Itemization In 2.x And You: How to get dressed the smart way!

tensix

With the expansion drawing to a close and a boatload of new experience-boosted level 55s on the way thanks to the preorder bonus, it may well be too late for something like this. But since I hit 55 and failed to find an omnibus gearing guide a couple weeks ago, now's when I finished it. For your consideration, I present this: The Probably Not Completely Wrong™ guide to itemization, featuring my best efforts at figuring out what the devil absolutely everyone wants to wear.

I give it fifteen minutes before someone tells me there was another one around here the whole time.

With the expansion drawing to a close and a boatload of new experience-boosted level 55s on the way thanks to the preorder bonus, it may well be too late for something like this. But since I hit 55 and failed to find an omnibus gearing guide a couple weeks ago, now's when I finished it. For your consideration, I present this: The Probably Not Completely Wrong™ guide to itemization, featuring my best efforts at figuring out what the devil absolutely everyone wants to wear.

I give it fifteen minutes before someone tells me there was another one around here the whole time.

Pretty nice write up you have there. I noticed when you looked at VG/PT crit requirements you put the maths section from my guide into it, which I feel honoured to have my work put in a gearing guide intended for everyone.

Oh and technically, all specs have to do maths depending on their gear level for optimal crit. Just most people who write the guides are lazy and can't be bothered figuring it out for every tier, so they only give the Dread Master's requirement :p

(Pizza'da'hutt's guide though, that has all levels specified from underworld up: ~120 for Underworld, ~200 for Kel Dragon, ~250 for Dread Forged, ~300 for Dread Masters)

Oh and technically, all specs have to do maths depending on their gear level for optimal crit. Just most people who write the guides are lazy and can't be bothered figuring it out for every tier, so they only give the Dread Master's requirement :p

I figured that would turn out to be the case. I tried to guess where I could, buuuuut that's pretty much all just guesswork.

I was happy I researched Vanguard | Powertech last, to be honest; I'd have been pretty bummed to have found your guide early and then discovered how many other classes didn't benefit from wisdom as well thought-out as yours. :D

I figured that would turn out to be the case. I tried to guess where I could, buuuuut that's pretty much all just guesswork.

I was happy I researched Vanguard | Powertech last, to be honest; I'd have been pretty bummed to have found your guide early and then discovered how many other classes didn't benefit from wisdom as well thought-out as yours. :D

I read through it again and I have a couple more things to note:

TANKS: The immunity and Sturdiness enhancements are only available up to the Mk 28 version of it (rating 156), with the exception of the 29x and 30x, which require PvP. After that, you have to use the Bastion or the Bulwark ones. the 156 rating ones are slightly worse than the 168 rating enhancements, so you can skip the 162s with them.

VANGUARD TANKS: They have self-heals based off their max HP, so in their case you can choose to use Commando Armorings/Barrels instead of Reflex options because its a choice of slightly more DPS or slightly more HPS-mitigation. I'd prefer HP for VGs while Power/Mainstat for Guardians + Shadows mainly for this reason (and technically shadows have a %-based self heal with overcharge saber, but the follow up heals-from-stance-procs uses bonus healing)

TANKS: The immunity and Sturdiness enhancements are only available up to the Mk 28 version of it (rating 156), with the exception of the 29x and 30x, which require PvP. After that, you have to use the Bastion or the Bulwark ones. the 156 rating ones are slightly worse than the 168 rating enhancements, so you can skip the 162s with them.

VANGUARD TANKS: They have self-heals based off their max HP, so in their case you can choose to use Commando Armorings/Barrels instead of Reflex options because its a choice of slightly more DPS or slightly more HPS-mitigation. I'd prefer HP for VGs while Power/Mainstat for Guardians + Shadows mainly for this reason (and technically shadows have a %-based self heal with overcharge saber, but the follow up heals-from-stance-procs uses bonus healing)

Good to know! I've updated accordingly. Thanks much!

Your guide is a very good read, thanks for sharing!

I'm a returning player who quit roughly 2 years ago (shortly after legacy went live, whenever that might've been...) and I see there have been some changes since then. I played an Operative healer back in the day and play a Sorc healer now. In your guide, you suggest the proc based relics FR and SA for all healers, listing Oofalong's analysis as your source. However, I feel that his comparison is strongly biased towards dps specs and I wonder if the significantly lower heals/second still cause enough procs to keep those relics top tier. Especially as a Sorc healer, I do like the reworked Alacrity rating a lot and in my opinion one proc based relic (FR) paired with an on demand Alacrity or Power boost for 30 seconds seems more preferable.

Another argument I'd make is that for healers, on demand boosts are typically more desirable than proc based boosts. Procs don't hit when you really need that extra boost, they do provide a statistical improvement to healing done over a long enough fight, but extra healing in a 'light' phase is a lot less useful than extra healing in a heal intesive phase. (thinking back to a time of proc based healing relics, the extra HoT was very likely to generate overhealing...)

I ran with a Boundless Ages relic for a while on my Operative healer. It was nice to have a little more on-demand power when the excrement passed near to the wind-moving device. It didn't turn out to be my cup of tea--the comparatively long cooldown kind of wrecked it for me, especially since I had another two two-minute cooldowns already--but your mileage may certainly vary. I'd definitely recommend Power over Alacrity in an on-demand relic, though; since it gives you a quantity of Rating rather than a static percentage boost like Polarity Shift does, it'll suffer from diminishing returns where Power won't. I don't recall how vile the curve is on Alacrity, but as a Sorcerer healer, you likely have a fair bit of it to begin with, so I'd hazard a guess that it won't be terribly gentle. I'll slip a Boundless Ages relic into the summary though; I'd actually meant to give it honourable mention billing all along!

