'Death Knight' style character in 3.0

Andy_Starstrider

Just wanted to get peoples opinions on a possible new class being add to the game that starts at lvl 50 like the death knight in WoW (has it's class quests through to lvl 55 and then joins one of the two factions and carries on from there doing the content that the rest of us are doing.

Maybe a Revanite class? Or Wookies?

I understand that 1 - 50 story lines probably won't happen. But the death knight route might work...

The amount of changes and new content that would be required for a new class makes me think that it will never happen. SWTOR is profitable for EA but I don't think its profitable enough that we will see massive changes like that.

I would really like to be wrong though.

I've seen this suggestion before and I think its really the only way we will ever see a new "class."

They aren't going to go back and write a new class story. They could but its not going to happen at this stage in the game. There are too many triggers and complications in the current game to ever have another class written in.

The only thing they could do is have your class become a new class and consider it a valid option moving forward.

There is also the option of adding new skill trees to a class.

This is always a tough one and sometimes I wonder if it will ever change. Most likely it won't.

For wookiee's sake. Can the developers like sticky in gigantic big bold red letters or some crap that they've told us numerous times we'll never see a new class EVER?

Watching threads like these clog the forums is spammy, annoying...and though with the right amount of troll gasoline and a good match very very VERY entertaining.

I've seen this suggestion before and I think its really the only way we will ever see a new "class."

Extremely unlikely.

SWTOR is built on a number of ideas that include:

1. ALL CLASSES ARE EQUAL.

Some classes may do better this month, some better another month, some suck for a year, some suck for whole 2 except in one spec, some are FOTY - but all of this is considered errors. Every class is supposed to be equally easy/hard to play and equally viable in PvP and PvE.

2. ALL CLASSES ARE HEROES.

In WoW, you essentially get to play out the life of a combat unit in a strategy game that is Warcraft. Not so in TOR. In TOR, every class is a hero class like the Death Knight (itself also an expensive unit from Warcraft). They're as heroic as they can possibly be within the limitations of the universe. Making something even more heroic makes no sense.

3. ALL CLASSES ARE WRITTEN INTO THE STORY.

Things a player of each class does are referenced in the stories of other classes. When you pick up one-time quests for flashpoints or operations, the quest givers greet you - "Oh, hey, you are the one who <big spoiler for anyone who hasn't finished act 3>." Which greeting should the "new class" use?

A new advanced class, on the other hand, would break nothing except for game balance, and I can see that happening. But not as something likely. Balance is currently lacking (way better than other games - but worse than it used to be) and they keep screwing it up rather than fine-tuning it. 12 AC are harder to balance than 8.

But I can still see that happening if they make sure that these AC are similar enough to the existing ones that their effect on balance is contained. A new AC would also likely come simultaneously with AC change.

They aren't going to go back and write a new class story. They could but its not going to happen at this stage in the game. There are too many triggers and complications in the current game to ever have another class written in.

The only thing they could do is have your class become a new class and consider it a valid option moving forward.

There is also the option of adding new skill trees to a class.

This is always a tough one and sometimes I wonder if it will ever change. Most likely it won't.

I was thinking the same thing. With the way the game is centralized around the Class Stories and how expensive it would be to design new class stories and hire voice actors, I think the only way a new class would be possible is if it started at level 50 and assumed the Class Story had been completed.

The only other option I see for adding new classes to the game would be to expand the Advanced Classes that are available to each base class, but I think they would catch a lot of flak if they went that route. When Blizzard redesigned the entire world for Cataclysm they ended up creating an amazing product that many of the old players hated because it wasn't "new enough". I think a new AC that just recycles and old Class Story would probably receive a similar response from many players.

The species would introduce a completely unique class, silly. EXCLUSIVE to Hutts. :p

I can bet for sure that someone will say: "Ohhh FU BW I whant to have a Hutt class with sith pureblood FU!! IMBALANCE OF PVP!!!!"

EDIT:

main problem I would like to see them: "on speeders and running..." XD

Edited by Elminster_cs

Just wanted to get peoples opinions on a possible new class being add to the game that starts at lvl 50 like the death knight in WoW (has it's class quests through to lvl 55 and then joins one of the two factions and carries on from there doing the content that the rest of us are doing.

Maybe a Revanite class? Or Wookies?

I understand that 1 - 50 story lines probably won't happen. But the death knight route might work...

Give me a "yoda" hero class! And let me reroll as a droid!

No to hero classes. And a big noooooooooooo to purchasing any type of pre levelled character. Frick people it is a game that you have to learn to play.... It is not something you can just skip if they truly implement a boost to cap. I think requirements would be your legacy level 50 all 8 story lines done and at least 400cc or 1.5m credit unlock for alts. :mad: Edited by CKNORTH