Spammer using Malicious Site

JadenStar

fyi, yesterday (9-25 thu) at 7:35am a spammer was removed after the 1st post of chat spam. another player also stated that they were a scammer and/or malicious site

when chat like that comes up and players use those sites because BW/EA refuse to permanently ban their IP/DNS/ISP. then EA/BW becomes liable for damages" when players do get their computers compromised.

The fact that BW/EA has done vary little to remove the spammer/credit farmers/ credit seller, it make you want to think if they are thinking of the safety of the players and there computers from the possible threat of spammer/credit farmers/credit sellers causing real trouble internally while in game.

May the Force be with you......

1: It is commonly known that gold seller web sites are complete scams. You* visiting their web sites, getting your computer infected with a virus, and/or giving them your credit card info to buy in-game money, and them then 'stealing' that info is completely on you. EA/Bioware cannot prevent you from doing something stupid.

2: What other games? You say that other game companies do something, but EA/Bioware don't. I've been playing MMOs for 14 years, and not one can put a stop to these types of people.

3: There is only so much that EA/Bioware can do. As I said, I've dealt with these types for years, and they've been around a lot longer than me. They have ways around ISP bans, account bans, and any other form of punishment you can think of.

Yes, it would great if they could do something to stop gold sellers for good, and short of having someone(Likely a team of hundreds if not thousands) monitoring every single line of dialog sent through chat, approving it, and then allowing it to be seen by the public, there is really no way to put an end to it.

I don't know you, or what you do for a living, so if you have any knowledge about how to stop the spammers that no one in the entire company of EA or Bioware could possibly conceive of, then get in contact with them on a professional level rather than coming to a forum to libel them for inaction.

*Meaning the generalized form of 'you', not the personalized form.

when chat like that comes up and players use those sites because BW/EA refuse to permanently ban their IP/DNS/ISP. then EA/BW becomes liable for damages" when players do get their computers compromised.

Legally liable? No. Sorry. You can't sue them for this.

If you're suggesting that they're morally/ethically liable, I'm more inclined to agree with you.

In-game transactions involving real world currency

If you purchase an item out of game by using real world currency and the seller does not deliver, we will be unable to assist with getting the item you paid for back, as we strictly prohibit these kinds of transactions. We may also suspend (temporarily or permanently) both accounts involved, as it is against our Terms of Service to sell or purchase in-game items, currency, or services.

Point being ever sense free to play happened the credit farmer/spammers/credit seller have been running rapid, remove free to play and the credit farmer/credit sellers/spammer will have to pay like every one else.

Point being ever sense free to play happened the credit farmer/spammers/credit seller have been running rapid, remove free to play and the credit farmer/credit sellers/spammer will have to pay like every one else.

No they won't... Even pay to play MMOs offer free trials. Also these guys will just hack and steal accounts.

Banning IP/DNS/ETC can't really be done either. There are such things as a proxy server, which will mask the original IP anyways. And there are even more complicated ways to mask your IP and such. They could ban the wrong people, as NCSoft had a problem when they implemented IP bans (I know other companies have as well)... Innocent people were getting banned because sellers used spoofed IPs...

The best way I have seen this dealt with on a personal level was in SWG where players assigned by SOE could silence an account until CS could check the account and deal with it from there.

Except they won't be paying with their money. They use the credit card information that they get from the people who use their 'services'. There were credit sellers before free to play, and if they did get rid of the free to play option there would be credit sellers after it. Not that EA/Bioware would remove F2P, because it's actually a cash cow for them.

As for your quote of the ToS/EULA they need to be made aware of the accounts involved to take action. So whenever you see those spammers you should report them so Bioware can take action.

Ah now I see the purpose of this.

At first I thought you just had no understanding of the full reality of what you were talking about but now I see what this is all about. Its your way of showing what you think is the evil of f2p and that SWTOR should get rid of this horrible thing and go back to your great world of subscription only gaming.

So if someone spams that I should go kill a dog in chat for 2 years and I then do it, BW/EA becomes liable?

Suuuuure :rolleyes:

They're not liable for what people do after reading what other people wrote in the in-game chat.

Ignore and move on

Fixed that, reporting does nothing to stop them since after that account is banned they just make a new one and now you have a new name to add to your ignore list.

Having already filled my ignore list completely with gold sellers, and then having to erase all the inactive names (bannned accounts are not removed from your ignore list), and then re-ignore all the current ones just makes reporting a complete waste of time. Just ignore them and let them sit on those accounts forever spamming a chat no one can see.

2: What other games? You say that other game companies do something, but EA/Bioware don't. I've been playing MMOs for 14 years, and not one can put a stop to these types of people.

I agree with the rest of your post, Mania, I just wanted to add that some games are capable of putting a stop to credit sellers. I've been playing Marvel Heroes for months and not once have I seen a credit seller. However, I agree it's a person's own fault if they're stupid enough to give their information/go to a malicious website.

Edited by DollQueen

What I would like BW to do is expand the profanity filter to add words so I could add some of the key words credit sellers use so for example if a certain word is included in a sentence that sentence doesn't show up, I know it might bring unseen issues but I think that would be a nice first step. It would reduce these spam.

What I would like BW to do is expand the profanity filter to add words so I could add some of the key words credit sellers use so for example if a certain word is included in a sentence that sentence doesn't show up, I know it might bring unseen issues but I think that would be a nice first step. It would reduce these spam.

I could get behind a personal blacklist. That way we wouldn't have to worry about everyone's chat being accidentally over-censored because BW is trying to cut down on spam. Not sure how difficult that would be to implement (I don't know coding and game development), but it's an interesting idea.

I agree with the rest of your post, Mania, I just wanted to add that some games are capable of putting a stop to credit sellers. I've been playing Marvel Heroes for months and not once have I seen a credit seller. However, I agree it's a person's own fault if they're stupid enough to give their information/go to a malicious website.

To be honest, I do not remember that many things for credits in Marvel Heroes (but I have not played that game in a very long time), so maybe that is why there are no sellers? It is all a question of Supply/Demand

The ability to filter out any post with a URL in it would work wonders.

The ability to filter out any post with a URL in it would work wonders.

No it would not. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to configure a word filter to catch a "edited" URL, like for example "h-t-t-p:url dot eu", without potentially restricting huge number of "normal" words.

Edited by Aries_cz

No it would not. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to configure a word filter to catch a "edited" URL, like for example "h-t-t-p:url dot eu", without potentially restricting huge number of "normal" words.

Like Saturday.

A self-set blacklist as mentioned above - or the infinite Ignore list as cried for elsewhere - would work better.

Right, because gold seller web sites are so desired to be visited that people will puzzle out the disguise.

:rolleyes:

URLs all have the form (<protocol>://)<a word>.<another word>.<maybe another word>.<domain suffix>

Filtering that would put a major crimp in gold selling. If a potential buyer has to spend time turning h-t-t-p : / / w w w dot somedomainname dot com into a real URL, he's probably not going bother.

Right, because gold seller web sites are so desired to be visited that people will puzzle out the disguise.

:rolleyes:

URLs all have the form (<protocol>://)<a word>.<another word>.<maybe another word>.<domain suffix>

Filtering that would put a major crimp in gold selling. If a potential buyer has to spend time turning h-t-t-p : / / w w w dot somedomainname dot com into a real URL, he's probably not going bother.

Most goldsellers I see are actually using at least a bit disguised address. I will admit my example was a bit over the top, but your example is pretty much easily decoded, and you cannot copy/paste out of the chat anyway, so you have to type it out anyway, so you will just skip the additional stuff.