Requisites for Ranked

Cox_The_Beast

Hello everybody, I'm a more and less casual player who incidentally managed to scrape together a more and less 50-50 Obroan-Brutalizer set on his main PvP character, a Lightning speeced Sorcerer. :)

Seeing at how recently I was spending more and more time switching Unranked Comms into Ranked ones to upgrade my PvP gear, I began thinking of giving Ranked a try. I usually do reasonably well in WZs in general and also in Arenas being a Sorc, getting focused and all, some times I even manage to take down a couple of the others. But as you can see, I never tryed Ranked before, and the last thing I want is to be a nuisance for a possible team... :o

As such, I wanted to understand what are the prerequisites for queuing for Ranked Arenas. I don't really need S3 rewards or the like, it's not because of that that I do it. Nor it is because of Conquest, though the points would be nice... :rolleyes:

I just wanted to have a look at it. And I'm curious as to what rating I would manage to get, if above 500 or not. ;)

I would stop if I was to see my performance dragging the team down, of course. But I'd like to at least try it, for once... :o

That said, what would I need to have to begin queuing for that? As I said, my gear is full PvP, no augments. I have Brutalizer relics, weapon, offhand and a couple of armor pieces - chest and legs, if I'm not mistaken.

I have a reasonable number of stims in my bank I could use, if those are needed, though honestly in Unranked I noticed little difference between with and without them. :o

Every answer would be greatly appreciated, because as I said I never tryed anything the like before, and I'm not a PvP Master or anything like that. Regardless of my Valor rating, which is pretty high. :D

The prerequisite for ranked is respecing to madness. :p

But seriously, you should be fine if you're in full obroan + augments. Get those augments. If you hate yourself, like so many of us do, you can even get datacrons to max yourself out while you wait for pops.

Edited by HaoZhao

The prerequisite for ranked is respecing to madness. :p

But seriously, you should be fine if you're in full obroan + augments. Get those augments. If you hate yourself, like so many of us do, you can even get datacrons to max yourself out while you wait for pops.

Hes right, madness is the way to go or whilst your trying to channel you get pushed,knocked back,stunned,interupted and before you know it your stuffed, my advice learn to kite... nothing better than having a lol jug or lolrauder following you and your just out of his derp reach then just as he tries ravage where he thinks your gonna be rooted by it whilst he smacks you, you run off because you specced right. I'd never use lighting spec in ranked... but feel free to try. But otherwise the fella is right you need full augments and min obama gear and use a stim, then you can work on your beardalizer gear without being a drain on your team mates.

Hes right, madness is the way to go or whilst your trying to channel you get pushed,knocked back,stunned,interupted and before you know it your stuffed, my advice learn to kite... nothing better than having a lol jug or lolrauder following you and your just out of his derp reach then just as he tries ravage where he thinks your gonna be rooted by it whilst he smacks you, you run off because you specced right. I'd never use lighting spec in ranked... but feel free to try. But otherwise the fella is right you need full augments and min obama gear and use a stim, then you can work on your beardalizer gear without being a drain on your team mates.

So he has to have the nuclear launch codes and the Secret Service with him? Darn it. To be fair, I'd rather have that than get the ability to cause beard growth. (Bolds in the quote added by me)

As said, Obroan, augments and a stim. Augments cost quite a bit, but I think you can start off with the blue 28 Resolve ones and upgrade to purples as you go.

Edited by Elusive_Thing

Augments + kits + installation can seem like it costs a lot, but if you run dailies while waiting for warzones, you can easily get an augment on a piece of your gear every day. (If you're actually wearing the Obroan shells, remember that they're consumed when you buy brutalizer pieces.)

Thank you all for your insights, guys, much appreciated. :)

On the bright side, I have both an aug crafter and an aug kit one, so those are not too much of a hassle... Even though those Thermal Regulators seem to drop so rarely... :rolleyes:

Still, I'll take that advice to heart and begin working my way towards Augmented gear. :)

respec to madness and get good at kiting (spec into fadeout in the healing tree) if you aren't already. Augment your gear and always use stims/medpacks/adrenals. As for ranked gear I think you said you have mh/oh and relics brutalizer which is great. Take the time to inspect a few good sorcs' gear to see what stats they are prioritizing... being min-maxed is much better than having full brute. Edited by LeglessChair

I would always suggest having at least a min/maxed set of the lower tier PvP gear that is currently available and at least a full set of blue augments. For groups, you want as close as possible to min/max of the higher tier of PvP gear available with all purple augments. I would suggest being consistently towards the top of the scoreboard in regs in your given role. I would avoid healing unless you are a scoundrel/operative or if you are a very skilled commando/mercenary, but that is more in terms of getting wins. Your team will not thank you for playing a sorc/sage healer unless you go hybrid and are actually queued as DPS.

