The Male Body - A humble suggestion on how to improve it

Brambline

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What to say a user and he does better job than bioware's developers

I wonder who are these guys that have made this game with so many flaws.

I think ill have to stop reading post cause all i get is more and more upset about this game.

Good luck bioware thanks for your dissapointment.

I'm a game developer myself (I do 2d art) (not for Bioware though). To be fair I have to say I am really impressed with the look and polish of the game. The environments look awesome, the animations are a joy to watch, the color and contrast is well balanced, the user interface is beautiful and polished (although clearly inspired from Anarchy Online's UI style), the armor looks so good that no matter what my character is wearing and how the pieces are mixed, I always feel like she/he looks good (unlike the ghastly armor in WoW where it was a constant headache), the head meshes and face skins are very nice. And I could go on and on.

On a purely visual basis, the only thing I can really complain about is the anatomy of some of the characters. They were always a bit lacking, even back when we started seeing the first screenshots and teasers. I'm really surprised that considering it's the character we stare at most, making it the most important visual aspect, that they would not have nailed it like they nailed everything else. *scratches head*

So point being, let's not get too upset over this because there is much more good in this game than there is bad. Apparently you have had other disappointments as well. I have too, but these are still early days and I am confident that this game has nowhere to go but up to bigger and better things. Imagine all the money they're making with this! With that money they'll have the resources to fix and improve what is already an awesome game and the first MMO which has excited me this much since when WoW was released.

thoddiver: Yeah my eyes kept going to the hands and arms as well, but I didn't do anything about them. I'd say the arms need to be a twinge longer and the hands themselves a bit wider and manlier.

Thanks for your words of support, but knowing how much our devs are also restricted in making posts on forums and how controlled it is what one can and cannot say, I'd guess that even if they did read this post amongst the thousands of other posts out there, that they'd not be allowed to comment such things even if they wanted to.

Liquidacid: Breast slider? Sure, as they long as they give us gals package sliders too. Girls have you noticed that some of the make characters are actually quite well... "put together"? *cough cough cough*

Are you trying to take away my characters' perfect asses?!

Anyway, I think one of the modelers had way too much time on their hands when it came to designing characters' backsides ;)

Oh you like the current male butts? Personally I find them a bit too rounded and shapeless. I decided to define the butt a bit more, try the longer arms and tone down that package.

http://andrea.net/pics/human_male_body.jpg

Seriously, as much as I can appreciate a man who is "blessed" by his maker, it's sometimes distracting in this game and I find myself looking at other things than their faces when quest givers explain stuff to me in dialogues.

Pretty disappointed in the models here too. I made a pic back in beta to show 2 of them:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l533/Baublehead/SWTOR/side3.png

Trouble is, at this point if they change them some people will scream that they liked the old ones (you know it will happen).

This should have been done right the first time and it may just be too late now >.>

EDIT: It looks like they know about the butt issue at least (from the Reddit AMA):

Q: I noticed the robes for the Jedi Knights had oddly proportioned butts.

I think the word you're looking for is 'bustle' (the thing at the back of a Victoria era dress). Perhaps you can keep your Lightsaber in there?

We've raised that one as an issue.

Edited by EwokLuvr

Thanks for expressing your opinions everyone. Who knows, maybe they might make even a smidgen of a fix, small enough so the "But I liked the old version better" people (who say that for the sake of saying it) won't notice and the people who do, will swear that the character looks a bit better. Enough for it not to be so blatant anymore.

EwokLuvr: That is an awesome image and perfectly brings out the other issues the male body has. I'd have loved to be a fly on their meeting room wall when they discussed the original plan for the male character anatomy...

While I am sure there are other people out there that aren’t bothered by this, it doesn’t sit well with me.

Especially on Body type 3 and 4, the chest juts out far beyond anything that could be considered normal. My character looks deformed, and since most of the NPC’s use the same models, it’s a constant eyesore.

I really hope they fix this. Other proportion issues aside, I’m at the point where I’d settle for a “flat chested” option in the character generator.

