Gearing to switch specs - how to procede?

chillshock

Well, I played a lot of pvp. Got me some nice ST:PT gear and ... am already sick of the spec.

So - reset to 0.

Would you guys put in some pve mods and start from there?

Or roll pyro with no damage because the ST gear is... well... not good?

Rolling even one more game as ST is out of the question. The "damage" it does is absolutely ridiculous - it's like non-existant. It makes you a victim to the whims of the matchmaking gods because you need a heal to ... heal and a dd to actually kill something. This happens like... never. Ever. And if it does you're faster stuck as a lone nodeguard than you can say "yip".

I'm not sure why you would expect to do any reasonable damage as a tank, but whatever.

Just roll as dps with tank gear and just replace it piece by piece with a dps set, which you could do in like, a single saturday. You obviously wont hit as hard, but at least you'll have max expertise and you wont have to spend money on pve mods trying to figure out what works in bolster. I put on my tank set on my vengeance jugg for huttball and I still hit hard enough. The only big drop I saw was my force scream hitting for 4k instead of 5-6k but vengeance spec doesn't have + surge talents/crit/damage buff talents that pyro is loaded with, so really you'd be fine.

No, I actually timed on the same level 50 master mob. Damage of the ST:PT is roughly 1/5th of my best kill (rage mara - haven't even done the carnage thing).

And the reason I expected about 76-80% damage is because anything less is absolutely non-viable for anything beyond group play. Like dailies. And there are a lot of those. Total PITA unless done reasonable fast.

I did expect a drop in damage compareable to speccing immortal with the jugg. But this is ridiculous.

Hint to bio: No wonder there aren't enough tank players. It stinks. Solo mining in eve-online high-sec is more entertaining than that!

*edit*

Yeah, I'm raging a bit. I'm shocked at the abyss and frustrated.

Wow got a good idea when they introduced the whole mechanic "tanks hurt more when they get hit" mechanics. *nods* Bio: Use that and make it apply to "when they or their guarded target gets hit" as well and you actually have something that can not only prolong a healers death but actually do something!

Edited by chillshock

Tanks actually do surprisingly high damage in PvP considering they are.. well, tank.

I don't see many healers complaining of low DPS.

If you want to PvP as a DPS, then get purple 156 gear with implants and ear (Even better than Obroan)

and/or blue 148 gear. Bolsters you to 1950 (give or take) Expertise and decent stats.

Two things. Tank, on dummy, does 30% damge of a DPS. DPS parses around 3.5-4.2k... Tank around 1.2-1.5. Second, tank are meat shield. NOT DPS, MEAT SHIELD!!!

DPS parses don't really mean anything in PvP.

It's purely situational.

if you have (or know a) cybertech crafted blues bolster pretty good

Purple 156 is best non-expertise gear.

Edited by Jayshames

\o/ didn't even cost me a million. Not that hard to get when doing some daily stuff and/or selling datacron-decorations.

Yeah... so who actually wants to be a pure meatshield? Meh... As I said: no wonder there are so few tanks.

Edited by chillshock

\o/ didn't even cost me a million. Not that hard to get when doing some daily stuff and/or selling datacron-decorations.

Yeah... so who actually wants to be a pure meatshield? Meh... As I said: no wonder there are so few tanks.

There are few tanks because tanking in pvp actually requires a brain. The fun aspect comes from peels for your team and mitigating as much damage as you can for teammates by using taunts,guard swaps and CC's, not dishing out a bunch of dps. Its a completely different playstyle and its called a tank for a reason. You're not supposed to be worrying about dishing out damage.

A lot of people rather just derp dps than take on the responsibility of being a good tank.

DPS parses don't really mean anything in PvP.

It's purely situational.

I know. I was only subtlely telling how the OP was bad if he thought his tank did like 1/5th of the damage his DPS does in soloing Heroics like he said. As for PvP. I can get high DPS on a tank simply cause I have a rather high survivability so higher time in the fight than a DPS

A lot of people rather just derp dps than take on the responsibility of being a good tank.

