Armormech make modable gear?

Sotof

Now, I am not level 50 yet, but so far I cannot make modable gear with armormech. It seems kind of odd given that it would have to be the way you could make the most profit out of this profession for the reason that it lets people chose how they want to look (You can sell cool looking models on the market and people can fill it with mods from Cybertech). It seems like an oversight to me at least, and it makes the crew skills like armormech have less value than Cybertech as when people find a piece of gear that looks cool and is modable, they are very unlikely to replace it with a non-modable version (no matter if it is superior). At least I only use modable gear right now, and probably will continue to do so.

Thoughts? Opinions?

You can get schematics for modable armor from quest drops and from certain Mission Skills (Underworld Trading does for sure, I think Treasure Hunting does as well?). I have a fistful of orange Synthweaving schematics I'm giving to my Jedi alt, and I have made a couple of snazzy orange helmets from a schematic I got from Underworld Trading. Check the GTN, I would imagine some are on sale there.

I would like it if the standard recipes were modifiable though, it seems awfully limited. Or at least have the RE blues be modable. I would dislike if the far majority of my crew skill was useless when I get it to max level and am level 50.

The issue some people have with the modable items is that it becomes a real chore to keep them updated. I personally only mod one or two items the rest I try to use blue/purple items as they last for a good few levels before needing to be replaced. I have made a few purple armour items and they have all sold well on the AH. Edited by Kazide

You can get pieces with a single mod slot, if you get a critical success. The item will say (Exceptional) and have one Augment slot for use. I'm not sure on whether it is just random to get a critical craft, or if there is something you can do to help the process.

It's random, but higher crew affection increases the chances I believe, like it does with crafting/mission efficiency.

I would like it if the standard recipes were modifiable though, it seems awfully limited. Or at least have the RE blues be modable. I would dislike if the far majority of my crew skill was useless when I get it to max level and am level 50.

Well, most people make the green recipes when leveling up, so the GTN is flooded with those, but not a lot of people bother to craft the blue recipes. You might be able to craft and sell a limited number of blue recipes to the leveler with extra credits. I have slicing, so I just buy the gear upgrades I need. Blue gear is generally cheaper and better stat-wise than a mod-able piece with level appropriate green modifications.... and to fully mod gear with purple or blue mods is quite expensive.