It's always good to be able to play FotM, but they aren't faceroll like everyone claims. Being able to play a second tier spec well is much better than trying to find your way through Madness, but you'll have to know your spec well to make up for the power difference.

More than anything else, make sure you understand what other classes/specs can do so you can properly anticipate what both your enemies and allies will be doing. If you aren't comfortable in regs, I would continue queueing up there to get a better handle on the game. The experience you are gaining is worth far more than the gear.

Thanks for the further advice. :) Up ot now I was trying to get some Brutalizer gear mostly because I'm quite sure they're going to scale down sets - like they did last two times... Partisan, Conqueror, remember? :rolleyes:

I find it satisfying to have the top tier ready, it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

In Regs I tend to do either quite well if the team manages to put up a fight, or pretty bad, if they don't. Most of the times, I'm left alone vs two low in health, forced to either kite them to death with DoTs or face them. As Lightning I actually manage to win both times, but that's if I don't get focused at start, because unless there's actually a healer, well... You know how Sorcs are. :o

Though lately I seem to perform a little better, which is another reason why I took Ranked into consideration: not looking at dmg or anything, but at how things go in the Arena, I noticed that either the opposing team focuses me and loses at least one during that, or that they don't and I down one of them, if not two. Since in Arenas the objective is "simply" to defeat the other team, I assume that'd be a fair tradeoff. :)

Edited by Cox_The_Beast

Augments + kits + installation can seem like it costs a lot, but if you run dailies while waiting for warzones...

I've heard this many times, but I've never understood it. Queue times are about 2 minutes in prime time on harby. If it takes longer than five minutes, I leave queue and log off to do something else, because pvp just isn't happening at that time. I find it to be rather annoying to be in the middle of mob fights half way through a daily area and get the pop. If I'm in a WZ queue, I'm sitting on the fleet next to the pvp daily terminals.

IMO, the best way to pay for augments is to either use your monthly allotments of CC to buy stuff and sell on market, or craft. While it takes some time and effort to get your crafting skills up and to figure out what sells well, it's really worth it once you have it all set up. I send my companions on crew missions, put stuff for sale on the GTN, deal with mails from previously sold items (side note: why is the pvp area the only section of the fleet that does not have a mail terminal :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:). Just do some regular warzones for a while and work on getting your crafting skills up while waiting for queue pops. Pretty soon, you'll be able to easily pay for your augments.

I don't run dailies anymore. It takes about an hour, maybe more to go run the entire section X dailies and you may get 150K credits or thereabouts? I can make that from an evening of crafting while I am waiting for pvp queue pops. No more daily grinding. Crafting is kind of fun and doesn't take all that much effort. Dailies are repetitive and pretty much require you to not pvp while you are doing it (if you are like me at least).

Edited by teclado

Though lately I seem to perform a little better, which is another reason why I took Ranked into consideration: not looking at dmg or anything, but at how things go in the Arena, I noticed that either the opposing team focuses me and loses at least one during that, or that they don't and I down one of them, if not two. Since in Arenas the objective is "simply" to defeat the other team, I assume that'd be a fair tradeoff. :)

The level of competition in ranked is higher than unranked. You might be surprised. I frequently do quite well with my TK sage (same as lightning sorc) in unranked arenas. My TK sage in ranked would fail pretty hard on a regular basis.

I would strongly suggest learning how to play madness if you want to do ranked. Furthermore, honestly, once I went with my vanguard, I've only played my sage when I needed some variety. VG/PT are so much better for arenas than Sage/Sorc. However, if you must play your sorc, many have been using a hybrid healer / dps build. You may have read some people complaining about it. I've never tried it myself, though.

As far as gear, I would get full obroan with brutalizer relics and implants, advanced 28 purple augments on everything, and prototype nano-infused resolve stims.