Security Key Vendor: Fleet Pass

AxeX

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally see what BW wants to do with this. A lot of people don't want to be bothered to either spend $4 for added security or even be bothered to download a free app for their phone(if they have one) for added security. This works as an incentive to do one of either.

The people who don't secure their account are the same ones that will cry and complain when they do get hacked because they aquire keyloggers, etc on their computer. The time BW staff spend on investigating and recouping all the items someone lost because of a hacker could easily be avoided with one of these two things.

I say REWARD those that secure their accounts. Now BW isn't making it MANDATORY to do so... they're just making it REALLY appealing to do so.

Exactly. I would be using the security key anyway even if they didn't have a store...because I am paranoid about my online security. People like me don't need an in game store that is exclusive to us to give us an incentive to use it...Normal people do. People who aren't security conscious.

This kind of thing should be encouraged, and the fleet pass is probably the most appealing thing to most people in the game...it gives people who wouldn't normally get the security key a very good incentive to get one and secure their account. This is absolutely a good thing and I am totally against making the fleet pass an item available to everyone. That completely defeats that primary purpose for putting the fleet pass in that vendor.

I totally see what BW wants to do with this. A lot of people don't want to be bothered to either spend $4 for added security or even be bothered to download a free app for their phone(if they have one) for added security. This works as an incentive to do one of either.

The people who don't secure their account are the same ones that will cry and complain when they do get hacked because they aquire keyloggers, etc on their computer. The time BW staff spend on investigating and recouping all the items someone lost because of a hacker could easily be avoided with one of these two things.

I say REWARD those that secure their accounts. Now BW isn't making it MANDATORY to do so... they're just making it REALLY appealing to do so.

This. Much as I don't like it, he's right. It IS incentive. I doubt most of you realize how much a 'hacked' account costs a company.

A security key costs nothing for iPhone and Android users. Heck, pretty much anything mobile device including Apple and non apple tablets can run the security key also. I downloaded the app on my LG Revolution and never paid one red cent.

The one that is mailed to you costs 3-4 bucks iirc. If you can't afford a one time charge of 3-4 bucks, then you probably are out of your comfort zone already paying a $15.00 a month sub fee.

The 1 hour fleet passes are in the security key vendor ONLY in order to encourage people to make their accounts more secure. I think that's exactly where they should stay and should not be available to people who don't have the key. It's an incentive for having to drag out your phone and type in an extra password every time you log in.

Where's the incentive for those that don't:

1. Give their friends/guildies/powerleveling services thier account details.

2. Get phished.

3. Have all sorts of malware on an unsecured PC.

Almost all account issues aren't "hacking" they are one of the above. The only hacking that really occurs is when a flaw is found in the game client or server code (and a security key wouldn't help).

It's like making people always wear a life-jacket instead of them actually learning how to swim. :confused:

You also have to keep in mind that the fleet passes from the vendor give hackers instant access to everything they need to pillage your toon and dump it off quick to one of their accounts. Your bank, the GTN, mail boxes. Yes, the emergency pass does the same but has a ridiculous cool down so if you use it while you play, the chances of a hacker being able to use it while you're offline is reduced. And yes, they can just travel to a mail box or the fleet themselves but depending where you log your character out, it's one hell of a hassle to find a GTN or a bank.

TLDR

Fleet Passes = Loading the burglars truck for him.

You also have to keep in mind that the fleet passes from the vendor give hackers instant access to everything they need to pillage your toon and dump it off quick to one of their accounts. Your bank, the GTN, mail boxes. Yes, the emergency pass does the same but has a ridiculous cool down so if you use it while you play, the chances of a hacker being able to use it while you're offline is reduced. And yes, they can just travel to a mail box or the fleet themselves but depending where you log your character out, it's one hell of a hassle to find a GTN or a bank.

TLDR

Yeah but the thing is- if you have a security key your chances of being hacked drop to nothing. So your arguement is moot.

They offer stuff to give people incentive to buy a security key. It costs them infinitely more money to undo and fix your hacked account.

Same reason WOW offers a Corehound pup... INCENTIVE to use and buy a security key.

TLDR

If that is another reason SWTORs travel system is so bad..... an effective security system. :D

Then Bioware could teach Machiavelli a thing or two. :eek:

It's like making people always wear a life-jacket instead of them actually learning how to swim. :confused:

Indeed, but people are stupid, so it's either try to get them to use an authenticator or deal with having to recover accounts for them all the time. Teaching people how to secure their computers are something I'm sure Bioware don't want to do (nor should they have to)

Edited by Lundli

Indeed, but people are stupid, so it's either try to get them to use an authenticator or deal with having to recover accounts for them all the time. Teaching people how to secure ther computers are something I'm sure Bioware don't want to do (nor should they have to)

True.

