Is any crafting worth it, endgame?

Letsjet

After playing up Cyber, Bio, and Art, and reading these posts, is it worth it to have any crafter besides 1 biochem for all your characters, and just have them gather?

If you have an elite guild, I can see where you could get geared then try for the dreadforged schematic crap shoot, but beyond that, I don't know.

With artificer I've made some coin selling hilts 25 and 28, enhancements 30, and crystals. The holocrons and capacitors can be profitable if you crit. For biochem, I tried a few things and the only thing I've had moderate success with is the low level implants and occasionally a high level one. For cybertech, mine isn't leveled yet, but the mod 2s and armor 2s sell like hotcakes, albeit it's small potatoes.

After playing up Cyber, Bio, and Art, and reading these posts, is it worth it to have any crafter besides 1 biochem for all your characters, and just have them gather?

If you have an elite guild, I can see where you could get geared then try for the dreadforged schematic crap shoot, but beyond that, I don't know.

I guess it all depends on your intentions as to what you want to do with your crafting skills. If you only want to make stuff for yourself and only care about mid to upper end game then you are correct: most of the crafting crew skills are just not worth it. On the other hand, if you want to make credits so you have the funds to acquire whatever you want whenever you want, then you are incorrect. EVERY crafting skill has desirable items that will sell for a profit. That profit can then be used to acquire what you want.

I guess it all depends on your intentions as to what you want to do with your crafting skills. If you only want to make stuff for yourself and only care about mid to upper end game then you are correct: most of the crafting crew skills are just not worth it. On the other hand, if you want to make credits so you have the funds to acquire whatever you want whenever you want, then you are incorrect. EVERY crafting skill has desirable items that will sell for a profit. That profit can then be used to acquire what you want.

This.

I can buy whatever I like in game, from unlocking all four stongholds to collecting rare speeders to acquiring any CM armor that catches my eye.

And the vast majority of my credits come from crafting. I do not spend time running dailies outside the few I've done for rep (and I've only maxed the Oricon one) or when helping a friend.

I have every crafting skill, multiples of some, and multiples of every gathering / mission skill. As prices and demand shift from time to time, I shift my focus as well so I am never left wondering 'how am I going to make credits this week'.

Edited by DawnAskham

In a word no!

this isn't a crafting system its a cookie cutter replicate items system.

Crafting IMPROVES the the item by either altering its appearance, or stats into something UNIQUE!:eek: (not Hey i reached level 450 and replicated the same enhancement that joe smoe did with exact same results!)

Crafter's should be able to modify any schematic (For their Profession) to improve or change stats and there-by create a new schematic that they can sell or improve upon again.

mini games could be implemented to do "research" on new styles, colors, stats

they should be able choose what missions to send companions on and quests should yield DECENT results. Or implement a way to harvest large qtys by start a mine, farm, archological digs, scrap yards, refinery, forge etc etc

should be a way to constantly improve stats on items yielding better result time researching yields a plus to x stat

or possible plus to x stat minus to another etc etc .

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

So, to add an answer to what PSandak and Dawn Askham have said…

If your goal is to keep your alts outfitted as they level, there are 3 skills which are useful.

1. Biochemistry – For making first aid and stims and implants
  2. Cybertech – for armoring and mod item modifications and ear pieces
  3. Artificer – for Enhancement item modifications and off-hand items (and lightsaber hilts for force users)

Technically Armstech could also be useful for barrels, but since they are a “one-trick pony” for equipment I’m not sure they’d be worth it.

The fact that said skills would also be making stuff for sale on the GTN is also worthwhile. SWTOR is one of (but not the only) games where crafters willing to put the time into understanding the system and getting the most out of it are often among the richest in the game.

As for Kazz…

Crafter's should be able to modify any schematic (For their Profession) to improve or change stats and there-by create a new schematic that they can sell or improve upon again. Mini-games could be implemented to do "research" on new styles, colors, stats

While this doesn’t actually answer the OP’s question. :p I wanted to respond because I understand where you’re coming from. I miss some of the capabilities I had in SWG where my engineers could tweak things. Like I could make a laser cannon for a starship that fired more rapidly, but for less damage per hit or one that fired more slowly but had a bigger punch.

I loved the SWG system for materials, etc. as well (at least as it existed after the NGE, I don’t recall playing with crafting before then). I used to have a blast looking for materials, setting up my harvesters, etc. And yeah, I could totally get into a system like that again.

Unfortunately I think that retrofitting a system like that into a game like SWTOR isn't a good idea.