Yeah. A lot of DPS are that way. However I'd rather do 100k damage and keep my taunts on CD and my stuns and carbonize at the ready and KILL the attacker of my heal instead of boring him and his heal to death.

Playing well in pvp requires thinking no matter what. There are plenty of tanks who never ever heard of guard-switching, slows, stuns... hell some don't even know that taunting and even ae-taunts work in pvp. I used to play Jugg for the sheer fun of being able to instant-stance-swap -> guard+taunt+intervene on their focus when they blow cooldowns -> switch back right after -> chillscream and do the ravage +push etc on them. Happens all the time. Requires a bit of action, but yes - I like to protect my mates. Without being to kill off enemies however, that's not worth jack. Especially with the recent state of DPS in warzones. I don't think I had many before where only 2 dps are actually breaking 400k on a FULL LENGTH TOUGH FIGHT! I mean... what? Seriously? Yeah, I do top dps on those, but not because I'm awesome. Seriously!

And yeah, there is a lot of attitude in my action. And yeah, I totally expected dps to be 'ok'. It isn't. No, meatshield is no valid job in a game for me. I need to be more... proactive. Maybe it's the hole effective HP vs absolute HP vs Peak-Stable thing from eve-online. If my dps breaks through the others heal before my own heal overheats -> Win.

But yeah - if some shine in the role of the tank - go for it! To me that's the balsy role of a baitship. :p

Yeah. A lot of DPS are that way. However I'd rather do 100k damage and keep my taunts on CD and my stuns and carbonize at the ready and KILL the attacker of my heal instead of boring him and his heal to death.

Playing well in pvp requires thinking no matter what. There are plenty of tanks who never ever heard of guard-switching, slows, stuns... hell some don't even know that taunting and even ae-taunts work in pvp. I used to play Jugg for the sheer fun of being able to instant-stance-swap -> guard+taunt+intervene on their focus when they blow cooldowns -> switch back right after -> chillscream and do the ravage +push etc on them. Happens all the time. Requires a bit of action, but yes - I like to protect my mates. Without being to kill off enemies however, that's not worth jack. Especially with the recent state of DPS in warzones. I don't think I had many before where only 2 dps are actually breaking 400k on a FULL LENGTH TOUGH FIGHT! I mean... what? Seriously? Yeah, I do top dps on those, but not because I'm awesome. Seriously!

And yeah, there is a lot of attitude in my action. And yeah, I totally expected dps to be 'ok'. It isn't. No, meatshield is no valid job in a game for me. I need to be more... proactive. Maybe it's the hole effective HP vs absolute HP vs Peak-Stable thing from eve-online. If my dps breaks through the others heal before my own heal overheats -> Win.

But yeah - if some shine in the role of the tank - go for it! To me that's the balsy role of a baitship. :p

You are a tank. You're not supposed to kill the attacker, just weaken them. Killing is the job of the dps. You're literally asking for tanks to be overpowered.

Tanks aren't supposed to be executioners, as you've been told many times now. Your job is to protect the team. A well timed death from above is always welcome, of course, but you're not supposed to be crunching enemy players.

Anyway, to answer your question, have you considered sticking with tank spec until you can buy a DPS obroan set? Obroan honestly doesn't take that long to fill out.

Edited by HaoZhao

Well, I played a lot of pvp. Got me some nice ST:PT gear and ... am already sick of the spec.

So - reset to 0.

Would you guys put in some pve mods and start from there?

Or roll pyro with no damage because the ST gear is... well... not good?

Rolling even one more game as ST is out of the question. The "damage" it does is absolutely ridiculous - it's like non-existant. It makes you a victim to the whims of the matchmaking gods because you need a heal to ... heal and a dd to actually kill something. This happens like... never. Ever. And if it does you're faster stuck as a lone nodeguard than you can say "yip".

Man just use 52 lvl green or blue pve gear from makeb or even worse and you are golden (31k hp and a lot of expertise)! :) Replace them with obroan in relaxed mode. :)