New player quest question.

Werewolfven

Hi there,

I just got the game and wanted to know if there is any penalty or miss anything important (rewards) when I don't finish the bonus part of certain missions?

Is there any way to restart a mission?

Thank you.

Enjoying the game so far!

To answer your 1st question, no, there isn't any penalty for not completing bonus missions (for example: kill 25 Sand People). All you get for completing bonus missions is bonus experience points. They are 100% optional.

To answer your 2nd question, yes, there is a way to restart missions. You have to go to your missions log (L by default). There, click on the mission you want to reset. After doing that, you should see several buttons below the mission. One of them will be named "Reset"; click that to restart the mission.

And for future reference, if you ever need guides, or info, I suggest you check out Dulfy.net. Dulfy always keeps the site updated with the latest SWTOR info, whether it be for the latest Cartel Packs, or the newest Patch Notes.

I hope you enjoy your time in SWTOR! If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. :)

There are occations where you get planetary comms for bonus missions, so if you rely on comms to get mods or equipment it's good to do the bonus ones as well.

Also, remember that bonus missions that have several parts can be completed after the mission they are attached to has been completed (but not turned in) in most cases, while bonus missions that don't have parts are usually cancelled the second you complete the main mission.

Maybe we should point out that there is a difference between a "bonus" within a quest and a "Bonus Mission" The first are usually indented below the initial quest AND they amount to killing a few more Bad Guys, like the first answer said: "Kill 25 berserk droids." These can be easily skipped and, indeed, if you finish the basic quest, they will disappear if you have't finished them. These usually if not always never have separate rewards.

Bonus Missions are a whole different issue and can be extensive with many sub-missions involved. A good example is Balmorra. You're all done with your Class Quest and about to go back to your ship when up pops one last guy at the spaceport with a request from the governor for one last mission to help her. Well, it's a LOT more than that and is enough to get you up at least one more level if not two. You have to go get the Collocoids, rescue pilots and a whole lot more stuff that will take you a few hours.

But the advantage here is that you level up a bit and this may make you a tad bit "over leveled" for the next planet, which will make it easier because you are a wee bit stronger and some of those missions will be green rather than orange.

There are no adverse consequences for not taking on a "Bonus" mission within a quest other than a small amount of XP you won't get, but the consequences of missing a "Bonus Mission" in the second sense can affect your whole game.

There are also two types of "Bonus Objectives" for a quest that can show up:

1. "Bonus: Kill 0/25 mobs, etc."

2. "Bonus: Stage 1: Kill 0/25 mobs, etc"

When you see Stage 1, it means that it is a multi-part bonus objective. When you finish Stage 1, it updates and you get new objectives in Stage 2. After those objectives are handled, Stage 3 (or Final) objective.

This mini-quest line usually culminates in an elite mob fight (sort of a soloable mini-boss), and after you kill the mob, you loot their corpse for a thing you turn in at a mission terminal.

Both of these types of bonuses are completely optional. The multi-stage bonuses give really good xp, and have additional rewards upon quest turn-in.

Edited by Khevar

If you abandon a (regular, not bonus) mission, you have to go back to the quest giver NPC to take it again, usually.

If it's a class mission, the quest NPC may be on a different or previous planet, or may be your holocomm on your ship, which may or may not have the quest triangle glowing to attract your attention that you can retake the quest.

Maybe we should point out that there is a difference between a "bonus" within a quest and a "Bonus Mission" The first are usually indented below the initial quest AND they amount to killing a few more Bad Guys, like the first answer said: "Kill 25 berserk droids." These can be easily skipped and, indeed, if you finish the basic quest, they will disappear if you have't finished them. These usually if not always never have separate rewards.

Bonus Missions are a whole different issue and can be extensive with many sub-missions involved. A good example is Balmorra. You're all done with your Class Quest and about to go back to your ship when up pops one last guy at the spaceport with a request from the governor for one last mission to help her. Well, it's a LOT more than that and is enough to get you up at least one more level if not two. You have to go get the Collocoids, rescue pilots and a whole lot more stuff that will take you a few hours.

But the advantage here is that you level up a bit and this may make you a tad bit "over leveled" for the next planet, which will make it easier because you are a wee bit stronger and some of those missions will be green rather than orange.

There are no adverse consequences for not taking on a "Bonus" mission within a quest other than a small amount of XP you won't get, but the consequences of missing a "Bonus Mission" in the second sense can affect your whole game.

That's called a Bonus Series. Nearly every planet has one (I haven't seen one on Quesh, Corellia or the starter planets).

If you abandon a (regular, not bonus) mission, you have to go back to the quest giver NPC to take it again, usually.

If it's a class mission, the quest NPC may be on a different or previous planet, or may be your holocomm on your ship, which may or may not have the quest triangle glowing to attract your attention that you can retake the quest.

Be very careful about choosing to Abandon a mission rather than simply Reset it. Not all missions can be picked up again if you Abandon them. If the mission description doesn't say it is repeatable, you probably shouldn't Abandon it, unless you're certain you won't want to do it - ever. If you Abandon a mission and can't pick it up again, you will get zero help from CS. They will not "give back" a mission if you Abandon it and can't pick it up again later.

I found planetary commendations to be essential when I leveled up my first toon. At the very least they are a great way to gear up your companions who only get average quest loot if you so choose. I also found that I was overleveled more often than not and could buy the gear for the next planet before I even got there, so in that case they helped a lot. I usually only chose commendations as my quest rewards. Something to consider because I rarely found gear that was better than the commendation gear. Most people say to only spend them on mods and enhancements, but I only chose a few pieces of gear to properly mod out: MH/OH weapons and gear you think looks cool, and spent the rest on gear. I probably earned over 500 commendations leveling my first toon, so they really aren't a rare commodity that you need to save, spend them.

Sure only some bonus quests give commendations, but they do add a lot to your exp bar if you do most of them. They can easily equal out to another level you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I know they can sometimes feel exhausting when you get them "Oh man I have to kill 25 of X enemies?!" In reality you will have kill at least 15-20 to complete the main objective anyways, so what's 5 more going to hurt? Remember you don't have to rush the bonus objective because there are plenty of mobs to kill on the way to the main objective. I feel they work hand in hand with my first paragraph really well.