Just a conversation about companions.

BlackEyeArtistry

I am currently leveling for the first time the bounty hunter class and for some reason companion continuity has really come up for me in this particular class. I really have enjoyed the class, and I think the story is interesting and amusing. However I get hung up somewhat on the companions for this class because it has some of the best personalities and some of the worst all wrapped up in 5 companions.

It seems like the personalities I like the most are on classes I use the least. For example I find Gaults sarcasm and affection gained from my choices fit really well with my impressions of how a bounty hunter would behave. Kind of in the gray area not dark and not light. Gault of course is purely dps and matched with mine lead to a fair amount of post fight healing.

In contrast Mako who has been with me from the beginning does not seem to care for the bounty hunter life, often times giving me negative rep for actually killing my bounties. Of course as fate would have it I need to use her the most when soloing. Plus she as this crazy mental break down on you in the second chapter . Like its my fault she chose to tag along with me.

Blizz. Blizz is by far my most favorite companion that I have ever had out of all my classes. He takes nearly all companion gifts and his personality is fun and upbeat. The only downside to Blizz is that his abilities as an off tank are not as useful as Mako.

Torian is for me completely dull, his abilities are ho hum, and is story line is boring. I never use him

Skadge. On what green earth would anybody actually want this guy to share a ship with them. Sure he is full dark side, but it wouldn't be long before he drove the rest of my crew away. And of course he is the primary tank.

In a perfect world I be able to assign my favorite companions with the most useful abilities. In a second I would drop 1000 cartel coins to have Blizz be my healer. So these are some of my thoughts on companions, which ones do you love and hate? And why?

This seems more "Story and Lore" then "General Discussion"... but ignoring my prior words, you'll find most everyone has their own preferred likes and dislikes for companions, as well as grumbling about using certain companions for roles.

Be honest, how many Sith Warriors honest WANT to be running around with Quinn?

]I am currently leveling for the first time the bounty hunter class and for some reason companion continuity has really come up for me in this particular class. I really have enjoyed the class, and I think the story is interesting and amusing. However I get hung up somewhat on the companions for this class because it has some of the best personalities and some of the worst all wrapped up in 5 companions.

First off, glad you're enjoying it. I also enjoyed as far as I got in it before switching servers, and I intend to come back to it one day.

I don't think the problem you're having was done on purpose, if it makes you feel any better. I like Mako, but as a healing merc, I had no use for her, while Gault got on my nerves. I also love Torian, am indifferent to Blizz, and didn't get far enough to meet Skadge, though I'd tend to think I wouldn't like him. Also, Blizz is a ranged tank who as far as I know should work as well as Corso or 4X or any of the other ranged tanks in the game. I think they just assign it based on personality, since just about anything could conceivably be used by one possible playstyle of the class.

The poster above me is also correct. As far as I've found, the game is soloable with any combination of character and companion except identical roles (damage/damage, tank/tank, etc.), though some are more difficult than others.

In a perfect world I be able to assign my favorite companions with the most useful abilities. In a second I would drop 1000 cartel coins to have Blizz be my healer. So these are some of my thoughts on companions, which ones do you love and hate? And why?

That being said, this would be fun. Kind of lore-breaking in a way (why would Khem Val be a healer, exactly?), but from a gameplay perspective, I'd love it.

I am currently leveling for the first time the bounty hunter class and for some reason companion continuity has really come up for me in this particular class. I really have enjoyed the class, and I think the story is interesting and amusing. However I get hung up somewhat on the companions for this class because it has some of the best personalities and some of the worst all wrapped up in 5 companions.

It seems like the personalities I like the most are on classes I use the least. For example I find Gaults sarcasm and affection gained from my choices fit really well with my impressions of how a bounty hunter would behave. Kind of in the gray area not dark and not light. Gault of course is purely dps and matched with mine lead to a fair amount of post fight healing.

