Earning Comms

ZutaraAvatar

I have a question about where to earn Basic Comms. I'm kind of stressed, I just figured out there's a higher rating than the 162 mods I'm slowly building up in. I already get Basic Comms from Makeb dailies, GSI, and Section X, I'm wondering if there's any other places I could go to earn Basic Comms and maybe other ones too so I can start getting mods that have a rating higher than 162 (whats the next group of comms you need to get for armor higher than 162?). I've been doing flashpoints to get them too. I'm wondering if I'm able to do missions on Oricon with the armor I have (most of it is 162 at this point I think). It's just everytime I'm out doing something in a group people are ************ about my armor and they just have no idea, I'm on basically 24/7 these days doing these missions to get, at least decent armor. It's frustrating.

Start by reading this guide: http://dulfy.net/2013/04/14/swtor-level-55-endgame-gearing-guide/

Then go to the class forums: http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=423

And find the right section for your AC

Assassin: http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=426

Sorcerer: http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=427

And ask more questions there :D

With your gear, you can start doing operations. Operations will give you elite comms(168) and ultimate comms(180). Also in Hardmode operations you can get unnassembled pieces of armor to trade for armor of the rating from 162 to 180(depends on the operation/mode). These pieces will give you a set bonus.

Hardmode DP/DF give you ultimatimate unassembled gear.

Arkanian(162) TFB SM

Elite(underworld-168) DP/DF SM

Edited by Anzecernelic

Tactical FPs are an easy source of elite coms. I suggest you bite the bullet and queue for HM 55's... people might complain about your gear, but they can go to hell. You're there because you need the loot, and they can carry you just like someone else carried them when they were getting started. Worst case scenario you get votekicked. Best case you get huge upgrades that significantly improve your viability. It's worth the risk.

Next is elite comms for 168. As a casual player who doesn't really do endgame, I slowly collect these from the groupfinder tactical flashpoint daily reward, and some of the daily zone weekly quests give em also.

If you can manage it, a real boon is to do the 55 hard mode daily fp.. you get ultimate comms for these which get you 180 gear. Its always fun to not realize you've got enough and log in one day for an epic upgrade. Without ever setting foot in an op if you're so inclined.

Too many class stories and gamble pack items.... no time for gear and progression :))

Tactical FPs are an easy source of elite coms. I suggest you bite the bullet and queue for HM 55's... people might complain about your gear, but they can go to hell. You're there because you need the loot, and they can carry you just like someone else carried them when they were getting started. Worst case scenario you get votekicked. Best case you get huge upgrades that significantly improve your viability. It's worth the risk.

162 is plenty fine for hm55.. especially if you're dps. I can speak for tanks as well and its fine, though just be sure to pick the tank 162 pieces or upset.

If your gear is 156+ in all slots then finally anyone complaining that you're under geared in a HM FP or SM Op is being foolish. I'd just /ignore those.

Group finder has changed to allow bolster so irrespective of gear you will at least be minimum. The GF ops are a good source of elite comms and ultimate comms and will quickly start to gear you up to 168 and 180 (the Dread Fortress and Dread Palace operations drop some 168 pieces with set bonus if available on that slot).

If you are in 156's you should be able to do hm flashpoints with not much of an issue. If someone complains about your gear there that usually means they stink. Plus since its a source of ultimate comms you are going to get people massively overgeared so if you are a little undergeared you can be carried pretty easily but sounds like you are in the right place for that content

Tactical FPs are an easy source of elite coms. I suggest you bite the bullet and queue for HM 55's... people might complain about your gear, but they can go to hell. You're there because you need the loot, and they can carry you just like someone else carried them when they were getting started. Worst case scenario you get votekicked. Best case you get huge upgrades that significantly improve your viability. It's worth the risk

+1

I hate the "I got my gear so f off noob" mentality in Ops

Have they increased the gear in HM 55 flash points? Last time I ran one it was 162 non-set bonus which is exactly what the basic comments vendor will give you.

Since the addition of bolster, I've not seen any player get berated for gear when doing an op through group finder. Obviously it helps to read the tactics beforehand and probably avoid Dread Palace without a preformed group, but the others are all easy to get through by just reading a guide (I've certainly explained entire ops in GF before and it hasn't wasted much time).

Edited by ChroniKill

Have they increased the gear in HM 55 flash points? Last time I ran one it was 162 non-set bonus which is exactly what the basic comments vendor will give you.

Pretty sure HM 55s drop 162 (no set bonuses). Final bosses in tacticals other than Kuat also drop 162 (sometimes).

For the OP, as others have noted, you get Ultimates for the HM 55 weekly and daily GF reward, in addition to Ops.

Since the addition of bolster, I've not seen any player get berated for gear when doing an op through group finder.

My Guild did a no-wipe clear of GF TfB one night naked (no armor pieces), so I sure as heck hope people aren't grousing about gear in GF Ops. :p

I'm wondering if I'm able to do missions on Oricon with the armor I have (most of it is 162 at this point I think).

Oricon is one of the first places you should go when you hit 55. I think you are at or beyond the rewards you get from the intro quests.

If you're not ready to jump into Ops, here's how I would gear up in your situation:

* Run the Tactical Flashpoints daily via Group Finder. this will give you 10 elite comms per day and another 12 for the Weekly. Also some Basic comms.

* Do the Czerka and Oricon weeklies for more Eiite and Basic Comms. If you're lucky you will get the Czerka heroics finished via the Tactical Daily (above).

* Once you're kitted out in 162, run the Hard Mode Flashpoints daily for Ultimate comms. You could do this in 156 gear really, but if you're worried about vote kicks, just wait until you have 162.

* Spend your first 140 Elite comms on your 168 offhand, or your first 140 Ultimates on a 180 offhand, whichever you are earning fastest.

* A 168 or 180 mainhand will be harder to obtain unless you wish to jump into ops. If you have lots of creds you can find a crafter who will make you a 180 hilt or barrel for mats. You could also get a 168 hilt or barrel this way but since the mats are similar its best to just jump to 180. Unless you do ops regularly a crafted mainhand hilt / barrel is really your best option and money well spent.

* For relics, by far the best thing to do is run some PvP warzones. You can buy Obroan Relics for 700 Warzone Comms, which will work in PVE too and are for many classes almost comparable to what you can earn from ops (not quite as good but close enough for most purposes).

Oricon is one of the first places you should go when you hit 55. I think you are at or beyond the rewards you get from the intro quests.

Yeah, the first time missions through Oricon will get you 156 gear for helm, chest, pants, gloves, and boots for your class. And there might have been one or two random 156 pieces through that as well? I forget.

You can also get one random 156 rating piece of gear every time you do the Czerka weekly.