Is Phasing going to be reduced?

-Fenix

The devs stated that after the game was released, and the "new" had worn off, the phasing present on ALL planets would be reduced, or even be gotten rid of. Phasing divides the population by creating different phases of the same planet to keep there from being too many people in one area, and supposedly to reduce lag.

Currently, later planets are ghost towns. This prevents Open World PVP from happening much beyond ganking. The Outlaw's Den is empty and people can just farm the security boxes there to get mercenary commendations.

So, is phasing going to be weaned off as we move on to post-launch, or will things remain empty and result in the game dying off when everyone hits 50?

I hope they do away with phasing all together. The populations on the FULL servers (Other than the few select super full ones) is TERRIBLE.

My server has a Queue every night and there are less than 100 people on Coruscant and all the starter areas.

Last night in our 10 minute queue I did /who on the entire spread of levels and came up with about 500 people...

This is absolutely insane...

I hope they do away with phasing all together. The populations on the FULL servers (Other than the few select super full ones) is TERRIBLE.

My server has a Queue every night and there are less than 100 people on Coruscant and all the starter areas.

Last night in our 10 minute queue I did /who on the entire spread of levels and came up with about 500 people...

Protip: 500 is the max the /who function will show you, not all the people on the server.

You obviously don't know what the OP is taliking about. And the /who is capped at a certain number just like most MMO's.

I'm not sure but I really hope Bioware takes out the phasing soon. It's really killing the mmo feel for me and many others I know and have met in game, not to mention all the people on the forums as well.

I'd like to see more than 100 people in a phased instance and more than 5-15 in the cities. Is this aiming at an mmo audience or an single player console audience?. Seriously something needs to be done about it. Its one of the biggest turn-offs you can have in an mmorpg.

This is coming from someone who has played over 20+ mmorpgs and well over sixteen + years and counting. I would rather wait for mobs to kill then to feel like I'm the only one around. Seriously annoyed with this, and this is pretty much the only thing I have to complain about. Other than that, great game!.

Edited by SWGVet

id rather have a busy bustling areas and deal with some lag than these empty places like now feels more like a single player game than a mmo at the mo

Agreed. I would take 500 latency every day over this current system with phased planets.

Im starting to think this phasing is damaging peoples opinion of the game, im sure that i would be alot happier with out it. Im sure it would increase open world PVP that people are crying out for more of. At the moment it feels like few people spread out across a massive galaxy, i dont feel a community just mission after mission and some hutball

I wasn't aware that Bioware had stated their intentions to reduce the use of instancing after launch. You don't happen to have a quote or link, do you?

There are only two things I don't like about this game. First is that you're limited to a single surname because of the Legacy system, but that's not that big a deal. The second is instanced zones.

Edited by PibbyPib

I do not understand what the problem is. I am on what I consider a medium population server and there are people all over the place. I think a lot of people complaining here zerged through the levels and now say the place is empty because they are weeks ahead of everyone else. I just now hit tatooine with my first character. I work and its christmas time I cant spend every waking moment in SWTOR.

Fact is give it some time and the population will grow. After christmas we will see a ton more people coming in. Its amazing the game hasnt even been out 4 days yet and people are complaining that noone is around on end game planets? Really?

Funny thing, I have never seen Belsavis or Voss phased, and I am a heavy pop server.

PROTIP - Tattooine is not a "later" planet.

We have two phases of Voss. Three phases of Tat and two/three of Aldaraan.

The only ones I havent seen phased (yet) are Ilum and Bels.. but give it a little, Bels yesterday hit 47 people which is just about where the phase starts.

Helps if you learn the game your playing, but then, why bother when you can spout nonsense on the forums?!

I wasn't aware that Bioware had stated their intentions to reduce the use of instancing after launch. You don't happen to have a quote or link, do you?

See post above yours. You may be able to find a news site stating a dev response. Pre-launch, around September phasing was a hot topic and the devs responded a few times, but since the forums were wiped it can't be seen or cited.

Edited by -Fenix

Here is an article, but it is only one instance (no pun intended) of them commenting on the issue.

Also, note that Georg stated that it would get rid of ganking, while it has actually contributed to the opposite. I am not against ganking, camping, or any form of PVP, but I would like to take part in more massive scale PVP in the open world.

Edited by -Fenix

Here is an article, but it is only one instance (no pun intended) of them commenting on the issue.

Also, note that Georg stated that it would get rid of ganking, while it has actually contributed to the opposite. I am not against ganking, camping, or any form of PVP, but I would like to take part in more massive scale PVP in the open world.

PVE servers get rid of ganking.

I've been looking for that article all over the place.

Thanks!