In contrast Mako who has been with me from the beginning does not seem to care for the bounty hunter life, often times giving me negative rep for actually killing my bounties. Of course as fate would have it I need to use her the most when soloing. Plus she as this crazy mental break down on you in the second chapter . Like its my fault she chose to tag along with me.

Blizz. Blizz is by far my most favorite companion that I have ever had out of all my classes. He takes nearly all companion gifts and his personality is fun and upbeat. The only downside to Blizz is that his abilities as an off tank are not as useful as Mako.

Torian is for me completely dull, his abilities are ho hum, and is story line is boring. I never use him

Skadge. On what green earth would anybody actually want this guy to share a ship with them. Sure he is full dark side, but it wouldn't be long before he drove the rest of my crew away. And of course he is the primary tank.

TL;DR, but: (1) why don't you run with the companion you like most and feel in sync with?; (2) why don't you get all your companions to max affection using gifts and/or the Belsavis dailies? (3) why don't you accept the fact that different NPCs have different personalities?

BH is the most fun class to roll. It's strong and opinionated, it has a great crew, the companions are easy to gear (hell, aim gear for everybody save Mako? I mean, only the rotten trooper class has it easier). If you whine about BH, you're probably playing the wrong game...

First off, glad you're enjoying it. I also enjoyed as far as I got in it before switching servers, and I intend to come back to it one day.

I don't think the problem you're having was done on purpose, if it makes you feel any better. I like Mako, but as a healing merc, I had no use for her, while Gault got on my nerves. I also love Torian, am indifferent to Blizz, and didn't get far enough to meet Skadge, though I'd tend to think I wouldn't like him. Also, Blizz is a ranged tank who as far as I know should work as well as Corso or 4X or any of the other ranged tanks in the game. I think they just assign it based on personality, since just about anything could conceivably be used by one possible playstyle of the class.

The poster above me is also correct. As far as I've found, the game is soloable with any combination of character and companion except identical roles (damage/damage, tank/tank, etc.), though some are more difficult than others.

That being said, this would be fun. Kind of lore-breaking in a way (why would Khem Val be a healer, exactly?), but from a gameplay perspective, I'd love it.

I don't think there's anyone that actually likes Skadge. Okay, there is probably someone, but it's one of those one in a million people. :p

I like Mako, but then again my first BH was Lightside, which meant they got along great. I used her on my DS BH as well, at which point I made it my life's work to get on her nerves every chance I got.

These days I often decide ahead of time which companion I'll be going with most of the time when I roll a new alt.

My new Merc for example always takes Torian along with her, and she's a heal spec Merc, so it works pretty well.

Of course, that doesn't really help you if you're new. I've also done the DPS spec with a DPS companion, and eventually only summoned them for the class story parts, because I spent WAY too much time resting in-between fights (Sentinel + Kira and Marauder + Jaesa/Vette btw).

I can really only agree with others, we have different opinions.

I found Gault annoying and less grey than you, I wouldn't call him evil but as a BH and if you take any aspect of professionalism/honor per the Mandalorian aspect of your story seriously Gault frowns on all that for just making money IE he's a filthy smuggler/crook. IMO BH should have more 'honor' than Gault or seemingly you think they should, IE I don't see them as contract killers/hitman although that is a completely viable playstyle I see them more as extra law enforcement on a private basis.

Mako takes that honor/professionalism thing seriously except when it is personal so for the most part while you get paid dead or alive she isn't into killing people just for fun. And her 'meltdown' is kind of justified if you put yourself in your and her position in the story. I used her for leveling and until I had better gear and mastery of my rotations as well as on the really tough heroics I can't solo dps through.

Blizz is fun but just not useful to me as a DPS. I use him mostly for wiping out achievements of kill 500/1000 of this or that now and then. I liked his story and it's almost as entertaining as Treek's origin.

Torian is my most used DPS just because he takes my gear and puts down fools like a machine. I only hate he's melee so he's slower than me. And since I think the honor/mandalorian BH 'good guy' POV makes sense I found his story fitting.