But then neither is having to buy a security key to have a semi-working in-game travel system.

Edited by Goretzu

I bought the security key just for the fleet passes, I could have used the android app but I like having the physical key fob.

If people thought EA wouldn't cash in on some microtransactions, they are sorely mistaken. Expect plenty more stuff like this that doesn't give you an edge over other players, but more convenience items in the future. It's just what EA does, and BW is with them so it's them too.

I think they should be available to everyone too, but I gladly paid extra for the key just for convenience.

Blizzard did this as well, if you bought their security key, you got a unique mini-pet, any game that I have seen that offers something like a security key almost always has some in game bonus for those that buy it. This is not an EA or BW thing, it is an incentive found in many games (PC, Console, MMO) by many companies ...

Yeah but the thing is- if you have a security key your chances of being hacked drop to nothing. So your arguement is moot.

They offer stuff to give people incentive to buy a security key. It costs them infinitely more money to undo and fix your hacked account.

Same reason WOW offers a Corehound pup... INCENTIVE to use and buy a security key.

My point, which I admit wasn't very clear, is that that is why, I imagine at least, it's a security vendor only item. A key protected account gets the perk of having that fleet pass because it's protected. Whereas an unprotected account that had access to the passes: "Give farmers ALL the things!!`*insert all the things meme*

Agreed. This should be generally available.

Disagree. I didnt read all the other posts yet but to be brief.

Buying a security key adds in extra protection to your account which in return makes it more likely that Bioware doesnt have to waste any time or resourses on comprimised accounts than of those individuals.

Its a reward and if you want the reward than help them out by helping yourself out by getting a security key.

Stop with the I must have because he has no matter how he got it I want it now.

BTW before anyone starts calling me a selfish player because I have one and dont want you to have one also. I do not have a security key so I dont have one. If I wanted one then I will get a security key.

I support anything that increases awareness of security keys and the likelihood of people having them.

I have worked in tech support (not of an mmo), and telling people 'its not our fault you keep randomly googling **** sites' does not make for a happy customer.

I have dealt with hacked accounts, both mine once, and a many friends, its no fun, and the security key is amazingly effective at preventing it.

If I had a say, that thing would be included in the box for every copy of the game sold.

So hell, put more, better stuff on the vendor, I'm cool with that.

That would be a good question. Why dont they just add one into the box when you buy it and charge 65 instead of 60.

First they make some extra money buy not having shipping of the item since its with the box shipping and that would almost make any hacks nil.

The physical key costs 4 dollars plus the shipping and taxes, the App costs nothing but requires a smartphone (and contrary to popular belief, not everyone has one!).

Costs ~$15 to order from Origin here in the UK, a fairly significant difference (though more as a matter of principal rather than inability to afford)

My phone is a Nokia N8 running the Symbian^3 OS, so I can't get the mobile app. Niether want users with phones running Windows mobile, nor Blackberry users. Last I heard, Bioware were not intending to include anyone other than IPhone and Android users.

Overall though, my biggest concern is that if I lost a fob, it stopped working for some reason (a little piece of plastic attatched to keys...), forgot to charge my phone, or any number of other reasons (including reported problems with the apps) I would be totally locked out of the game. Then I'd have to go through the hell of phoning customer services, internationally, during US working hours, for 3 or 4 hours. That fear makes the security key a no-go for me

Well overall the fleet pass has got to be the #1 reason people buy the key, now for why.

Well of you put a non game breaking, highly desired item that saves time on the vendor more people will buy/get the key making it less work for BW CS restoring stolen accounts.

All in all its pure win for the customer and BW.

So I must ask, why is an item with a hugely requested feature (THE EMERGENCY ONE DOES NOT COUNT) only available to those with Security Key vendors?

You can easily produce the same result by using your regular recall device to the taxi station with a FP shuttle in game, which will send you back to the fleet immediately. There's a FP shuttle on every planet outside of the starter ones such as Hutta and Korriban.

And your recall thingy only has a half hour cooldown.

But a lot of people haven't seemed to bother checking out anything that doesn't have a quest icon, so they just think that they have to use the fleet pass.

I've used the emergency fleet pass a few times on my main before realizing that it's much easier to just recall to FP shuttle and go straight back to fleet. No need to wait for 18 hour cool down or run through the spaceport.

The fleet pass with a shorter cooldown is just a bonus on top of the added security to those who have gotten an authenticator.

Costs ~$15 to order from Origin here in the UK, a fairly significant difference (though more as a matter of principal rather than inability to afford)

My phone is a Nokia N8 running the Symbian^3 OS, so I can't get the mobile app. Niether want users with phones running Windows mobile, nor Blackberry users. Last I heard, Bioware were not intending to include anyone other than IPhone and Android users.

