The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

Thanks for the credits

I already told you in the other thread that you are a funny dude, that should suffice your eager to continue posting here unless you have something usefull to say

But since i cant stop you posting im just glad there is a /ignore function in the forums as well, unfortunatelly there is no such thing in the GTN that will keep me from people like you but ill be working towards that goal, so for that i thank you, your attitude just makes me believe strongly that the GTN needs that option

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its just some try to get quick rich scheme, not really a scam even though at first I thought it was a scam cause they "Are" intentially doing it. But yeah its a legit item for a legit price, and I think a real scam is buying something that you did not get or paid for something but received something else.

You should look up pyramid schemes. Those are completely legit by this logic.

Personally, I think people post this view to feel that smug sense of superiority.

To be fair there are restrictions on, and laws that regulate sellers as well, but yes, buyer beware is the standard.

And also the point about the fairness of getting an expensive item for a cheap price is also a good point. Not many complain about the unfairness of that.

A friend of mine in our office found an original Picasso intaglio print, artist proof, in a yard sale. I can't list what he sold it for, since he asked me not to do so, but I will say he bought it for 50 cents.

He made a rather healthy profit as you can imagine.

It won't stop the "scams" from showing up being able to read and do math at a grade 2 level will allow you to avoid them.

As would a ranking system, like a flag, and also have the effect of encouraging fair and honest trade.

I think sellers should be rated. A flag system, or an ignore system would accomplish this at no detriment to the market. The game would benefit overall, as would it's playerbase.

I've bought stuff of the GTN for way over priced, I learn to sort a very times and its never happen again.

There are couple problems with adding another level of protection. The players that buy over price items are going to ignore the new protection system like they do with the current protection system. No matter how many layer you add, people are going to ignore them and do stupid things.

If you ignore other seller how are you doing to be able to place your items on the GTN for completive price? You could end up never selling anything on the GTN again.

I'm in the "take responsibility for your actions, learn from your mistakes" camp. I don't think this issue needs to be addressed by the devs.

So i guess being Maduff is ok with you as well

Im sorry if i dont agree, i do believe in a free market system but i would also like controls for myself to help me make better choices and avoid mistakes, again its being done with all intentions of being a scam it has purpuse, it was intentional and you are ripping off people, its should be adressed

Im not asking BW to step in and ban these fellas its my mistake only im asking for a filter where i get to choose who do i buy from and who i dont buy from, just like i dont buy chevrolets or hondas but toyotas

I see nothing wrong with that and i do see many things wrong about a system that induces others mistakes for the benefit of a few, thats bad for bussines and bad for BW

As would a ranking system, like a flag, and also have the effect of encouraging fair and honest trade.

I think sellers should be rated. A flag system, or an ignore system would accomplish this at no detriment to the market. The game would benefit overall, as would it's playerbase.

You can sort by price and seller and a flagging system would be a bad idea what's to stop trolls from flagging down someone for ***** and giggles or to give the guy undercutting him by a cred a bad rep? The tools to avoid buying something over price are here people just don't use them and complain when they screw up

To play devil's advocate for a moment to the players that are very adamant to BW developing some additional safeguard against overpriced items, why do you seem to only view this issue through that particular prism?

What about those sellers that forget a zero on their prices? The hypercrate that is supposed to sell for 3,200,000 accidentally gets listed at 320,000. I have yet to see any threads about sellers complaining that there isn't a confirmation window, or an additional layer of protection for those instances..

Excellent. And, in fact, Bioware can be considered an intentional culprit here, rather than an unintentional one in OP's rant. That's because every item has a "suggested price" already appearing in the pricing window that YOU MUST OVERRIDE to put your desired price in. This price is always MUCH LOWER than the going price on the GTN. For example, an armoring mod that sells for 10K on the GTN has a suggested price of, say, 323 credits.

This is NOT other players foolishly undercutting the prevailing GTN price and depressing the market (which happens all too often). It is Bioware-caused by players moving too fast and not realizing what they have done. So what does a player do when he sees something like this, because he's smart enough to click on price a couple of times and see what the low and high price is? Well, he BUYS it, of course, then immediately re-lists it at the going price. Buy low. Sell high.

So if you're going to demand Bioware "fix" the first issue, then in all fairness you absolutely must demand Bioware "fix" the second one and do away with the artificially low "suggested price." If you don't think that's an issue, you;re just a hypocrite.

If you ignore other seller how are you doing to be able to place your items on the GTN for completive price? You could end up never selling anything on the GTN again.

Exactly why this would work. Just the fear of this alone would likely get more than a few sellers to behave.

Less drastic undercutting, less hyperinflation.

You can sort by price and seller and a flagging system would be a bad idea what's to stop trolls from flagging down someone for ***** and giggles or to give the guy undercutting him by a cred a bad rep? The tools to avoid buying something over price are here people just don't use them and complain when they screw up

Nothing would stop them. But the flag only exists for you, and you still see the sale.

You can certainly remove a flag, or even upgrade it to a green one.

This way no sale is hidden if a seller changes his ways....his sales simply end up at the bottom of the page.