The trick with uptime on the proc relics is that every tick of a HoT can proc it. You're not casting a heal every GCD, of course, but a well placed Revivification is good for a whole lot of ticks in a hurry. Even with only a couple Kolto Probes up (or in the case of a Sorc, regular Innervates and Resurgences), I've found the proc rate is rarely too far from optimal.

I'd definitely recommend Power over Alacrity in an on-demand relic, though; since it gives you a quantity of Rating rather than a static percentage boost like Polarity Shift does, it'll suffer from diminishing returns where Power won't. I don't recall how vile the curve is on Alacrity, but as a Sorcerer healer, you likely have a fair bit of it to begin with, so I'd hazard a guess that it won't be terribly gentle.

Unfortunately I don't know of any good source for the maths behind Alacrity's DR, but a quick run through the gear calculator from askmrrobot gave me the following numbers:

408 rating = 5.47% (0.0134 per point) as our base

+510 boost = 5.45% (0.0107 pp) as simulated relic boost

total 918 rating = 10.92% (0.0119 pp)

IF those numbers are somewhat accurate, the 510 boost gives roughly the same benefit as the original 408.

In comparison, 515 power result in ~87.5 bonus healing (again, according to this calculator).

Frankly, I've no clue how much of a healing boost that is. Assuming an unbuffed base healing of 1k, that would be an 8.75% increment in bonus healing. But 1% more bonus healing doesn't translate to 1% more healing output, afaik, since heals typically have a static portion of healing that is unaffected by the bonus (total heal = x + y * bonus healing).

The trick with uptime on the proc relics is that every tick of a HoT can proc it. You're not casting a heal every GCD, of course, but a well placed Revivification is good for a whole lot of ticks in a hurry. Even with only a couple Kolto Probes up (or in the case of a Sorc, regular Innervates and Resurgences), I've found the proc rate is rarely too far from optimal.

That is good to hear. In my experience, Sorc generates less healing ticks than Operative by a margin, but I wasn't sure if that would be an issue for relic uptime.

Edited by ManaKeKz
typo fixed

Unfortunately I don't know of any good source for the maths behind Alacrity's DR, but a quick run through the gear calculator from askmrrobot gave me the following numbers:

408 rating = 5.47% (0.0134 per point) as our base

+510 boost = 5.45% (0.0107 pp) as simulated relic boost

total 918 rating = 10.92% (0.0119 pp)

IF those numbers are somewhat accurate, the 510 boost gives roughly the same benefit as the original 408.

In comparison, 515 power result in ~87.5 bonus healing (again, according to this calculator).

Frankly, I've no clue how much of a healing boost that is. Assuming an unbuffed base healing of 1k, that would be an 8.75% increment in bonus healing. But 1% more bonus healing doesn't translate to 1% more healing output, afaik, since heals typically have a static portion of healing that is unaffected by the bonus (total heal = x + y * bonus healing).

As far as I can tell, those Alacrity numbers look about right. If so, that's a fair shot gentler than I gave it credit for.

I was able to find an enlightening graph here which was kind enough to plot the expected output of added Alacrity on abilities of various cast times. If we take, say, Dark Heal as an example, its 1.5s cast time--already reduced to 1.32s thanks to the ~400 base Alacrity--gets cut further down to ~1.19s. Of course, that's also a synonym for helping you run out of Force faster; when your cheapest spammable heal that benefits from Alacrity costs 55 Force, the modest regeneration bonus isn't going to make a sizeable dent in the consumption of sustained casting. Even if it did, assuming you were somehow able to spam Dark Heal for the whole 30s buff, you'd get 30 / 1.32 = ~23 casts normally, and 30 / 1.19 = ~26 casts buffed, so about one extra cast every ten seconds if you were spamming fast heals the whole time. Which you won't be.

The Power boost is a little more complicated. Oofalong dissects Power and output interactions with a focus on damage here; to sum up, the way Healing Bonus interacts with our casts is that it's multiplied by a coefficient--what the coefficient actually is depends on the ability in question--and controls the lion's share of what the green number comes out to be. The Ability Data tab of this spreadsheet offers the coefficients by which Healing Bonus is multiplied for a Sorcerer healer; they're largely pretty favourable (and if you're curious, the Min/MaxSHP values have to do with the base healing amount that isn't modified by Healing Bonus). To continue using Dark Heal for an example, it has a 2.13 coefficient; so if we take the ~87.5 Healing Bonus from a Boundless Ages relic, that leads us to expect ~186 more healing per cast, disregarding crits. Of course, the subjective value of that much extra healing depends entirely on how much it's already healing for. The Abilities - Current Gear tab suggests that again disregarding crits, we can expect Dark Heal to hit for 3960-4407, so we're looking at something on the order of 5% bigger Dark Heal casts. Power does also have the benefit of addressing all our abilities. Alacrity doesn't help HoTs tick any faster, for instance, whereas Power will help them tick a little harder; we can expect to see Resurgence tick for ~34 more, in addition to ~80 more initial healing.

With all that in mind, I guess the lesson to take home is that neither click Relic is really especially powerful. Not quite what I set out to discover, but good to know all the same!