usually ending up with them crying, "wft, y u kik me?" Because, you're wasting everyone's time just so that you can take a shortcut that we opted not to take! I seriously have this happen at least twice a day. I get to run about 3-4 FPs a day.

I even had a Madness Sorc argue with me. Me: "Great, our healer is Madness spec..." Him: "***, no im nt" Me: "Then why are you casting your force lightning with no CD?" Him: "realy? all sors do that" END. Seriously? I have a level 55 Madness sorc, I know when I see one. Death Field also gives it away...

One time, when I was tanking, I had a DPS that thought he was the tank. I tried to explain to him that the symbol under our portraits tell you the role you are. Mine was a shield, so I'm tank. His is the red X, so he's DPS. Eventually, he just got mad and said, "just tank, pls" Which, I've been doing the entire time because he was also a horrible tank. I asked why he wouldn't switch out of his tanking form, his reply, "bcuz im leveing this form up" ... What does that even mean? I told him forms don't level up from using them, he thought I was stupid...

Yes, every person that doesn't play their role talks like that, haha. In most cases, I ignore the person (I have a large ignore list) and leave the group. I refuse to waste my time in a game I paid for to drag along someone's slack because they're impatient. I'll run lower levels through FPs and such, but I won't tolerate ignorance on a game that gives me the tools to avoid those people.

EDIT: Just wanted to say in case people were thinking I'm an elitist or something! Or, rude... I'm generally always being nice. But! I do remember ONE time that the person said they were sorry for queueing as a Healer when they wanted to play DPS. They forgot to uncheck the box (why are these defaulted to being checked anyways?). So, since I happened to be on my Sorc, we ran the FP with two off healers instead. If they own up to it being a mistake and say they're sorry, I'll still play the FP. Though, that's only happened once out of many many times...

Edited by SkyCakeLight

It's a shame that there are people who do this on purpose just to get a pop, but it is also an easy mistake to make. I had it happen to me, and I'm not even a new player - just one who is unfamiliar with group finder. I was never asked to choose a role (I could have sworn that the one other time I used it, I got a pop up asking me to choose), and I didn't realize that you could set your role manually without actually entering a group. Also, even if you are set correctly, the game occasionally resets your choice (I think every time there is a patch?) and you are back at default again, which is all roles for your class.

I'm just thankful that I was in a group of mostly guildmates when it happened, or else I'm sure I would have been yelled at. I was halfway through the FP before I figured out that those teeny tiny icons next to our portraits were role designations, and that I had been assigned as a tank. My other guild mates were just as clueless as I was, and the new guy was apparently too polite to say anything. :o Thankfully, we were all over-geared and breezing through the FP anyway, so it all worked out.

I don't mind when the person does a mistake and explains it. What I do mind is when people who do this say nothing, pretending we're not talking to them. And being the 4th time in a row, I tought I asked if this was a trend. :confused:

As for roles, sometimes with my dps comando I throw some heals to help the healer a bit, but I mainly focus on dps and flag myself as dps. But a healer or tank have an important task, sometimes the difference between a smooth fp run and a long one are affected by them.

Now, wouldn't it be nice, if the new skill system eventually made it possible for the game to automatically detect your stance (Since you can no longer have hybrids) and autoset it for GF (and NOT give you the option to change it before the FP, thus eliminating mistakes/douche-behavior)?

In the case of the legacy-reset option, having it could probably be programmed to allow you to reset your stance, once you are INSIDE the instance, if, for instance, the tank left and your team has a hard time finding a new one...

Would I love this? Oh yes I would... :cool:

- But enough dreaming for now...

Now, wouldn't it be nice, if the new skill system eventually made it possible for the game to automatically detect your stance (Since you can no longer have hybrids) and autoset it for GF (and NOT give you the option to change it before the FP, thus eliminating mistakes/douche-behavior)?
But will the game be able to detect a field respec unlock. I know many real tanks that do dailies as dps and then respec and change gear inside flashpoints. I do the same thing on my sage at times. Of course if people don't like this, then tanks and healers can always enter GF FPs with a full group and the dps can remain in que waiting for it to pop. :D

But will the game be able to detect a field respec unlock.

Well, it has to be.. If you haven't bought the unlock, you can't use it.. If you've bought it you can... There must be a check, or every time you re-logged, it would reset the unlock to locked.

Edited by Lord_Robert

A good workaround would be to have a neutral position by default and not 2 roles on the 3 available selected by the game for you.

Last toon I rolled was a scoundrel DPS with the 12XP, first time I queued her for a FP I was flagged as healer by the system, as I'm usually healing with my operative I didn't pay much attention to the little green logo behind my name.

Not a problem at all cause I always have the field respec available and I know how to play the class but for a beginner this could cause serious troubles and provide a very painful experience.

Shadows do this the most. While a Balance shadow can tank heroics and quests by speccing the 30% armour increase in Infiltration and switching to combat form, most newbies don't realise that this method will not hold up in Flashpoints or Operations.

Yes. Take the talent that boosts your armour rating in Shadow and Force Techniques, then use Combat technique and totally waste the points spent. Good job.