It's sad to me that the player base has degraded to the point where it wants/needs/expects the provider of a game company to hold their hands and protect them from every possible bad behavior by another player. :rolleyes:

Would it be nice to put a player on /ignore on the GTN? Perhaps. Then again.... people seem to forget that everytime a game developer codes new constraints and restrictions into an established MMO..... new bugs are introduced and additional load is placed on the server to process and apply such filters. I personally have never seen any player-2-player seller instrument (regardless of what is is called, AH, GTN, etc.) installed in a game that does what the OP asks. Conclusion: it's not a wide ranging problem, players simply need to pay attention and show some common sense, and therefore not worth the time to develop, debug, and install.

Keep in mind.. if they are coding into the game every possible player want/need in the area of hand-holding and police protections.... other content is delayed/cancelled.

OP, as already shared by others here.....you have multiple simple ways to manage and protect yourself from these alleged "scammers" with the current GTN mechanics. You simply have to use them. I do around 100 transactions per day on the GTN across three different serves and I have never been scammed as you describe. I see the bogus list prices on occasion....but not often as I use the existing GTN features (which pushes these absurd listing prices to the bottom of display). Sure... careless people or kids might get scammed once or twice... but even they wise up and use the tools the GTN gives them to avoid it.

Now as a practical forum matter ----> suggestions/demands DO NOT go in general forum, they go in the suggestion forum. ;)

Edited by Andryah

Until this happens to me, I shall continue to find it hilarious.

At that juncture you have my permission to turn the tables and laugh and point at me instead.

Ha ha ha!

Just in case I miss it when it happens... :cool:

As a QoL that won't be required to use, I don't see what the objection is, aside from I have no idea how hard it would be to implement, and so, can't say whether it's worth the development time. All other objections ring out to me as "but if they can ignore me on the GTN, I can't make any money".

You can't ban sellers and their listing from appearing, but you CAN actually pay attention to what you buying and the price for that item.

You want to ban people for your own carelessness? You'd end up playing on your own! :)

Here we go, another GTN prices thread.

Don't buy expensive stuff.

Keep the bulk of your money on a bank alt if you are prone to making mistakes.

/thread

/issue

You have NO idea how simple or easy it would be to implement.

Also, the BUYER can ensure their own safety by PAYING ATTENTION to what they are doing, what they are buying and the prices for those items. People need to grow up and stop blaming others for their mistakes or looking for someone to protect them from their own inattentiveness.

Do your egos feel bigger yet? Have you finished with your daily bully post, or do you guys have anything else to say to try and feel better about yourself?

And my favourite one of all:

Well, the person that purchases the high priced item is at fault to be frank. So is the person that lists the high priced item, but to a lesser degree.

It is an unfair practice, sure. But the game currently allows it, so it is an allowed practice.

"Sure, I can trade scam people for their credits, it's an unfair practice but the game currently allows it, so it is an allowed practice."

"Sure, I can trade scam people for their credits, it's an unfair practice but the game currently allows it, so it is an allowed practice."

It is a statement of fact. It does speak, and I have clearly spoken to the unfairness of this action. But to say it is allowed is absolutely true.

To say otherwise is silly.

I hope you are not trying to lump me in with those that you classify as "bullies" EHN.

Edited by LordArtemis

It's sad to me that the player base has degraded to the point where it wants/needs/expects the provider of a game company to hold their hands and protect them from every possible bad behavior by another player. :rolleyes:

Would it be nice to put a player on /ignore on the GTN? Perhaps. Then again.... people seem to forget that everytime a game developer codes new constraints and restrictions into an established MMO..... new bugs are introduced and additional load is placed on the server to process and apply such filters. I personally have never seen any player-2-player seller instrument (regardless of what is is called, AH, GTN, etc.) installed in a game that does what the OP asks. Conclusion: it's not a wide ranging problem, players simply need to pay attention and show some common sense, and therefore not worth the time to develop, debug, and install.

Keep in mind.. if they are coding into the game every possible player want/need in the area of hand-holding and police protections.... other content is delayed/cancelled.

OP, as already shared by others here.....you have multiple simple ways to manage and protect yourself from these alleged "scammers" with the current GTN mechanics. You simply have to use them. I do around 100 transactions per day on the GTN across three different serves and I have never been scammed as you describe. I see the bogus list prices on occasion....but not often as I use the existing GTN features (which pushes these absurd listing prices to the bottom of display). Sure... careless people or kids might get scammed once or twice... but even they wise up and use the tools the GTN gives them to avoid it.

Now as a practical forum matter ----> suggestions/demands DO NOT go in general forum, they go in the suggestion forum. ;)

I have a better idea ill suggest they remove /ignore from chat and forums and ill spam you email, forums and chat so much that you come here begging they introduce some kind of safeguard

My suggestion of introducing /ignore to the GTN so i dont get to buy your stuff is very legitimate and a safeguard for me not buying or listening to you or anyone i dont feel like wanting to, spam email or spam GTN prices is just as bad and should be adressed

Is not about having BW take my hand its about being real with a customer dissatisfaction and obvious exploid

Maybe you are benefiting from it and thats why you point the free market finger at something thats obviuosly made to scam people

On another note ill just have a toon spam the GTN with so many "doubitous" sales it will make it look obvious and i can do this forever until my heart content or until BW does something about it, maybe even you will come here asking for this so be real

Being allowed doenst mean its legitimate or honest, so of its not honest its dishonest and illegitimate and if you do it thats who you are