Please introduce dual spec ASAP

Ultrazen

It follows logically. It has been done in every AAA mmo ever. Its ok bud if you want to stick your head in the sand.

This is a case of "Because it's in WoW, it has to be in SWTOR".

The reason I am playing this game is because I don't want to play WoW.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. *points to skill training, speeders, etc.*

That said, a free respec once per week or something would potentially be useful here too. Not quite the same as dual spec, but it at least lets people try out different builds without getting stuck in something subpar.

Umm we already have this.

But yeah by adding a dual spec would make the game easier. It would take alot of the raid encounters pre-thinking part out of the game. Basically with dual-specing its mainly allowing you to be prepared for anything which does make it easier.

Now in world PVP (if they ever do put in dual spec) I can see people on the boards complaining because they were jumped while in pve tank mode and if they were allowed to switch over to their PVP spec in the middle of the fight..they would of won. So Bioware needs to fix dual specs so it can be used while in combat.

It follows logically. It has been done in every AAA mmo ever. Its ok bud if you want to stick your head in the sand.

No, it hasn't. I've played EQ, EQOA, EQ2, FFXI, FFXIV, GW, WoW, Aion, and Rift. It's ok that your argument of wanting it for your "guild raids" and to be totally selfless has been discredited. You can continue to hide behind that facade.

This is a case of "Because it's in WoW, it has to be in SWTOR".

The reason I am playing this game is because I don't want to play WoW.

That is not the case, I have already outlined how its foundational, which means the issue is that to create variable encounters with tight tuning means players need to be able to alter spec to achieve challenging content. Hurdles to respec just offer frustration for any game that shares these elements, of which SWTOR is most certainly one.

No, it hasn't. I've played EQ, EQOA, EQ2, FFXI, FFXIV, GW, WoW, Aion, and Rift. It's ok that your argument of wanting it for your "guild raids" and to be totally selfless has been discredited. You can continue to hide behind that facade.

The problems of players not being setup for the given encounter was in EACH of those games you listed.

Edited by Xzulld

Come on now, it is perfectly logical to believe his rantings because he has claimed them to be logical. Logically he must be a master of logic to use logic as much as he logically uses it. :D

Come on now, it is perfectly logical to believe his rantings because he has claimed them to be logical. Logically he must be a master of logic to use logic as much as he logically uses it. :D

Logical logical logical foundational foundational logical foundational logical.

Post of the year?

Back on topic....

Make Dual-Spec a payment option. You pay $25 dollars and you get the option. Then we'll see how much you "want" it.

Looking for healer, and tank problems happen because people do not want to heal or tank.

We could have 10 specs, and if someone does not want to heal, that isnt going to change their mind. The extra specs will be used for other stuff if used at all.

The dual spec idea is about having one spec for doing PvE, and one for PvP.

Or having one for DPS, and one for healing.

If people would use them as intended, that would be one thing. But they wont.

Take WoW for example. The idea behind dual spec there was the one for PvE, one for PvP

so people could switch easy.

But what happened? They have people using both specs for the same roll and saying "if I had a 3rd spec, I would tank/heal".

I would say if they want to give us dual specs. make the second one usable in Warfronts

only making it very clear what its intended use is.

If they give us dual specs to use however we want. Make it very clear that there will not

be a third.

First, respec costs, particularly scaling ones, will minimize people swapping roles (hence increasing in-game immersion).

No one said respec shouldn't have a cost, even a high cost. Scaling costs WITH NO CAP, however, seems a little much. Even if you respec very rarely, if you stick with the game long enough, the current system will eventually lead to you not being able to afford respeccing ever again. Or is your position that all talent choices should be permanent?

My fear/expectation is that if/when dual spec is introduced people will just start moaning about getting triple-spec, it happened in WoW and it will happen here.

That being said I wouldn't mind having dual spec but I wouldn't complain if they stick to 1 spec.

No one said respec shouldn't have a cost, even a high cost. Scaling costs WITH NO CAP, however, seems a little much. Even if you respec very rarely, if you stick with the game long enough, the current system will eventually lead to you not being able to afford respeccing ever again. Or is your position that all talent choices should be permanent?

You weren't reading my comment in the context in which it was written. That comment was a response to someone else's statement that my complaint about in-game immersion being ruined by dual spec wasn't justified because you can already reset your points. My counter argument was that since respeccing is done less, due to the increasing costs that people aren't able to afford, it has a smaller impact on in-game immersion.

I realize that sometimes people make small errors in their character progression (talent trees in this case). When I played my first MMO on the PS2 (EQOA) I thought a character was supposed to be "balanced" so the first several levels I put points in very odd places - including strength - on a wizard! I just kept on playing until a considerable time later when they allowed a point reallocation much later.

Edited by Airinya

What is fun is that dual spec is on its way, the devs have already made the announcement and they support the idea.

Sorry to all you guys out there frothing at the mouth over this issue, your irrational blather will not dissuade the devs of SWTOR from adding good features like this one.

