Is it just me or is all the orange gear crappy?

Unpleasant

I thought the point of having mod-able gear was so that people could choose how they look. However, 9 times out of 10, the greens and blues I get look much better than the available orange gear. There's like hardly any of it and the pieces you do find are often straight up ugly. Given, I'm only level 34 (and a 28 alt) right now, so if that's the problem and I just need to wait a few more levels then fine, but as of now I don't really understand why this is the way it is.

You seem to be slacking with the tiers of upgrades. Each planet has a different tier of upgrades you can loot/buy. Make sure to keep your orange gear up to date -- if you neglect it; you'll find that it becomes under powered fast.

OP is talking about the look of the gear, not the functionality. Reading the post, and not just the title, is generally a good idea.

As for me- my favorite chest piece by far is the orange one I'm wearing now.

Tempered Terenthium Chestguard

Edited by iain_b

You seem to be slacking with the tiers of upgrades. Each planet has a different tier of upgrades you can loot/buy. Make sure to keep your orange gear up to date -- if you neglect it; you'll find that it becomes under powered fast.

Thread title mislead you. He is complaining about appearance, not stats.

My apologies. Makes this complaint invalid, then. Because each piece of orange gear is part of a set. If you don't like the set -- then move on.

The highlighted section is flat wrong. Orange simply means that it is fully customizable. Orange schematics are (supposedly) available for every look used on green items by way of schematics that are randomly acquired from Underworld Trading. There are many, many green items that are not a part of a full set.

The OP cannot be invalid. It is a matter of personal aesthetic preference. It doesn't matter if something is a part of a set or not, because if you don't like the look of the set, you don't like the look. That is what aesthetic preference is. That is why I am such a huge proponent of customization. That is why I find the current, primarily random customization system to be lacking. Random is not choice.

What is the reasons that they simply did not make all gear mod-able, so people can pick what ever gear they want to keep?

Stubbornness?

In reality, we will likely never know for sure. I suspect is has a lot to do with the concept of visual progression of gear. After all, visual progression was why they removed the unify color feature; it was working as intended, can't have that. By keeping the green/blue/purple tier concept, they have created an illusion of having visual progression, even if it isn't really there. I've been saying for months that a hybrid modable/non-modable system doesn't work; it tries to fill two roles and fails at both.