Overall though, my biggest concern is that if I lost a fob, it stopped working for some reason (a little piece of plastic attatched to keys...), forgot to charge my phone, or any number of other reasons (including reported problems with the apps) I would be totally locked out of the game. Then I'd have to go through the hell of phoning customer services, internationally, during US working hours, for 3 or 4 hours. That fear makes the security key a no-go for me

Aye having worked with security keys for many, many years in other software, they can be a problem.

Really for MMO accounts they are over-kill IMO, except for those that do the things I mentioned in my post above.

Having the fleet pass on a security vendor only is a big draw for security key, but only because the travel system is so broken...... so I'm not sure what Bioware is really going for here.

"Buy a security key because otherwise our travel system is broken!"..... not really PR gold. :D

True.

But then neither is having to buy a security key to have a semi-working in-game travel system.

There's a fully functional in game travel system. I use it every day when both of my fleet passes are on CD. It's annoying, but it works.

Here's another cool way to use your security key vendor. Use it to buy a Rhythm augment droid. When you get into an Alderaan WZ you run to the left or right turret and pop it while you cap. From a distance it looks like an extra player. If you and your buddy both go do it, then they might not even attempt to take that turret from the start.

There's a fully functional in game travel system. I use it every day when both of my fleet passes are on CD. It's annoying, but it works.

It works in the context of you can travel, I agree, but as you say it is annoying.

My context of "works" would be a functional NON-ANNOYING system...... you know one like it becomes more like with Fleet Pass. :)

The fact is if Fleet Pass works at all as a draw factor, then the basic travel system is flawed.

It's just a case of whether Bioware wants it that way or not. :confused:

Agreed it make your account more sccure and ill bet that it was the cheapest that ea would let bioware custmer sevice sell them for ill bet they wanted togive them away

That is the most ignorant statement ever...lol. They sell the Key FOB for dirt cheap because they have to pay for atleast the parts and labor, you know people dont' make plastic and little electronic boards for free not even in China.

The money they don't gain from the Free App or the couple of bucks the key costs is saved by not having X thousands of accounts constantly compromised costing them money, time, and customers who can't get their account back.

Its also the standard set by ..let me .. god say the evil word...WoW. WoW has a free app, and the key fob is the same price. They're simply following the standard set for how to best help customers secure their accounts.

People should stop being lazy and atleast get the FREE APP so they can have access to the Vendor's Fleet pass. Problem Solved.

Edited by Kindara

Aye having worked with security keys for many, many years in other software, they can be a problem.

Really for MMO accounts they are over-kill IMO, except for those that do the things I mentioned in my post above.

Having the fleet pass on a security vendor only is a big draw for security key, but only because the travel system is so broken...... so I'm not sure what Bioware is really going for here.

"Buy a security key because otherwise our travel system is broken!"..... not really PR gold. :D

And ironically, the broken travel system can be combined with another bug to get an instant 'fleet pass' with no cooldown any time you're near any taxi. Any time you join a warfront with your feet off the floor, when you leave the warzone you'll find yourself on the fleet. Annoyingly I only ever seem to remember this a split second after I join a WZ on the taxi TO Ilum and never when it's actually convenient

Security keys are sold for less than the cost to produce and ship. Even getting the free one on android still requires them paying for a license through the company that developed the feature and to some of the app stores (apple is $100/year, not expensive for a big company but still makes each key app cost more than you paid for it).

What BW gets for people buying/dling security keys is less overhead paying to investigate and fix "hacked"accounts and taking the CS people away from other issues. It also means they can spend more money on enhancement than fixing stuff because some idiot clicked a link he/she wasn't supposed to and got their account jacked.

You should be rewarded for being smart with your account and a cheap 1 hour cooldown fleet pass is a great one. Keep it on the security vendors and keep it away from the people too lazy to enter an 8 digit key when logging in.

I think the security key is a joke. I mean, come on, this is a game. The credit card is obscured, my adress anyone can have it if they camp my mailbox.

My 3 bank accounts have only username and password, and yet in this MMO I have to type in security questions every time I reboot my PC, and am supposed to have a security key?

Get real

So that's what that thing is for? I saw that and couldn't figure out why they were selling fleet passes when I already have one in my general abilities tab. So instead of the 18 hour CD, it's a disposable, 1 hour cooldown pass. Good to know. Might have to pick one up now, carry it around for when I wanna zip over to the fleet quickly. Thanks.

I think the security key is a joke.

Either you are new to MMO's or simply don't understand the point behind the security key.

The point is to lower costs for EA, and save you the trouble of having to deal with a hacked account.

Don't want to use it, then don't. Not sure what your issue is.