Crew Skills questions

MichaelPetterson

I got the game a few days ago,and I've just gotten my second companion and my starship. Anyways I put Biochem > Bioanalysis > Diplomacy on my droid and was planning to put Snythweaving,Treasure HUnting and Underworld Trading on my second one,but apparently I can't o that. I did read I could have 3 crew skills per companion,so am I missing something here,or did I mis-read the exact details on this?

You can have 3 crew skills per CHARACTER.

Each of your companions can then use those crew skills. In your case, Craft items through Biochem. Gather items through Bioanalysis (missions and world nodes) and gather Diplomacy materials through missions.

Your character can take up to 3 skills, of which at max 1 can be a crafting skill (the others have to be gathering skills or mission skills).

Once you have the skills on your character, then you send your companions to do the work (do missions, craft, gather mats) while you continue to enjoy the game (PVP, missions, etc). The companions do the work and return with the results, which get placed in your inventory automatically.

Your skills level up, too, if you send the companions to do the green, yellow, or orange jobs.

For your first character I would recommend taking 3 gathering skills (archeology, scavenging, bioanalysis), because you can gather mats and sell them on the GTN for credits. Can make 1 million by level 30 or so doing that.

Once you're rich, you can then switch to a crafting skill, but crafting skills require lots of mats so it will cost you something like 2 million in mats to level up the crafting skill.

Ok,thanks. I knew I was missing something. I guess having 3 skills per companion would be a bit too much. I was just hoping I could have each companion specialized in a specific area,so i could be essentially self-sufficient and craft most of what I need,as right now,medpacks on call are nice.I was hoping I could have my second and third companions crafting armour and weapons as well as the skills to get materials for leveling them. Edited by MichaelPetterson

Yeah, they don't make it THAT easy.

You can achieve self-sufficiency with 3 characters (Cybernetics creates armorings and mods, Artifice creates enhancements, and Biochem creates implants, medpacks, and buffs), but, again, you level up these crafting skills by repeatedly crafting (useless) recipes, first to increase your skill, then to "research" green recipes to blue to purple, so all of this crafting requires way more mats than you could possibly gather yourself, and as a result you spend several million credits for mats for each skill.

But once you have them, all you need is a few orange armor sets from the cartel market, unlocked for the entire account, and the orange off-hands (shields, foci, etc) that you can get with planetary commendations from Nar Shaddaa. So it's nice.

Until level 55, that is, at which point I believe the armorings, mods, and enhancements that drop in hard-mode operations are better than what can be crafted, so you will need to participate in raids or ranked PVP content to get better gear.

EDIT: Companion specialization does exist, because if a companion has 5% critical rate on some crafting skill, it noticeably increases the rate at which you get two items (or one better item) for no extra mats used. But it's a matter of researching (on the internet) the bonuses that the companions get, and then creating (for example) a Bounty Hunter for your Cybernetics because only Bounty Hunters get Mako as a companion and she has the 5% bonus to Cybernetics (my example is fake, but it's something like that).

Edited by Merouk

Just one more question,if you don't mind. IN here I was told that i'd need around 2 million credits before I started working on a crafting skill,which seems a lot to me right now,as Patience has never been one of my strong points. Could I make do with less than that,or would I run out of money?

I got the game a few days ago,and I've just gotten my second companion and my starship. Anyways I put Biochem > Bioanalysis > Diplomacy on my droid and was planning to put Snythweaving,Treasure HUnting and Underworld Trading on my second one,but apparently I can't o that. I did read I could have 3 crew skills per companion,so am I missing something here,or did I mis-read the exact details on this?

You can have any combo of crafting skills for a total of 3 skills on a character:

-up to one crafting skill

-up to 3 gathering

-up to 3 mission skills

Just one more question,if you don't mind. IN here I was told that i'd need around 2 million credits before I started working on a crafting skill,which seems a lot to me right now,as Patience has never been one of my strong points. Could I make do with less than that,or would I run out of money?

You could start with less, if you are doing your own resource gathering. the only thing that would be costly will be the mission skills since you cant harvest those out in the wild.

Could I make do with less than that,or would I run out of money?

You can't be forced to spend anything, so you could pick your crafting skill right now, and craft with just the mats that you gather, not spend a cent. It's possible.

But, your crafting skill will be increased very slowly. Your character will be level 30, and your crafting skill will only be able to make stuff for level 20. Unless you spend like 1 day doing missions and leveling up, and 2-3 days just running around the area gathering materials to level up your crafting skill.

You don't need 2 million before you start; it just costs approximately 2 million to finish training it to skill level 400. You can start right now, with no money. The mats you gather and don't sell (because you use them to level your crafting skill) will have a total value of approx. 2 million, when you're done.

Edited by Merouk

With the highlighted in mind, crafting may not be for you...right now. Crafting is an investment that will not reap many rewards unless you have patience.

If we are talking about your very first character my advice is to not choose a crafting skill at this time: choose two gathering skills (of archaeology, bioanalysis, and scavenging), and take slicing. If you do indeed wish to eventually craft then choose a gathering skill that will feed that crafting skill and save those materials. Sell the materials you gather from the other gathering skill, and use slicing to gather nodes and run lockbox missions. This will generate a steady income of credits.

Then when you get that character to level 50+ drop the other gathering skill and slicing and take up the crafting skill and the mission skill that feeds that crafting skill. With a maximum number of companions, leveling new skills will be fast and you will have the credits to spend on whatever is needed to do so.

As Merouk points out, if you craft solely on what you gather while you level, your crafting skill will lag behind your character level. This means that what you craft will have little use to you. With patience being an issue, taking time to "farm" materials is likely not something you'd be willing/able to do for enough time.

The alternative is to run missions to keep your materials skills and by extension your crafting skill at or slightly above your character's level. While this would produce items that would be useful to your character, it takes credits to run missions...credits that you might find in short supply at inopportune moments (i.e. you just leveled and you do not have enough credits to train all the new abilities you would get).

Just as an additional note, I'm super new, but I am patient and never read that I would need 2M to finish a crafting skill so I just started doing it (Artificing). I'm over 400 now and approaching 450 and the only credits I have spent are in acquiring recipes (schematics?) from the crew vendor. So, is it just that you need 2M if you don't want to farm the mats yourselves, or is there some kind of upcoming expense that I will need once I get to 450 that I haven't seen yet?

I've also made a tidy sum selling off the mats I don't need anymore once I've reached another tier of crafting, so it's actually been a net gain overall in credits.