As long as you can't change your AC, I'm okay for dual-spec.

Agree, I can live with this but the game is not hard regardless of which spec you pick because of companions. KHEM VAL is a beast for SI....

Edited by Asturias

What is fun is that dual spec is on its way, the devs have already made the announcement and they support the idea.

Sorry to all you guys out there frothing at the mouth over this issue, your irrational blather will not dissuade the devs of SWTOR from adding good features like this one.

That's ok, hopefully by that time GW2 will be out and, if they choose to make this game into WoWSpace, I'll just migrate there. :)

Take WoW for example. The idea behind dual spec there was the one for PvE, one for PvP

so people could switch easy.

where do you get that bull**** from?

dual specc was introduced because raid encounters where so different from one boss to another, that you needed 3 tanks and 7 healers and 15 dps for one boss and 2 tanks 5 healers and 18 dps for the boss right afterwards

ofc it can also be used to have a pve/pvp specc, nobody is saying anything against that.

i dont mind tanking, or healing or dpsing. but leveling up, specially in swtor where you are alone most of the time leveling (and specially on my server where i am ALONE on most planets) is a pain in the ***. been there, done that. ergo i level up as dps.

i would not mind respeccing to healer (which as mercenary i can) when people needs one, but as there is no dualspecc system, i don't.

and remember, a dualspecc system is not just about having your different talents stored on the server, it's also about the keybinding and quickbar config.

otherwise, even if i was willing to "normally" resepcc to healer for just one flashpoint, i would have to spend 10 minutes just setting up my new quickbars/skills and hotkeys.

You weren't reading my comment in the context in which it was written. That comment was a response to someone else's statement that my complaint about in-game immersion being ruined by dual spec wasn't justified because you can already reset your points. My counter argument was that since respeccing is done less, due to the increasing costs that people aren't able to afford, it has a smaller impact on in-game immersion.

Sorry. It gets hard to keep up with context in a thread this long, that's my bad. I agree that infrequent respeccing is a desirable goal, but the scaling costs seem too harsh. Not that dual spec is the only possible solution to this - having respec cost reset after some period of time, or have it be a flat, high cost would both work well IMO.

That's ok, hopefully by that time GW2 will be out and, if they choose to make this game into WoWSpace, I'll just migrate there. :)

Ahhhh now we see . . . if it has anything to do with wow, you raaaaage. Gotcha. Well wow has gear, this game has gear, we should remove gear from this game so its not like wow.

WOW hater is your only reason for trolling this thread.

You "want" to do a warzone. Keyword there. "Want" If you want to do a warzone you should go respec. You don't NEED a pvp spec. You just "want" one.
meh, you want the client to work so that you can log into the game. you don't NEED the game client to work so that you can log into the game.

getting caught up over a word like that is silly.

where do you get that bull**** from?

dual specc was introduced because raid encounters where so different from one boss to another, that you needed 3 tanks and 7 healers and 15 dps for one boss and 2 tanks 5 healers and 18 dps for the boss right afterwards

ofc it can also be used to have a pve/pvp specc, nobody is saying anything against that.

i dont mind tanking, or healing or dpsing. but leveling up, specially in swtor where you are alone most of the time leveling (and specially on my server where i am ALONE on most planets) is a pain in the ***. been there, done that. ergo i level up as dps.

i would not mind respeccing to healer (which as mercenary i can) when people needs one, but as there is no dualspecc system, i don't.

and remember, a dualspecc system is not just about having your different talents stored on the server, it's also about the keybinding and quickbar config.

otherwise, even if i was willing to "normally" resepcc to healer for just one flashpoint, i would have to spend 10 minutes just setting up my new quickbars/skills and hotkeys.

Dude, you are not alone at all in this game. Your companion provides the lack of what your character is missing. L2P....

The problems of players not being setup for the given encounter was in EACH of those games you listed.

No it wasn't. Rift allows up to 5 roles. You can switch specs any time you are not in combat. That was actually one of the only good things about Rift -- the soul and spec versatility. Each class has 9 souls and you can mix any 3 together and spend 66 points in the soul tree. Yeah, balancing is a b*tch with constant nerfs and buffs, but I still prefer having that versatility over being stuck with one spec forever.

Seriously, are we supposed to run to the trainer, spend tons of credits, and take a few minutes to respec each time we want to do warzones? How about when we're doing warzones and suddenly want to do a flashpoint? Well, we have to go back to the trainer and spend even MORE money this time to respec.

Some guy earlier in the thread basically said I shouldn't PvP at all, or if I do, I should be content with using a leveling/PvE spec. Sorry, I just don't see the logic in this and I fail to see how having multiple specs breaks the community or whatever silly argument you people are putting forward.

I mean in Rift I knew everyone on my server. I knew so-in-so was a mage even though he ran different specs at different times. He didn't suddenly become a warrior because he could switch specs. I am not following the "breaks the immersion of the game" argument at all. What does that even mean?