A plea to bioware regarding color deficiency...

I am red-green color deficient and this affects my ability to tell colors that are close to each other apart. Two specific in-game areas I have trouble telling color:

TfB Operator IX

GSF ship health monitor

Operator IX is one of the biggest issues I have; I can't tell the orange and yellow apart, nor can I tell the blue and purple apart. This makes HM TfB nearly impossible since I have less than 3 seconds to ID where I need to stand during the final stage of the fight. May I suggest using White, Red, Blue, and Yellow? Those colors are different enough that I could tell them apart or choose one that I can definitely ID (blue looks nothing like the other three, neither does white)!

Additionally, in GSF, I have a hard time telling when my ship's hull is orange vs. green. Again, a simple color change would be fantastic. Yes, I understand that the trend is Green is good and Red is bad, but why not have the option to change this so I can tell when I am partially dead vs. wholly alive?

I don't have much programming experience, so please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it would be too difficult to change some colors around?

Thank you,

A sad, color deficient SWTOR player :'(

I would think graphics driver developer can contribute greatly in this area. Have a color blind mode that maps certain input colors to different ones actually displayed. Then it provides the fix for all games.

Quoting the following from another forum as example. You may like to try to change the graphics settings similar and see whether it helps. gl

Open NVIDIA Control panel then under Display settings, go to the Adjust desktop color settings tab.

Under section 2. Choose how color is set, choose Use NVIDIA settings

For the color channels, set the blue color channel in the dropdown menu to 90% brightness, 60% contrast.

Set the red color channel to 50% brightness, 100% contrast

Set the green color channel to 100% brightness, 100% contrast.

In the next section 3. Apply the following enhancements, set the Digital vibrance to 60%.

I'm not sure, as i can't check ingame when writing this, but wan't there an option for those with a color deficiency already ingame? I know when TFB came out there were a couple topics about it, and i thought they added a specific option for that. Otherwide we'll have to necro some old posts to get the attention from the devs ;)

I feel your pain! I have the same problem. Operator IX is the absolute worst. I ask my guildies to help me if I don't find my color circle right off the bat. I sometimes even wear gear I know is the same kind of color so I can match it to the ground. Not the best idea, but hopefully it helps?

I am also red/green colour deficient. There are several varieties of that problem, and I personally don't have an impossible time with Operator IX, but I have to concentrate on colour recognition for sure. (Just wait until you do nightmare mode where standing in the wrong colour circle is an instant one-shot to the entire team!)

One thing to be aware of when suggesting alternative colour schemes is that there are also other varieties of colour deficiency/blindness. It's pretty rare, but certain people have trouble with distinctions between blue and yellow.

My suggestion to the Developers is to also add a pattern, symbol or animation to ground areas that need to be distinguished from each other rather than only relying on colours. For example, a redesigned Operator IX fight could have a triangle pattern on the blue circles, a square pattern on the purple ones, a circle for the orange ones and a star for the yellow ones (or any type of distinction, it doesn't have to be shapes.)

There is one fight in the game where an identification scheme apart from colours has already been implemented. Colonel Vorgath's minefield in Explosive Conflict is where I personally have the roughest time with colour distinctions; red, yellow/orange (See? I don't even know what colour they are suppose to be) and green squares. However, what saves me from constantly blowing myself up is the fact that each of those three colours of squares also has a distinct pulsing glow animation associated with it. Red squares pulse from the middle outwards, as though they are trying to push you away. Yellow/orange squares have no pulse pattern and are neutral. Once a square turns green, the pulsing moves from the outside edges towards the middle to beckon players in. It is a great design and works flawlessly. I never have to follow other players or ask someone else to identify squares for me. I just look at the animations on the squares and waltz through the minefield on my own.

For "colour-critical" fights in the future, I encourage the Developers to reference Colonel Vorgath's minefield for how to design as inclusively as possible for the entire player-base.

Edited by Levram

Oops I did mean to say NiM, not HM. But yes, I acknowledge that there are other forms of deficiency and would be fine with any kind of implementation, whether it be an animation or pattern, which would fix those kind of issues. Hopefully somebody actually pays attention to this...

I have been through every setting of SWTOR multiple times in the past couple of years. There is definitely no colour adjustment settings of any sort.

The most you can adjust in-game is the quality of the shaders and shadows that are used. They definitely have a strong visual impact, but generally have no impact on colour distinctions.

I checked ingame yesterday and no setting was there, although i do remember a number of topics being posted at the time TFB came out about the issue, maybe it was a suggestion made back then, i don't remember, but i really thought they did add something ingame to make it easier for colorblind people.

I'll have to scavenge through the dev tracker to find it, as i do know a 'yellow' answer was given in those topics.