Security Key Vendor: Fleet Pass

AxeX

Just got my Security Key in the mail today and was super excited to see what cosmetic items I'd find in the Vendor (as well as the added security). I was mostly happy with what I found. Companion customisation kits, mounts, pets, and a social outfit.

Then I saw the Fleet Pass, and did some research into it.

Upon use, it consumes the Fleet Pass and after the full activation time you are taken to the Fleet, with a one hour cooldown tied to any other Fleet Pass you bought. They cost 1,000 credits each. This is ONLY AVAILABLE TO SECURITY KEY OWNERS.

So I must ask, why is an item with a hugely requested feature (THE EMERGENCY ONE DOES NOT COUNT) only available to those with Security Key vendors? The physical key costs 4 dollars plus the shipping and taxes, the App costs nothing but requires a smartphone (and contrary to popular belief, not everyone has one!).

I'm still happy with my key, mainly because I got it for the added security, I'm just disappointed that BioWare made one of the items Security Key exclusive.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my Security Key in the mail today and was super excited to see what cosmetic items I'd find in the Vendor (as well as the added security). I was mostly happy with what I found. Companion customisation kits, mounts, pets, and a social outfit.

Upon use, it consumes the Fleet Pass and after the full activation time you are taken to the Fleet, with a one hour cooldown tied to any other Fleet Pass you bought. They cost 1,000 credits each. This is ONLY AVAILABLE TO SECURITY KEY OWNERS.

So I must ask, why is an item with a hugely requested feature (THE EMERGENCY ONE DOES NOT COUNT) only available to those with Security Key vendors? The physical key costs 4 dollars plus the shipping and taxes, the App costs nothing but requires a smartphone (and contrary to popular belief, not everyone has one!).

I'm still happy with my key, mainly because I got it for the added security, I'm just disappointed that BioWare made one of the items Security Key exclusive.

I bought the security key just for the fleet passes, I could have used the android app but I like having the physical key fob.

If people thought EA wouldn't cash in on some microtransactions, they are sorely mistaken. Expect plenty more stuff like this that doesn't give you an edge over other players, but more convenience items in the future. It's just what EA does, and BW is with them so it's them too.

I think they should be available to everyone too, but I gladly paid extra for the key just for convenience.

I totally see what BW wants to do with this. A lot of people don't want to be bothered to either spend $4 for added security or even be bothered to download a free app for their phone(if they have one) for added security. This works as an incentive to do one of either.

The people who don't secure their account are the same ones that will cry and complain when they do get hacked because they aquire keyloggers, etc on their computer. The time BW staff spend on investigating and recouping all the items someone lost because of a hacker could easily be avoided with one of these two things.

I say REWARD those that secure their accounts. Now BW isn't making it MANDATORY to do so... they're just making it REALLY appealing to do so.

You realize that EA/Bioware aren't really making a lot of money at all on the transaction. The things are dirt cheap and the cost pretty much just covers shipping.

The real reward for them is less time trying to recover hacked accounts.

Pretty much that. I doubt they're making any appreciable profit out of the security keys, if they're even making a profit; it sounds like they're selling them for cost + P&P.

This is an incentive put in place by their customer service department. Unfortunately most casual gamers are... dumb. They do not protect their email, they visit unsafe sites without virus protection and get phished on a regular basis. Their accounts get hacked and are often on the phone with customer service enraged and blaming BioWare because their own incompetence caused a phisher to score an account. By adding a security key incentive, they allow these people to bypass having their account phised and thereby alleviating headaches and customer support man hours dedicated to the 'specials' that play their game.

Because the more people that have security keys, the less accounts are comprimized, the less time and money Bioware has to expend to fix it. By placing good things in these vendors it raises the amount of people that will get them. Simple really. Get the app for your phone or get the fob. Get fleet passes. Win.

I support anything that increases awareness of security keys and the likelihood of people having them.

I have worked in tech support (not of an mmo), and telling people 'its not our fault you keep randomly googling **** sites' does not make for a happy customer.

I have dealt with hacked accounts, both mine once, and a many friends, its no fun, and the security key is amazingly effective at preventing it.

If I had a say, that thing would be included in the box for every copy of the game sold.

So hell, put more, better stuff on the vendor, I'm cool with that.

• 2 weeks later...
am i missing something here as i have 3 toons on the go and all of them were given the fleet pass ability at around 10 and no purchase was needed in fact the 1 in the shop im puzzled by as seen it there is kinda pointless.

The free pass is once per day. The exclusive item is once per hour. It's for people who want to keep jumping back to the fleet without any effort.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

• 5 weeks later...
I totally see what BW wants to do with this. A lot of people don't want to be bothered to either spend $4 for added security or even be bothered to download a free app for their phone(if they have one) for added security. This works as an incentive to do one of either.

The people who don't secure their account are the same ones that will cry and complain when they do get hacked because they aquire keyloggers, etc on their computer. The time BW staff spend on investigating and recouping all the items someone lost because of a hacker could easily be avoided with one of these two things.

I say REWARD those that secure their accounts. Now BW isn't making it MANDATORY to do so... they're just making it REALLY appealing to do so.

I would gladly get one for android but there is small problem. I live in Europe and its not avaible here.

i dont care about account security, i only used my key because i wanted to see what was in the vendor, i did it before actual release so there wasnt any info on it yet since i got my CE early, very satisfied with the **** outfit and fleet pass.

really hate having it on my account tho... so annoying!

I would gladly get one for android but there is small problem. I live in Europe and its not avaible here.

The Android one is available in Europe. My and several of my guildies have it. Just go to the Android store, search for swtor and you'll find it.

The Android one is available in Europe. My and several of my guildies have it. Just go to the Android store, search for swtor and you'll find it.

Ok found problem. There are two of them on market. One (that work) from "Electronic Arts Nederland BV", second that didn't work (can't be installed in your country) from "Electronic Arts Inc".

Yes, I completely agree, having this as a security vendor only option is pretty much madness, when travel is one of the most complained about issues in the game.

am i missing something here as i have 3 toons on the go and all of them were given the fleet pass ability at around 10 and no purchase was needed in fact the 1 in the shop im puzzled by as seen it there is kinda pointless.

Emergency Fleet Pass is a 16 hour CD ability everyone gets.

Fleet Pass (1 hour CD) is a bought "ticket" ability only those with access to the security vendor can buy.

They are different things with confusingly similar names. :)

Security key is free on iPhone and Android phones. Not sure why you wouldn't have it at all. 99% of "gold sellers" get their in-game cash these days through hacked accounts (via phishing, power leveling service, etc.)

While using a security key doesn't not make you completely immune to account hacking it sure as hell deters them.

Its just an incentive for everyone to get a security key. They want you to get one and they should.

Is that why they made the travel system as bad as it currently is without access to Fleet Pass?

Positively Machiavellian of Bioware if so. :eek:

A security key costs nothing for iPhone and Android users. Heck, pretty much anything mobile device including Apple and non apple tablets can run the security key also. I downloaded the app on my LG Revolution and never paid one red cent.

The one that is mailed to you costs 3-4 bucks iirc. If you can't afford a one time charge of 3-4 bucks, then you probably are out of your comfort zone already paying a $15.00 a month sub fee.

The 1 hour fleet passes are in the security key vendor ONLY in order to encourage people to make their accounts more secure. I think that's exactly where they should stay and should not be available to people who don't have the key. It's an incentive for having to drag out your phone and type in an extra password every time you log in.