Better characters at better levels?

AemmaAstryr

When we level up, do we get characters with more abilities, higher stats, etc., or do we just get new choices for characters and our original ones level up along with us?

I don't think I understand your question. :confused: Can you try to be a little more clear?

What levels are you talking about? Legacy levels? Your character's level?

Edited by Essence_of_Light

When we level up, do we get characters with more abilities, higher stats, etc., or do we just get new choices for characters and our original ones level up along with us?

When you level up a specific character, at each level that character gets upgraded abilities and/or new abilities. That character also gets skill points at least level to invest in one of the three advanced class skill trees. And hopefully by playing the character and completing quests you are also getting better gear for the character.

Furthermore, throughout the "class story" your character acquires 6 companions (5 combat oriented plus your ship steward/protocol droid). Each base class has a specific set of companions (there is no choice). Each of those combat companions have very basic but level appropriate gear when they join you. As you level companions also get new and upgraded abilities, but you have no control over what those abilities are. You can however guide the companion by turning on and off certain abilities (usually the AOE abilities, sometimes CC), and determine what sort of "stance" the companion works in; each companion is designed to fill a particular role (DPS, tank, heals) but can fill an alternate role: healers and tanks can be put into a DPS stance, and DPS companions usually have two different dps stances (mostly frequently one stance is better at single target and the other is better at AOE).

I hope this helps. But like Essense_of_life said your query is not particularly clear.

Edited by psandak

When we level up, do we get companions with more abilities, higher stats, etc., or do we just get new choices for companions and our original ones level up along with us?

Your companions level up with you automatically; their ability bar gets filled up with new abilities, eventually. Make sure you check the companion bar and turn on their new abilities. Also, keep your main companion + the tank + the healer in good gear - you have to upgrade companion gear just as you upgrade your gear as you level up.

5 companions will eventually join your group; they wait on your ship and you can pick any one of them to come with you at any time. Their personalities are different, and their roles (tank, healer, DPS) are different. They all level up automatically when you do, even if they're on the ship at the time.

Typically, the last two abilities in the Companion bar will switch the stance of the companion (for example from tanking to DPS). Useful if you're a tank yourself, and want to switch the companion to DPS for example.

The first ability makes the companion attack. On a casting class like the Jedi Sage, for example, I start with Ctrl-1 (the key bind for "Companion, Attack") so that the companion charges and gets the attention of the targets, while I take my time to cast my long opener spell from a distance. Otherwise, on more melee-oriented classes I just attack and the companion will attack without being prompted.

The second ability (Ctrl-2) makes the companion ignore everything and follow you. This is useful if you're just running through an area and don't want the companion to fall behind and die "defending" you while you run away.

The rest of the abilities in the middle of the companion bar I usually turn them all on. Though sometimes you have to go through and turn off all the AoE abilities, if you have a tougher fight where you need to use sleeps and stuns. Companions are somewhat indiscriminate with their AoE bombs and they will unstun / unsleep the targets you're trying to keep on ice.

Each companion gets 10 or 12 skills. Attacks. Abbilities whatever u want to call them, If u click on the litle + icon on your companion bar (should be in a bottom left corner of the screen) It will expand and u will see the whole quickbar of ur companion. They acquire their skills as u level up so don't worry about them.

Also each skill can be turned on/off on auto mode so the companion will use them automaticaly by right clicking the skill icon.