Hello!

I just want to pass along that I was super skeptical about whether it was at all useful to have a group finder mechanism for operations. A few weeks ago I decided to give it a whirl (since my own guild had been a bit inactive on this front) and -- so far -- I've had nothing but positive experiences. In one successful run, I was one of two PuGs helping a guild (or rather, they helped us) go through Terror from Beyond without a single wipe. In another, it was a complete smorgasbord and we finished Dread Palace with maybe one or two wipes.

So I have to say that I think this is working well and an excellent way to make sure casuals enjoy this content (and semi-casuals like me who have done the content with a guild but don't mind revisiting it from time to time).

This next bit is beyond BioWare's control, but a lot of kudos to the experienced players who have stepped up to the plate to guide everybody through the Operations. That isn't easy without TeasmSpeak, Mumble, etc.

- Arcada

I've had three GF Ops pops up to now. Once on my Guardian Tank, two times on my Sorc DPS. Surprisingly, all were instant pops. :eek:

The Guardian run was a good one, though we called it a night at the last DP boss, the Dread Council. With 5/8 being first timers, I'd call it a good result, all in all. :p

Both Sorc ones were also nice, the first one being a S&V, which we cleared, and the second one being a TfB, which we also cleared with little to no problems, though I kept ripping aggro because tanks wouldn't believe a Sorc in Lightning Spec could generate so much threat... :rolleyes:

And now, the most important point. Apart from the Guardian run, all the others were composed of me and at least 5 abitual raiders. People I ran Ops before and that performed well, people that knew their stuff. As such, I'd say the idea of GF Ops is not bad in itself, as long as the players are good ones. I'd still like to queue for the old lvl 50 ones, though, even as lvl 55... :cool:

sorry have to ask which server is this? and what times did you do the ops? apparently im on bastion and i have been queueing up for ops in QF all the time but have never found any before.

Ebon Hawk @ 8pm-10pm. You know, I had tried to queue for OPS back when they added it and didn't have any luck. However, in the last two weeks operations have been the first thing that pop'ed (I usually queue for my tacticals and hardmode and PVP at the same time) in -- I swear -- less than a minute. Maybe this was just luck, but it could be a sign of a more active population and perhaps guilds reving up again given the flagships and conquest mechanics...

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

I would recommend forming a group of 8 before getting into GF

this way you can control how many people in your group are new/undergeared (note that bloster brings you to 156 gear level but DP need more than that)

I just had a SnV group that had 4 new+undergeared players which took us an hour to clear trash+the infiltration bit, which then the group fell apart because it took forever for the new ones (1 of them didn't even know how many bosses there are, so you know they don't find a guide before joining) to learn the fights

Another problem I had was DF, I've failed Draxus with 3 groups already (out of the 3 times I tried), because its hard to coordinate all 8 people and check if they play correctly, so whenever someone failed their part its hard for the others to point out and help them improve. I gave up after those 3 trys even though the groups were decently geared and do 16m DF instead.

So yup, I suggest you to form a group of 8 first so you know if the group is good enough to get the ops done.

Definitely the better way of learning the ops, 8 as opposed to 16 as far as understanding what each player's roll is in the run. The downside is that instead of 16-mans, which got 10 DPS and 4 heals for every pair of tanks, GF is cutting it down to four DPS and two heals per tank pair. Definitely meaning it's not quite as easy for players to get into runs as it used to be.

I wish the Devs could figure out the server issues with GF and enable it to be 16M GF.

With conquest, queues pop more quickly (though still highly variable - evenings seem best), though expect to see the queue pop at the last boss as more guilds game the lock out system to run as many alts through the GF mission as fast as possible.

Not as lucrative as gaming BT / Esseles / Ilum / FE a couple weeks back, but with a bit of planning a guild can get a good number of characters locked-out at the final boss, then queue group after group of alts in GF for conquest points.

Edited by DawnAskham

My experience with the operation groupfinder is that it's not worth the time unless I am queuing as tank. As tank I can usually lead a group to success regardless of how many other group members don't know the fight. As DPS or healer, I have found that 9 times out of 10 the queue spits out a group with tank(s) who have no idea what they are doing and the group fails.

The exception to this is Dread Fortress & Dread Palace, because the Draxus & Council fights actually require every single group member to have a working brain with good short term memory. They are the only SM fights in the game where no amount of patient explanations on my part can salvage a bad group.

Edited by Gardimuer

• 6 months later...