alternatives to repeating same missions with new characters

Fizzleup

Here's the thing, I find the thought of doing the exact same mission depressing. So when I make my second imperial or republic character, I had this idea that I would just do the class missions and any others not done by my old character. To make up for the lack of exp for not doing the others, I was thinking I'd just do pvp and group flashpoints.

Is this something other players have done? Is it usually a feasible alternative?

Fizzleup

As an altaholic, I've devised a few ways to vary the leveling experience (I also hate doing the same missions).

There's Galactic Starfighter, and you can play that from lvl 1. It gives decent xp, but gets repetetive due to the low number of maps (and unfortunately I don't see many more coming soon).

There's PvP; you can do that from lvl 10. It gives decent xp (just like GSF) but can get repetetive due to the same reason as GSF. It also gives you warzone comms that gives you access to unique weapons and decorations. (Most PvP armour sets look the same as the PvE ones tho)

There's Kuat Drive Yards (KDY); you can do that from lvl 15. It's one of the fastest ways to level up a character IMHO, at least up to lvl 30+. There are some unique reputation items too and the KDY currency (i forget the name) is tradeable on the GTN for some extra coin.

There's also the traditional on-rails space battles that are available after you get your ship in the storyline. These can get REALLY repetetive and boring, but you get fleet comms that gives access to unique armour and decorations. I haven't played them in years, so I cannot comment on how fast you level up with them.

I feel that the best thing is to just switch around between these, but maby focus on some of them if it fits your character (if you like doing some light RP in your own head), for example a smuggler might be doing more GSF and Space Missions than PvP and KDY, while a Trooper might focus on PvP and KDY.

I switch around a lot. Sometimes I'll do the planetary line, others I'll bypass that and pick up all the side quests.

Use an XP boost. Run the group finder flashpoint with the daily mission from the Priority Mission Terminal on the fleet. Pick up all the Intro missions for the Flashpoints. Run Kuat Drive Yards.

Later on a different toon, do the planetary line or pick up different side quests.

Edited by Gidrea

Kuat Drives is definitely the fastest XP.

Plus, you can take a Flashpoint booster (+25% XP) and if you can buy the legacy perks (5 X +6% each for a total of 30%) meaning you can get an extra +55% extra XP per kill. I haven't tried on low levels yet, but on my characters 45+ that I have tried with, they tend to get around half a bar of XP every run. With a decent group, you can power through a good few of these every hour.

Another option is the planetary bonus series missions (if you haven't run them already)

I'll run my class missions to the end of a particular planet, and afterwards pick up the bonus series and run it. The normal planetary quest isn't a prerequisite.

Edited by Khevar

Amusing thread so far: instead of doing the same missions you did before, do Kuat Drive Yards. Over and over and over again. Much less boring that way :rolleyes:

I recommend staying mostly away from KDY, as it is the quickest road to burnout. Instead, do real FPs for the most part and mix them up with PvP warzones and (if it suits you) GSF missions. Don't forget to pick up the one-time quests every time you're doing a FP for the first time for extra rewards!

Real FPs change every few levels. KDY stays the same.

Real FPs change every few levels. KDY stays the same.
No they don't. Esseles is exactly the same from when you first arrive on the fleet at level 10(ish) till level 50. Then you can do the "hard mode" version, which is exactly the same as the "normal" version but with harder (level 50) mobs.

Additional flashponts become available as you level up, but specific ones don't change.

No they don't. Esseles is exactly the same from when you first arrive on the fleet at level 10(ish) till level 50. Then you can do the "hard mode" version, which is exactly the same as the "normal" version but with harder (level 50) mobs.

Additional flashponts become available as you level up, but specific ones don't change.

What Fideli meant is that as one levels up, the access to FPs changes: Ess, Athiss, HS, etc.

Here's the thing, I find the thought of doing the exact same mission depressing. So when I make my second imperial or republic character, I had this idea that I would just do the class missions and any others not done by my old character. To make up for the lack of exp for not doing the others, I was thinking I'd just do pvp and group flashpoints.

Is this something other players have done? Is it usually a feasible alternative?

Fizzleup

I am currently leveling 3 chars up with a friend via pvp and class missions only. It is a very feasible method, converting warzone comms to planetary comms means every 4 levels being able to max out all gear modifications (95 planet comms needed) with lots of wz comms left over for things such as warzone medpacks, the new stronghold items, ranked wz comms (when past 40) etc. Also by doing mainly pvp my companions are always out on crew skills missions so I am making money that way.