Skadge is fun just to watch him tossing around wimps, same as blizz only used for achievement wipeout runs. He's a big PIA for affection I had to buy it almost completely. I could see if you were dark how having a thug like him around might work for you, he'll be happy to kill people all day long. He wouldn't drive your crew away as long as the captain(you) kept him in check.

Treek I don't use much, kinda the same as skadge/blizz just bc I got her late and haven't geared her. Also I have mako in great gear so I'm not about to strip torian my best geared dps to have a 2nd healer/tank I don't need

HK-51 Haven't used much, again got him late compared to others I haven't bothered to fully gear him. He and gault are kind of 'slow' with their sniping, powerful but I have to direct them onto people and leave them there while I 'focus' on one at a time. Well I do that get one down while they are on the same guy, open up some aoe and I finish off their targets. So letting torian run around as I do that is just as good if not better and he's got heavy armor that's higher rated than theirs bc it came off me.

you absolutely do NOT need a healer to level 1-50(55)....My very first character, back at launch, was a Jedi Knight and I NEVER used Doc (maybe once or twice) and did just fine. And that was as noob as noob could be.

But you can just run with the companion you want..sure you may have more downtime (which is almost nothing in this game anyway)..but there's no reason you can't, at all.

Especially once you start wracking up presence.

This seems more "Story and Lore" then "General Discussion"... but ignoring my prior words, you'll find most everyone has their own preferred likes and dislikes for companions, as well as grumbling about using certain companions for roles.

Keep your friends close

and your enemies closer.

*winces* Skadge... Skadge... *mimes mounting a head on her wall*

I despise and loathe him. Only used him to tromp the story mode low level flashpoints I skipped until I was level 55, just for his kill count achievement, and to get those bonus series kills on record for their final stage fights.

Now, if he had said something about a grudge against Nem'ro, I would have been more willing to let him on my ship. I remember what that slug tried to pull. The Sponsorship was MINE. And he tried to feed me to his pets. Now they decorate my walls.

But no, he points a weapon at me and threatens me. I am the Grand Champion of the Great Hunt, adopted daughter of Mand'alor, slayer of Jedi and traitors. Who is this piece of slime to think he can threaten me for a spot on my ship?

Mako's sweet but once I got Torian, I pretty much left her on the ship and healed myself. Torian was easier to gear than Gault or Mako. And her storyline was interesting, and kinda fun to watch and help with.

Torian, well, he likes toast. I like toast. He sounds like Batman when he says "Toast". He can wear my gear and be a boss, making fights go fast if I hang back and heal, drop missiles and heal some more. Except he's denser than iron to my flirts. Which are as subtle as anvils dropping on pianos.

Blizz, Blizz is fun. I don't use him, except to get the kill count achievement, but he's so sweet and fun. I love Blizz.

Gault's lucky I recruited him before CH 2. Or else I would have just killed him. I hate his whining, but his sense of humor is pretty dry and great.

Those are just the BH companions.

Dislike Corso as either M! Or F! Smuggler, I'm sorry, not all ladies are good guys. Not all of them need your protection either.

I like most of my comps though. Very few really get under my skin an annoy me.

Mako is one of the best healing companions in the game and the easiest to level with. Her attitude and story make a lot more sense if you're LS, but she's rather frustrating if you're DS. It's a big advantage to get a good healing companion so early on and she remains a top choice right through to endgame.

Gault isn't much use. He just doesn't do sufficient dps. I think it's because his cast times are rather long, so stuff tends to die before he gets his big shots off. He's worth running some quests with just for the quips though.

Blizz is adorable. But he's not the best tank (he suffers from the same problems all the ranged tank companions have) and doesn't do a whole lot of damage in his dps stance. Viable, but not exceptional.

Torian is dull dull dull. But he does do decent damage. If you don't need a tank or healer, he's a good choice, if you can put up with him.

