Explosive Conflict Help

I just came back to the game after a very long hiatus, and have basically forgotten the mechanics of the firebrand stormcaller fight. I'm a healer, and it seems like no matter what my side is getting obliterated when we have to run into the shield by the electric shock poles. How do you avoid this? You can't just run out of the shield since the special move fubars you're team quickly, but you can't stay in the shield since the electric shock rods land there. Is there something I'm missing as the healer that I should be doing, or is there a general mechanic that the group as a whole is missing?

I just came back to the game after a very long hiatus, and have basically forgotten the mechanics of the firebrand stormcaller fight. I'm a healer, and it seems like no matter what my side is getting obliterated when we have to run into the shield by the electric shock poles. How do you avoid this? You can't just run out of the shield since the special move fubars you're team quickly, but you can't stay in the shield since the electric shock rods land there. Is there something I'm missing as the healer that I should be doing, or is there a general mechanic that the group as a whole is missing?

First things first, the Storm Caller tank(Player Tank) should never go under the shield with the other three. He is supposed to kite the electric spikes around the Storm caller and avoid placing them in the protective shield. You just need to throw some HoTs on the tank when he is in range.

First things first, the Storm Caller tank(Player Tank) should never go under the shield with the other three. He is supposed to kite the electric spikes around the Storm caller and avoid placing them in the protective shield. You just need to throw some HoTs on the tank when he is in range.

That is huge news. Thank you for that. I almost would bet the tank ran into the shield which caused the spikes to drop on us.

That is huge news. Thank you for that. I almost would bet the tank ran into the shield which caused the spikes to drop on us.

I was also going to mention that the tank (Player) needs to save a taunt right before your hear "...Offensive Systems..." to make sure he has agro on Storm Caller for this kite phase. I have seen DPS pull agro in the past and moved under the shield still having agro and the spikes dropped inside the shield due to that.

So from what I'm reading, once that phase starts either I go mobile and kite, or the tank does. Now, if I go Kiting these spikes, does that free the tank up to go with the dps for add killing?

As a Tank I' wouldn't accomplish much in the shield so would rather kite - I'd rather my healer stay safe but I think it is up to your team. I just don't like the idea of the healer having to wander away from the team

So from what I'm reading, once that phase starts either I go mobile and kite, or the tank does. Now, if I go Kiting these spikes, does that free the tank up to go with the dps for add killing?

It should be the tank kiting the spikes, particularly in Nightmare mode. Those spikes hit pretty hard, even for a level 55. A tank has better mitigation than a healer so you may end up taking a 20k hit as opposed to a 5k or 7k hit to a tank.

That and add in the fact that as a healer, you can't taunt so getting agro during this phase might not be possible.

Just wanted to come in and echo TheWookiee's statement here as a Tank that's been doing (and clearing) NiM EC this month: it's a tank that should be kiting the electric umbrellas, never the Healer.

One of the healers does tend to have a special mechanic during the fight: during the non-shield phases, in that that Healer stays on the ground (while everyone else is standing on a tank), usually in front of Firebrand (or sometimes slightly between Fb and Sc), and "tanks" the yellow reticule that gets placed on the ground there. In Hard and Nightmare Modes, they have to do a Cleanse and step out of it so as not to eat the AOE that gets placed there after the reticule.

But that's not the same as the umbrellas that drop during the shield phase.

Edited by AlixMV

a healer kiting during defensive systems... lol ***?

never heard of that, the barrage will wreck you in nightmare in combo with the electric orbs eating you since you would probably have to stop to channel a heal a heal on yourself. Is it doable? - probably by a very good player but it's making the fight much harder than it has to be and straight up stupid imo.

I'm pretty sure that dude was trolling when he posted that a healer should kite, if he wasnt he's totally clueless and probably has never beaten the tanks in nightmare.

Edited by Gwence