Commando DPS+Support Heal doable?

dargor-

My GF plays a Jedi Sage and I've been thinking of rolling a Commando but as you'd expect, 2 full on healers won't be that great for 4-mans.

I was wondering, how is the commando's healing capabilities when spec'd in Gunnery or Assault? As another option, how is the medic's damage output capability?

As Gunnery you could help a little in tough healing situations, but the only heals you would have are a 2.5 second heal and a 1.5 sec heal on a cooldown.

As a medic you would have an instant buff that heals your tank when he takes damage, an instant AoE, and an instant heal. Your two other heals have shorter cast times and cooldowns too. With Combat Support Cell, you can use it for damage I guess, because it reduces the ammo costs of some damage abilities when you activate it's charges. This is to allow the healer medic some DPS options when no healing is needed, I guess.

If throwing out some weaker heals occasionally is all you want, then go Gunnery because they at least have heals, unlike gunslingers or sentinels would. A medic on the other hand, has a lot of instant heals, which could let you heal much more and focus on DPS, but you'd be doing much, much less damage.

Currently hybrid myself and it's fine. Not quite as good damage as gunnery and not quite as good (though much closer) healing as combat medic.

Just shoot for trauma probe in CM and grav round in Gunnery and fill in the rest to suit both roles accordingly. I recommend focusing on combat support cell, as you can supercharge to fire off 6 free cost charged bolts with it.

It's a mixed bag. Up to level 30 or so you can solo heal 4 man heroics as long as you run with a competent group. They HAVE TO keep the mobs off of you because you have no anti-pushback talents. This is probably the major problem I have had while healing with a DPS spec. After Tatooine it gets progressively more difficult to heal with a DPS spec in heroics.

However, you will not be able to main heal the boss encounters in flashpoints starting with Mandalorian Raiders around level 25. There is just too much healing needed over a long time period. If you have a lot of skill and a good group you may be able to pull it off, but no one wants a main healer with those requirements if they can get a heal specced trooper instead.

IMHO, dual specs would be a very, very nice addition to this game. It would make grouping a lot easier. Hopefully we will be able to switch between heal and DPS specs on the fly in the near future.