"Forced March" Utility name

venomlash

The Commando will in patch 3.0 get a Masterful Utility, as revealed by livestream, titled "Forced March". It will allow Full Auto, Boltstorm, and Successive Treatment to be channeled while moving.

I'm not the first to have questioned the name of this Utility. A forced march is generally something to which captured prisoners are subjected to, and to some conjures up hurtful images of the Bataan Death March, in which Japanese forces during World War II marched tens of thousands of Allied POWs to a prison camp, thousands of them dying along the way due to severe abuse. Another infamous forced march seared into the American collective memory is the Trail of Tears, in which American soldiers forced men, women, and children of several Native American nations to relocate, also with severe loss of life from harsh conditions and starvation.

This Veterans' Day weekend especially we should be mindful of such words' meanings. Personally, the term instantly gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

I personally am not a veteran, but the Trooper community has since pre-launch been a magnet for veterans drawn by the Trooper's military theme and commitment to duty. My guild, which sprang up out of the pre-launch Trooper Boot Camp RP threads, has been proud to count several of them among its founding membership.

To all military veterans in the SWTOR community, Republic and Imperial alike, I thank you for your service.

I suggest that the Utility in question be renamed to "Press the Assault" or similar, a phrase that better describes the action of delivering a heavy volley of fire while still moving forward. If you have any thoughts on the matter, I'm interested to hear your opinion.

I think we should also rename the Inquisitor's "Shock" ability because it reminds me of me of the electric chair. We should also rename the bounty hunter's rocket abilities because it reminds me of the Challenger space shuttle.

Wa waa waa.

Funny, in most of military history and terminology a forced march is a movement carried out at increased speed under adverse conditions, if memory serves.

Webster's agrees with me:

"a march (as of a military force) greater in extent than the distance usually covered and often carried out under difficulties (as increased pace or restricted halts)"

Wikitionary adds the prisoner element:

"(military) A movement on foot by soldiers or military prisoners, who must, in order to satisfy a military requirement, travel at a speed or in adverse conditions that would normally tire them excessively. "

And there is a long, long discussion of it over at http://history.stackexchange.com/questions/787/what-are-the-dynamics-of-a-forced-march

So basically, if you have no knowledge of military terms, I could see how you would knee-jerk associate this with gulag marches and prisoner abuse. But that's not what the term means. It is a pity that the phrase has been co-opted in modern parlance, but it is a pity because it demonstrates how far removed the general citizenry have become from active involvement with the military side of things. And that is a greater and deeper injury to veterans everywhere, as it results in a deep lack of understanding and false pity wasted on irrelevant things.

Wow, the OP not only makes up a non-issue, issue, but makes up history as he goes to. Good job, sir. It fascinates me how people continue to make up lies to try to create issues that don't exist.

He confused a 'death march' with 'force march', doubt that happened with some malicious intent, but was just a human error.

The Commando will in patch 3.0 get a Masterful Utility, as revealed by livestream, titled "Forced March". It will allow Full Auto, Boltstorm, and Successive Treatment to be channeled while moving.

I'm not the first to have questioned the name of this Utility. A forced march is generally something to which captured prisoners are subjected to, and to some conjures up hurtful images of the Bataan Death March, in which Japanese forces during World War II marched tens of thousands of Allied POWs to a prison camp, thousands of them dying along the way due to severe abuse. Another infamous forced march seared into the American collective memory is the Trail of Tears, in which American soldiers forced men, women, and children of several Native American nations to relocate, also with severe loss of life from harsh conditions and starvation.

This Veterans' Day weekend especially we should be mindful of such words' meanings. Personally, the term instantly gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

I personally am not a veteran, but the Trooper community has since pre-launch been a magnet for veterans drawn by the Trooper's military theme and commitment to duty. My guild, which sprang up out of the pre-launch Trooper Boot Camp RP threads, has been proud to count several of them among its founding membership.

To all military veterans in the SWTOR community, Republic and Imperial alike, I thank you for your service.

I suggest that the Utility in question be renamed to "Press the Assault" or similar, a phrase that better describes the action of delivering a heavy volley of fire while still moving forward. If you have any thoughts on the matter, I'm interested to hear your opinion.

Actually, there is another connotation to "Forced March", when a platoon of soldiers have to get somewhere yesterday. It's easy to look for ways to get offended, if one wants to, but "something prisoners are subjected to" was not the first thing that popped into my head when I read the name of the Utility. In fact, after I read it in this post, I couldn't stop chuckling about it.

Funny, in most of military history and terminology a forced march is a movement carried out at increased speed under adverse conditions, if memory serves.

Webster's agrees with me:

"a march (as of a military force) greater in extent than the distance usually covered and often carried out under difficulties (as increased pace or restricted halts)"

Wikitionary adds the prisoner element:

"(military) A movement on foot by soldiers or military prisoners, who must, in order to satisfy a military requirement, travel at a speed or in adverse conditions that would normally tire them excessively. "

And there is a long, long discussion of it over at http://history.stackexchange.com/questions/787/what-are-the-dynamics-of-a-forced-march

So basically, if you have no knowledge of military terms, I could see how you would knee-jerk associate this with gulag marches and prisoner abuse. But that's not what the term means. It is a pity that the phrase has been co-opted in modern parlance, but it is a pity because it demonstrates how far removed the general citizenry have become from active involvement with the military side of things. And that is a greater and deeper injury to veterans everywhere, as it results in a deep lack of understanding and false pity wasted on irrelevant things.

Yep. A forced march has nothing to do with POW's aside from the term being used incorrectly from its actual military meaning, typically by newsies who don't do their research.

The name is not offensive by any means, but I don't think it's fitting for the skill. A forced march implies 2 things: speed and exhaustion. A Utility with the name Forced March would, in my mind, imply that the trooper is continuing to act when out of resources. Perhaps something along the lines of "Recover 50% of resources when health drops below 20% while low on resources." Or something. Obviously this ability would be broken, and should never make it in to the game, but that's just what comes to mind. "Press the Assault," "Run and Gun," or maybe even something like "Tactical Mobility" would be more appropriate for the skill as it currently stands.

The name is not offensive by any means, but I don't think it's fitting for the skill. A forced march implies 2 things: speed and exhaustion. A Utility with the name Forced March would, in my mind, imply that the trooper is continuing to act when out of resources. Perhaps something along the lines of "Recover 50% of resources when health drops below 20% while low on resources." Or something. Obviously this ability would be broken, and should never make it in to the game, but that's just what comes to mind. "Press the Assault," "Run and Gun," or maybe even something like "Tactical Mobility" would be more appropriate for the skill as it currently stands.

"Run and Gun" and "Tactical Mobility" both sound better and more fitting than "Forced March". The first would be even more fitting as the equivalent for Bounty Hunters imo. "Forced March" still sounds better than "Press the Assault" though,

Edited by Rithoma

We need to get rid of dirty kick because it causes flashbacks for those of us that have been kicked in the **** before.

Also rename the various abilities called "______ probe", in deference to all of the players that have been abducted by aliens.

Edited by Joesixxpack

We need to get rid of dirty kick because it causes flashbacks for those of us that have been kicked in the **** before.

Also rename the various abilities called "______ probe", in deference to all of the players that have been abducted by aliens.

Did you get kicked in the balls while you were abducted by aliens? :eek: