Are we getting an expansion or just an update???

kroto

Do you have any ideas what should be in the next expansion to warrant calling it an expansion? Or will we just get an (update).

Personally when I think of expansions I think of something much bigger than a monthly or quarterly update to the game.

There should be game changing features within including but not limited to new PVP areas and modes, new fully fleshed out planets(not makeb, cz-198, oricon, etc...) , planets like Belsavis or Hoth. There should be new quality of life features like a new social system or changes to the current Legacy system. Possibly a new central hub somewhere other than Fleet. Maybe a new playable race or new companion. Actual enviroments that you can click on and interact with i.e. chairs, control panels, furniture of any kind basically. New perks for subscribers only like unlimited Legacy unlocks for gear and mounts.

What will we end up getting? A "Makeb like" planet that takes less than an hour or so to explore , sub-par PVP improvements, class changes that will do more to upset the player than to relieve the current issues. And that would be the bulk of what we will most likely get unfortunately. And then we get to wait 6-8 months (if we are lucky) for the same thing.

When I hear expansion I think of epic changes to the game. These changes should be epic should they not? So why do I feel like I'm playing a game that is constantly cutting corners and cheating the player out of quality content? I like the game alot but sometimes I feel like it could be so much more if the developers would start thinking bigger and not just what they can get by with.

I really hope this 3.0 expansion really is something to be excited about but the fact that we are looking at a "Makeb like" expansion doesnt give me epic goosebumps, just regular goosebumps.

What do all of you think?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an expansion. It may not fit your exact definition for an expansion, but it is.

He is right!, no matter how small it is, in Biowares definition its an expansion, it can be a small area like Cz but still an expansion :rolleyes:...

Now i wish they really make it worth the waiting.

Edited by saremun

What will we end up getting? A "Makeb like" planet that takes less than an hour or so to explore ...

The only POSSIBLE way you could have explored ALL of Makeb in less than an hour is if you skipped ALL of the story and just eyeballed areas without entering them. The mob density and aggro range alone would have prevented you from speed running through the planet - and WHY would you want to speed run through new content?

No, Makeb was hours and hours of new gameplay (more if you had both Imp and Pub characters) so maybe let's not exaggerate so much when trying to make a point? It totally undercuts your argument.

Arguing whether it is an expansion or an update is just pointless semantics. There's no universally accepted standard as to the meaning of such words in this context.

It will be both an expansion and an update by definition, unless it actively removes things from the game, or puts things back to how they were in a previous version.

Edited by PLynkes

The only POSSIBLE way you could have explored ALL of Makeb in less than an hour is if you skipped ALL of the story and just eyeballed areas without entering them. The mob density and aggro range alone would have prevented you from speed running through the planet - and WHY would you want to speed run through new content?

No, Makeb was hours and hours of new gameplay (more if you had both Imp and Pub characters) so maybe let's not exaggerate so much when trying to make a point? It totally undercuts your argument.

I think it's fair to say the Makeb expansion was a 10 hour expansion. However due to the mob density and linear story there was no replay value to Makeb. The other half of the expansion, Seeker/Macro questlines were so poorly received most people don't even mention them in posts like this. But they were a major part of the storyline of ROTHC, gated behind a boring gameplay mechanic unfortunately. Hopefully the new expansion is at least some of the following:

1) longer than 10 hours

2) reasonable mob density

3) branching storyline to enhance replayability

4) if there's a minigame like seeker/macro, make sure it's fun not tedious

5) more content in groupfinder. Why isn't TC in groupfinder? What about the Heroic 4's from Seeker/Macro?

Well, I for one am sick and tired of being made to wait.

I was promised a pony and I want what was promised.

BioWare gives you a miniature pony!

BioWare says "You didn't ask what kind of pony!"

BioWare Trolling is super effective!

Back on topic, I heard Makeb-like expansion, so that's what I am expectating. Another Makeb, with insane mobs and all the fun torture along the way.

BioWare gives you a miniature pony!

BioWare says "You didn't ask what kind of pony!"

BioWare Trolling is super effective!

Back on topic, I heard Makeb-like expansion, so that's what I am expectating. Another Makeb, with insane mobs and all the fun torture along the way.

I dunno BW's learned from Makeb that the mob density wasn't too popular. I think it's a safe bet that the new planet won't have quite that level of density

5) more content in groupfinder. Why isn't TC in groupfinder? What about the Heroic 4's from Seeker/Macro?

I've never done those heroics because I can't be bothered to sit there doing nothing while spamming chat trying to get a group.

They really should be in GF. At least then I could wander around doing other things while waiting.

Edited by Fantazm

Do you have any ideas what should be in the next expansion to warrant calling it an expansion? Or will we just get an (update).

Personally when I think of expansions I think of something much bigger than a monthly or quarterly update to the game.

There should be game changing features within including but not limited to new PVP areas and modes, new fully fleshed out planets(not makeb, cz-198, oricon, etc...) , planets like Belsavis or Hoth. There should be new quality of life features like a new social system or changes to the current Legacy system. Possibly a new central hub somewhere other than Fleet. Maybe a new playable race or new companion. Actual enviroments that you can click on and interact with i.e. chairs, control panels, furniture of any kind basically. New perks for subscribers only like unlimited Legacy unlocks for gear and mounts.

What will we end up getting? A "Makeb like" planet that takes less than an hour or so to explore , sub-par PVP improvements, class changes that will do more to upset the player than to relieve the current issues. And that would be the bulk of what we will most likely get unfortunately. And then we get to wait 6-8 months (if we are lucky) for the same thing.

When I hear expansion I think of epic changes to the game. These changes should be epic should they not? So why do I feel like I'm playing a game that is constantly cutting corners and cheating the player out of quality content? I like the game alot but sometimes I feel like it could be so much more if the developers would start thinking bigger and not just what they can get by with.

I really hope this 3.0 expansion really is something to be excited about but the fact that we are looking at a "Makeb like" expansion doesnt give me epic goosebumps, just regular goosebumps.

Everybody would love to see Bioware do a "full on" expansion to this game or the type of expansions that Blizzard puts out for their games, but the truth of the matter is that they (Bioware Austin) don't have the resources to do that sort of thing with TOR and it's not like EA is going to give them the resources to do so either.

The patch that just released, ie 2.10/Rakata Prime is an update. By comparison something like 2.0/Makeb is an expansion. That's just how it is as far as TOR is concerned and that's never going to change.

Everybody would love to see Bioware do a "full on" expansion to this game or the type of expansions that Blizzard puts out for their games, but the truth of the matter is that they (Bioware Austin) don't have the resources to do that sort of thing with TOR and it's not like EA is going to give them the resources to do so either.

The patch that just released, ie 2.10/Rakata Prime is an update. By comparison something like 2.0/Makeb is an expansion. That's just how it is as far as TOR is concerned and that's never going to change.

Blizzard has taken the way of "one big update bundle with nothing in between" (their last "content update", 5.4.1, was on 09/09/2013, that is over a year).

BioWare on the other hand has chosen to release smaller chunks of content on a more regular basis. Just because someone claim that GSF or GSH is not content, it does not mean it is true.

This^^. I respectfully ignore all your other points but this is of utmost importance if the place is to remain relevant past the first run. And of course the place should be incorporated in the Conquest event as much as possible. Those two things alone shall grant it a pretty solid afterlife.

Makeb could be considered an expansion, but GSF certainly wasn't. It was just an update. But of course you have the trolls who tell you "anything added to the game is technically an expansion"

Edited by EvenHardNiner

Bioware called it an expansion. It's an expansion. Facts are facts.

If Bioware added one new pvp map in an update and called it an "expansion", no doubt people on here would be going "b-b-b-b-but bioware called it an expansion so it's an expansion!!!! Y-y-y-yyour definition is different from theirs!! And whatever they say...is is is is is correct!!!!!"

:rolleyes:

But we all know Biowares definition of expansion is different from every other MMO's definition. Too bad you can't see the truth.

Edited by EvenHardNiner