Please add night/day to strongholds

Velarax

Hm...

Without NPCs and the environment actually reacting on day and night, it would just bee the visuals.

What better view in the whole franchise than Tatooine's Binary Sunset? (Hands down, Darth Talon doesn't count)

Nar Shaddaa's smog and business make it hard to even tell whether it's night or day.

Coruscant would be just as busy at night, all that would change is the color of the sky

Dromund Kaas changes from gloomy and rainy to dark and rainy?

have it run off server time, real time day night cycles would be sexy!

And then Europe will always play in the galaxy's afternoon, and APAC always in the morning, because face it, the whole galaxy uses PDT.

Edited by Mubrak

I had assumed server time was relative to timezone. Am I wrong? As in a European server would run on their time scale so the clock reads something meaningful?

If this is the case then my original statement needs no modification, I never said the world had to run on PDT :rolleyes:

And yes your correct, the effect might be minimal for some strongholds, but I think it would be a cool immersion factor. Here's a stretch maybe on DK it stops raining at night, or perhaps the smog clears on Nar Shadaa making for breathtaking city scapes.

Edited by DamascusAdontise

I had assumed server time was relative to timezone. Am I wrong? As in a European server would run on their time scale so the clock reads something meaningful?

The clock on your minimap is your computer's time, my statement about the galaxy running on PDT was just a potshot on the maintenance times (11am - 4pm for europe, 7pm - 0am for apac).

If this is the case then my original statement needs no modification, I never said the world had to run on PDT :rolleyes:

For the EU it isn't that much of an issue, all EU servers are in ireland. Servertime would be behind one hour for the majority of EU players. Players from eastern europe would have the same issue as, say, someone from New York playing on the Harbinger. Should they see the twin sunset at 7 pm local time or 10 pm?

APAC would again come out on the short end, pangalactic day time (aka PDT :p) would be completely off. Same for European payers playing on US servers and vice versa, but at least they have an alternative.

Day/Night-cycles always sound like a great idea at a first glance but they are pointless fluff if they have no effect (honest folks going to sleep, shady scum crawling out of their hideouts) and can be outright annoying if they do have effect (having to wait for the merchant to open his shop, or the questgiver to crawl out of his bed.)

Even if it's just about beautiful fluff, when extended to real time, it's just boring to slowly see the lights go out, and the smog clear or blinking into the afternoon suns, waiting for the sunset. I'd rather have a switch that lets me chose the time of day in my stronghold, because I don't think I'm the only one who won't sit down in a game and wait for an hour or two IRL to see how the environment changes. (and even those that would, would do it once per SH, maybe twice to record a video and put it on youtube so less patient people can fast-forward)

Instead of having functional day-night cycles with schedules for NPCs and wildlife, many developers use weather and time of day to convey a certain atmosphere for a place, this is what was done in SWTOR, a bright day on Dromund Kaas would just disturb the feeling of the place, Balmora / Taris take the concept a step further, creating a whole different atmosphere for the same planet, depending on whether you're imp or pub.

Edited by Mubrak

There's actually a lore reason why there's all rain all the time on DK...

The Lore: Dromund Kaas' atmosphere was also heavily charged with electricity to the point that lightning was a near-constant sight in the almost perpetually clouded sky; a result of the Sith Emperor's experiments in arcane and forbidden uses of the dark side of the Force.[5]

Now here is the thing, it isn't always pouring in DK but it is always pouring at your SH. They need to change the weather up, sometimes just clouds with mist, sometimes Tstorms so bad you think the SH will shake, not just endless pouring rain.

I think if there were to be time and environmental options for Strongholds, you should be able to manually change them rather than it happening automatically in real time, it gives a more custom and unique feel to the place. Personally, I don't think strongholds should have been set on certain planets. Each stronghold should have started in a generic place with outside basic scenery and you should have been able to get themes for the stronghold which would make both the inside and outside different. For example, one theme could be the Coruscant strong hold with a Hoth environment outside, this would change the interior of the stronghold to be more like the rebel base from Empire strikes back. Another example would be the Tatooine stronghold with a ancient Sith dig site theme to it. Something else they need to put it in ambient sounds, for example, the loud speaker of the woman speaking when you enter a space port, even when it comes to personnel actually speaking. Edited by CptErskine

Screw real time! We're talking about four different planets in a galaxy, each with their own length days, seasons, how long the sun it up during the day, etc! It'd be pretty cool to use each planet's own times IMO, and personally I don't see a point in implementing day/night unless it's realistic to the planet.

Tatooine - 23 standard hours

DK - 24 SH

Coru - 24 SH

Nar - 87 SH

Would be really cool to have the long days and nights of Nar especially. Even though it's so bright there either way, it would be a nice, subtle change to log into.

Edited by FrozenGoalie

• 5 months later...

Problem with choosing this by yourself is that all Dromund Kaas SH are in same instance, so I'm thinking when you turn on the "day" switch, it will turn on the "day" switch for all DK strongholds.

Not sure if this will happen, thou, But a night/day difference of some sort would be awsome!

Yeah, anyone who played SWG will remember the day night cycles on that game. They really made the difference to the vast open world planets on there, really added atmosphere and a sense of the passage of time etc.

I would love to see it implemented in SWTOR, even if it is just in the strongholds!