Well I don't PVP or GSF so my method is:

- Join a guild for XP bonus (you can always change to a new one at lvl 55)

- Unlock all legacy XP boosts to full 30% (except PVP and GSF for me obviously)

- Always have a Major or Minor XP boost active (a general one)

I then run class missions, occasional Flashpoints and Space missions (twice each when they first become available)

I then dip into planetary story lines as I need / want to - I don't need to very often. Bonus series are also an interesting diversion ( I'm sure there are some I still haven't done - especially Pub side). Just make sure anything you are doing is level appropriate so you're not wasting time

Admittedly this approach requires a fair amount of credits to set up

Fizzleup

I do this pretty much exclusively. Fortunately for me, I enjoy both PvP and GSF more than most other content in the game. I love the story missions, of course, but I absolutely loathe being planetside due to the loading, travel times, etc. I'm actually considering skipping story missions too, and just doing those whenever I feel like it instead of getting that "damn, I've almost outleveled my current story mission, better go do it"-feeling.

As for on-rail Space missions, their dailies give quite a decent amount of XP, particularly at low levels. Extremely repetitive, but also extremely easy.

Another upside with KDY is that you don't need to upgrade your gear to do it, since it bolsters you. So yeah, the next alt I'm leveling is probably just going to do daily PvP/GSF/KDY/Space and nothing else, since I have 4 55's I can do stuff on after that.

Just to join in the chorus, this is definitely feasible.

A friend and I are on characters #5 leveling together (plus two more we leveled together with other people). We've done both factions so many times that the idea of doing all the sidequests for XP is great sadness.

This time and the last time around, we've been keeping up our levels by doing:

1. Keeping an XP boost going at all times.

2. Taking advantage of Bounty Contract Week every time it rolls around, and doing both a Henchmen and a Kingpin.

3. Running Kuat Drive Yards after every planet.

Otherwise, we just focus on our respective class quests, sidequests we know to be easy, or the occasional planetary chain we enjoy and keep ourselves geared via Planetary Comms on ourselves or alts or crafting.

I am currently leveling 3 chars up with a friend via pvp and class missions only. It is a very feasible method, converting warzone comms to planetary comms means every 4 levels being able to max out all gear modifications (95 planet comms needed) with lots of wz comms left over for things such as warzone medpacks, the new stronghold items, ranked wz comms (when past 40) etc. Also by doing mainly pvp my companions are always out on crew skills missions so I am making money that way.

I rarely do PvP, so forgive me if the answer to this is an obvious one, but how do you convert WZ comms to planetary comms. I have a lvl 9 Imp Agent and I really don't wanna do all the planetary missions. I've maxed out the KDY level but repeating it just for the sake of XP does make sense. I might go for GSF and the on-rails ones. But any other way I can level up my Agent?

I rarely do PvP, so forgive me if the answer to this is an obvious one, but how do you convert WZ comms to planetary comms. I have a lvl 9 Imp Agent and I really don't wanna do all the planetary missions. I've maxed out the KDY level but repeating it just for the sake of XP does make sense. I might go for GSF and the on-rails ones. But any other way I can level up my Agent?

You can't convert Warzone Commendations to Planetary Commendations (as far as I know).

You can't convert Warzone Commendations to Planetary Commendations (as far as I know).

Actually, you can.

What you do is you go to the PVP vendor on the fleet, the one next to the pvp terminal, and "buy" planetary commendations with your warzone commendations. I don't remember what the exchange rate is off the top of my head.

That same vendor is also how you can convert regular warzone comms to ranked comms, once you hit valor 40.

Actually, you can.

What you do is you go to the PVP vendor on the fleet, the one next to the pvp terminal, and "buy" planetary commendations with your warzone commendations. I don't remember what the exchange rate is off the top of my head.

That same vendor is also how you can convert regular warzone comms to ranked comms, once you hit valor 40.

Ahhh, that's good to know. I haven't PvPed in a long while so that is probably why I didn't know. :p

PvP + real FPs.

Don't bother spending credits on character-only XP boost perks (the xp boost potion things are fine)--they are a giant waste of money considering how much XP you rake in with rested XP doing FPs and WZs. You'll already be leveling so quickly you won't need to do any side quests, and can even skip the planetary storyline on all but a few worlds.

Try to keep your Valor level = your character level, so that when you hit level 40 you can start converting WZ comms to ranked. That way, when you hit 55 you'll immediately have enough to get Brutalizer relics (2nd BiS).

Don't bother spending credits on character-only XP boost perks (the xp boost potion things are fine)--they are a giant waste of money considering how much XP you rake in with rested XP doing FPs and WZs.

I wouldn't say they're a complete waste of money, just not worth it if you have to provide the cash while leveling. They can be quite effective if you have a max-level character who can feed credits to your new toon. But, yeah, if you don't have any 55s, than the perk boosts aren't really worth it.