Edited by Skedel

Speaking of bodies being plain WRONG... this morning I encountered the first NPC child I've seen in the game so far. She had the voice of a 9 year old, however they never bothered to make a child's body, instead she has a mini version of the female body, with cleavage, hips, waist and everything! What the hell? This was just creepy!

http://andrea.net/pics/girl.jpg

Edited by Brambline

Speaking of bodies being plain WRONG... this morning I encountered the first NPC child I've seen in the game so far. She had the voice of a 9 year old, however they never bothered to make a child's body, instead she has a mini version of the female body, with cleavage, hips, waist and everything! What the hell? This was just creepy!

She looks fine. Like shes betweem 13-14. Girls mature earlier then boys so its not uncommon to see girls end up with some ***** and a butt starting around that age. I've seen photos of girls that looked like they were in their early 20s and end up being 15. They are called "Jail Bait".

I'm a female player and most of my character's are females. I have to say I am very happy with the female body type II and have used that for all my girlies. However today I made a male character (hey we ladies like to have something nice to look at too ya know) and quickly noticed that his body proportions looked very strange indeed. Usually females have long legs and short torsos, but in the human male should be the opposite: longer torsos with a lower laying waistline as well.

I decided to take a screenshot and play around with it in Photoshop, cutting and moving the parts around and this is what I came up with:

http://andrea.net/pics/human_male_body.jpg

1) Elongate the torso and shorten the legs

2) Move the waistline closer to the crotch

3) Widen the hips and rib cage

Since body Type II is the default body for the male when you first make one, and since it is meant to represent the most neutral type of body (versus the skinny type I, the bodybuilder Type III & the chunky Type IV), I think it's important that Type II would look relatively natural and allow players to have at least one choice of character that doesn't look weird to them.

I'm not even going to go into the "Man fuller chest" issue, but I've seen A LOT of men complaining about that. I don't find it that much of an issue myself, although filling out the male waistline from the side as well would do wonders to balance things out.

Any thoughts?

I agree... Body type 2 looks unnatural even for a stylized game.

If they wanted to create a heroic "default" body type for males (as in not skinny, massive or fat), all they needed to do is to reference ancient Greek statues.

Actually, I gotta admit, that bothered me a little too, and I'm waay more broad-minded than I probably should be. The voice really didn't match the figure, and when I encountered her, I felt like a pervert for a few seconds, without really knowing why..

Also, I liked your mock-ups. I'm all for fantasy proportions, but the current Male Type 2 is far too anime (and I think you know the genre of anime I'm talking about).

I have some skill at 3D design, and theoretically, re-modelling the proportions of the Type 2 shouldn't be a massive undertaking. How it relates to other objects in the game, scripts and game systems, that I don't know.

She looks fine. Like shes betweem 13-14. Girls mature earlier then boys so its not uncommon to see girls end up with some ***** and a butt starting around that age. I've seen photos of girls that looked like they were in their early 20s and end up being 15. They are called "Jail Bait".

Hey if they would have given her a teen girl's voice, I'd have no problem. But the way she's sitting on the floor like a little kid would, and her voice being such a small girl's voice is totally mismatched. It's not the voice of a teen girl's. But it's like she's 7, 8, 9 or 10.

Aside all that, I thought it was very refreshing to see a child NPC for a change. It gave more reality to the game. Kids were part of the Star Wars movies, they should be a part of the game as well.

Actually, I gotta admit, that bothered me a little too, and I'm waay more broad-minded than I probably should be. The voice really didn't match the figure, and when I encountered her, I felt like a pervert for a few seconds, without really knowing why..

Also, I liked your mock-ups. I'm all for fantasy proportions, but the current Male Type 2 is far too anime (and I think you know the genre of anime I'm talking about).

I have some skill at 3D design, and theoretically, re-modelling the proportions of the Type 2 shouldn't be a massive undertaking. How it relates to other objects in the game, scripts and game systems, that I don't know.

Our 3d modellers at work claim that it shouldn't be a problem making such fixes.

Shameless bump.

The goofy male models, with the "either you're a skinny 'head on a stick' or you're a Hulk on steroid" and the "on top of that, your proportions are completely wacky", have make me unable to play a male toon. And I'm getting tired of playing only women.

Don't dismiss it as an unimportant detail. Models that make you unable to play some characters are not something trivial in a game that requires the players to invest a lot in their avatars - makeing them unbearable for the player may makes him unwilling to invest himself in them, and as such lose interest in the game.