Unusual Sniper Hybrid - Viable ?

Jaedelyia

Hi, folks.

I'm currently testing hybrids build just for the sake of it - having a bit a PVE fun to break the monotony of the regular cookie-cutter build. You know, to make the reputation grind a bit funnier.I know there's some pretty great IA Sniper here, so I would like to know their opinion on a hybrid MM/Engineer build. Maybe some of you already play that way, and can tell me if it's viable or if it's a complete waste of time.

The main idea is to take interrogation probe instead (as well as cluster bomb and imperial methodology) of sniper volley. Something along these lines : http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rcrbdMkRMfZbIbbRo.3

I know that the usefulness of Sniper Volley is discussed. For now I think it's actually helping the Energy management quite a bit and allow to make some nice burst every now and then, but considering I just want to test this on mainly solo PVE (maybe some group quest, or some flashpoint but no operation), I wonder if that could do the trick.

Thanks a lot guys

Well, two things.

1. Does it seem to work for you?

I don't subscribe to the semi-religious dogma that only the current top end parsing spec can ever be considered "viable".

If you're not actively raiding HM/NiM and a respec means the difference between success and enrage @ 3%, go with what works for you.

2. How does it parse?

If you're on one of those teams, you'll certainly want to know you can pull your weight come raid night or look like this: :o

I know I toyed with trying a mm/engineering hybrid for pvp and came up with one that included both EMP discharge and follow through but never tried it because I knew I'd miss plasma probe so much. At the time I was thinking the added survivability which EMP discharge provides together with the mechanics of follow through might make up for things.

Ive been running a similar build that is a 28/18/0 with the pts in Siege Bunker moved to Experimental Explosives, and i friggin love it

Basically it trade Headshot and Sniper Volley for Interrogation Probe and cluster bombs.

drop explosive probe before a series of shots and not a lot lives thru it aside from elites.

Ive not done any full comparison parses since my return to the game, but i love the way this build works and feels.

Thanks for the advices guys.

Well, two things.

1. Does it seem to work for you?

2. How does it parse?

That's the thing : I don't know yet.

Had a long pause, I stopped playing a bit before RotHC. Now, I'm leveling a bit my alts, some of them are now 55, but my Sniper isn't yet. But I'd like to stir the build a bit, hence these question. If some of you were clearing saying "don't bother, energy management is impossible even in solo with that kind of hybrid", I probably wouldn't bother spending point in Engineering too much to get the Interrogation probe. Now that I read I could run, I'll give it a try.

I don't subscribe to the semi-religious dogma that only the current top end parsing spec can ever be considered "viable".

Me neither. I don't really care if I'm a few % suboptimal in comparison to the top-parser build. However, I do believe that some build are a pain and hugely inefficient due to lack of synergy or bad resource management, which I want to avoid :)

Basically it trade Headshot and Sniper Volley for Interrogation Probe and cluster bombs.

drop explosive probe before a series of shots and not a lot lives thru it aside from elites.

Ive not done any full comparison parses since my return to the game, but i love the way this build works and feels.

Thanks. I'f I stick to the idea, I might report how it goes here.