Order 66

smackone

According to WOOKIEEPEDIA.

This is the exact text of the order referenced in "Contingency Orders for the Grand Army of the Republic: Order Initiation, Orders 1 through 150, GAR Document CO(CL) 56-95"

"Order 66: In the event of Jedi officers acting against the interests of the Republic, and after receiving specific orders verified as coming directly from the Supreme Commander (Chancellor), GAR commanders will remove those officers by lethal force, and command of the GAR will revert to the Supreme Commander (Chancellor) until a new command structure is established."

Does anybody know if there is a Lore or Canon reason why the Jedi or Anti Palpatine Senitors missed this?

It would be like a western government putting something to the effect of... "If leader X feels that the judicial system is acting against the intersts of the Government. Then leader X can remove the leadership of the judical system with lethal force."

I guess the Jedi's just let this one slip past? I mean they didnt trust Palpatine at this point so one would think they would be watching what he was passing into law.

It seemed to me as if these orders were in fact encoded into the DNA of the clones, which is why Cody was all buddy-buddy with Obi-Wan one minute and then blasting him off a cliff the next.

With a text order, wondering why neither the Jedi nor Palpatine's opponents in the Senate would have picked it up: In all likelihood, these orders would have been known only to the clone troops and the designated clone captains/commanders/etc., not to the Senate - and certainly not to the Jedi generals.

Palpatine was sneaky, let's not forget - he was practically two people at once, leading both sides of the war. If he didn't want the Jedi to know something, he did a pretty damn good job making sure they didn't until it was too late. (Like his secret identity as a Sith Lord, perhaps?)

Edited by Joshmaul

It seemed to me as if these orders were in fact encoded into the DNA of the clones, which is why Cody was all buddy-buddy with Obi-Wan one minute and then blasting him off a cliff the next.

?)

if this is true then why in the book Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader do Climber and his squad not execute the order, questioning if it was a trick by the seperatists or a incorrect transmission and intentionally let the Jedi escape which led to the troopers death at the hands of Vader himself.

if this is true then why in the book Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader do Climber and his squad not execute the order, questioning if it was a trick by the seperatists or a incorrect transmission and intentionally let the Jedi escape which led to the troopers death at the hands of Vader himself.

Well it was imprinted in there DNA to follow orders to the letter. Which is why Cody is all cool with Obi Wan and after getting the orders blasts him. I think it is stated somewhere that some clones felt bad about turning on there Jedi Generals but had no choice because of the way there DNA was wired.

I can't say for sure, but perhaps all 150, or many of them, were just as extreme. 67 might have been contingency for removing the chancellor, just to allay fears. Militaries often have contingencys to extreme situations. Heck I bet our military has a contingency plan for an alien invasion.

If you had kept reading the article on Wookipedia you would have found your answer.

A lot of those contingency orders were extreme. Order 65 for instance had something to with removing the Supreme Chancellor from office, should he found to be unfit to lead the Republic.

I'm deducing by the contents of these 2 orders that most of, If not all, the orders were designed to allow Palpatine to fulfill his plan in the event he might have become Chancellor, and all other possible scenarios.

In short, they missed it because It was hidden in the middle of a contingency plan with more or less equally extreme orders.

Contingency plans are meant to be extreme. They're contingency plans. It's not a policy. Your comparison with a western government passing that bill is a little incorrect. It's not like "If the government is disatisfied with the judicial system. . ." It's more like "If the judicial system rises up and attempts to overthrow the government, nuke the White House" or something silly like that.

I am 100% positive EVERY government has LOADS of contingencies JUST like Order 66 in place, IRL. If you fail to prepare you prepare to fail, after all.

The catch being you don't want to have to use contingency plans. If you use them, that means something has already gone horribly wrong. That is the insidious part of the Supreme Chancellor's plan. He used the government against itself.

It kind of reminds me of Batman. The one story arc where a super villain gains access to Batman's contingency plans concerning every other super hero in the Justice League, and uses them against them all, effectively crippling the JL.

Edited by NomineImperator

The text of GAR Contingency Order 66 came from one of the Republic Commando novels written by Karen Traviss. That novel also established some other Contingency Orders, such as the Order 65 mentioned by SammyRath. As I recall, the clonetroopers who remarked on the wording of the order in that novel theorized that it was "hidden in plain sight" intentionally.

As others have said in this thread, governments tend to have all sorts of contingency plans - and when you're in an intergalactic war such as the Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems were, you have contingency plans in case powerful individuals decide that they are better suited to be running the show.

A lot of those contingency orders were extreme. Order 65 for instance had something to with removing the Supreme Chancellor from office, should he found to be unfit to lead the Republic.

Ha, imagine if he mistakenly gave out Order 65 when he meant 66...

Ha, imagine if he mistakenly gave out Order 65 when he meant 66...

I imagine the clones would carry it out, or most likely all die trying which would expose Palpatines cover, allowing the Jedi to go after him, or maybe even prevent Order 66 from ever being issued.

But I'm sure Palpie spent many years rehearsing those lines in front of the mirror.

I think it is stated somewhere that some clones felt bad about turning on there Jedi Generals but had no choice because of the way there DNA was wired.

In Battlefront 2 the Clones constantly regret doing it. Especially on Felucia the clone commenting mentions how he "Couldn't even Look Her (Aylaa Secuura) in the eyes" after she said she was glad to have them at her back, or something like that.

Also, sorry for butchering her name! haha