Skadge just needs to be put out the airlock .... period.

Treek is probably the best companion for BH, if you can stand her spam. A great tank - self heals and aoe threat that doesn't break crowd control. And she makes a good healer if you need an alternative to Mako. Of course Treek has no class story conversations, but you can always swap her out for those.

HK-51 is always a good choice if you have him unlocked.

Personally I tend to run with Treek as tank on my dps Merc. She keeps the mobs off me and eats all the crowd control, which means I get to do more dps. If I run with a healer I get interupted a lot more. On my dps Powertech I use a healer - either Mako or Treek.

Yea, everyone has its own favorites.

Apart from any usefulness depending on his class, I really hate Gault. The way you get him was, for me, the worst point in the otherwise great storyline of the BH. Gault was a target, and I intended to play my BH to always get the target - and not just a lame copy of the target. The whole story of how Gault joins the BH'S troop is a big, big no-go from my point of view, and the fact that there is no option to not take part in his fraud but instead blast him to pieces and cash in the bounty for the real target is a big mistake from my point of view. There should be an option, followed by an alternative storyline where you get some other companion to fill in Gaults role.

The problem with all the companions is you're locked into them by the storyline. Every class has at least 1 or 2 companions that honestly can't fit with the others...what possible rationale is there for having both Skadge and Mako? One or the other would leave (or get killed I guess). Look at the agent...Kaliyo and Lokin? Kaliyo and Temple? Vector and anybody? The Republic side has the same issues....which trooper honestly would have both Elara and Vic at the same time? Fortunately, at this point in the game, companions are basically window dressing, but back going through the class quests the first time, they were a big disappointment for me. So much wasted potential.

Yea, everyone has its own favorites.

Apart from any usefulness depending on his class, I really hate Gault. The way you get him was, for me, the worst point in the otherwise great storyline of the BH. Gault was a target, and I intended to play my BH to always get the target - and not just a lame copy of the target. The whole story of how Gault joins the BH'S troop is a big, big no-go from my point of view, and the fact that there is no option to not take part in his fraud but instead blast him to pieces and cash in the bounty for the real target is a big mistake from my point of view. There should be an option, followed by an alternative storyline where you get some other companion to fill in Gaults role.

I think there used to be an option to refuse him. But as with the SW killing their healers and complaining that they actually killed the healer, it was removed. Along with the spacing option, I heard.

Yup, from my understanding that emergency escape pod was to essentially space the companion you couldn't stand anymore.

*Tries to kick Skadge into it anyway.*

Torian, well, he likes toast. I like toast. He sounds like Batman when he says "Toast". He can wear my gear and be a boss, making fights go fast if I hang back and heal, drop missiles and heal some more. Except he's denser than iron to my flirts. Which are as subtle as anvils dropping on pianos.

LOL! That pretty much sums up my experience with Torian when I made my healer merc. Especially the last part, since my girl hit on him shamelessly. :p

In BH crew I saw so far, I liked Gault the most.

Normally, I run with every companion I have for a while. So, here is a smatterings of things what I have done, if I could do anything I wanted:

1. Romances for Zenith, Pierce, Gault and Scourge. SGR for Quinn

2. Nautolan option for Guss Tuno, Twilek for Riggs, Zabrack for Pierce, Chiss for Quinn, Sith for Kira, Togruta for Doc OR Flexible Companion Customization System

3. Healer specializations for Pierce, Akaavi, and M1-X4 (so far; ideally, any companion could be trained as a healer)

4. A companion (ANY companion) that comes between Hutta and Alderaan for IA.

-raises hand- I play Maras, and Treek never shuts up! Plus Quinns eye-candy ^_~

Skadge is useful to dress in a pink loincloth to run around on the fleet to annoy the guys who dress their "female" toons and companions as h°°kers :p (the complaints via tell and in general chat are hilarious)

Edited by XiamaraSimi