Returning to game and need a refresher on how armor works.

JGHopkins

I'm a 55 Jedi Tank, and I know that I should be mostly splitting my modifications between defense and mitigation, But I honestly forgot how armor sets work. I haven't played in awhile so my armor is currently outdated. But I was bored and went to http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/jedi-knight/guardian/defense/item-modification

on the site it says "armoring: Dread Master War Leader Armor Set"

but underneath it lists mod, enhancements etc. these match what's listed as being attached to the dread master gear (i.e. the headpiece has advanced elusive mod 38, and it's listed on noxxic.) but it doesn't list armor the same way it lists mods and enhancements

so is a regular "advanced guardian 36" armor modification different from the one that comes with the Dread Master gear?

Edited by JGHopkins

I'm a 55 Jedi Tank, and I know that I should be mostly splitting my modifications between defense and mitigation, But I honestly forgot how armor sets work. I haven't played in awhile so my armor is currently outdated. But I was bored and went to http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/jedi-knight/guardian/defense/item-modification

on the site it says "armoring: Dread Master War Leader Armor Set"

but underneath it lists mod, enhancements etc. these match what's listed as being attached to the dread master gear (i.e. the headpiece has advanced elusive mod 38, and it's listed on noxxic.) but it doesn't list armor the same way it lists mods and enhancements

so is a regular "advanced guardian 36" armor modification different from the one that comes with the Dread Master gear?

1. Noxxic is terrible. They have about a 10% accuracy rate of being correct with their gear stats. Especially as a tank.

2. The "Advanced Guardian Armoring 36" is slightly different to what you pull out of dread master gear... if you could. The only place you can get said armoring is out of a token drop for dread masters gear. If you COULD obtain the Guardian version of the armoring elsewhere (e.g. Guardian Armoring 34 and Ultimate Comms), it would lack the set bonus that the Dread Masters token's armoring provides. However, as a guardian, Might armorings/hilts actually make you tougher because of a series of mitigation skills picked up in the tree (as well as focused defense), and it makes it easier to hold threat.

Anyway, your priority for gearing is actually:

1. Level 55 4-piece War Leader's set bonus. This can be any armoring of the Arkanian, Underworld, Kel Dragon, Dread Forged or Dread Masters tier, though the further along this list the better. You can pull the armor out of that piece and put it in some gear that you like if you want though, so long as it keeps the bonus. Head armorings have to go into helmets, leg armorings into leggings, ect... though

2. Remaining armor spots are of the "Advanced Might Armoring X" variety, where X is the highest level you can pick up. 36 from Nightmare Dread operations, 34 from Ultimate Comms/HM Dread Operations, 33 from NiM SnV/TFB, 31 from Elite commendations/HM SnV/TFB and the last 2 bosses of SM DF/DP (random), and 30 from SnV, TFB, DF and DP Storymode as well as basic comms. 28 armorings are crafted.

Hilt is also an "Advanced Might Hilt" of the highest quality you can pick up. Protip, get one crafted (Might Hilt 34)

Crystals are power crystals

3. Mods/Enhancements are fight dependent. Have fun!

Seriously though, what content are you planning on tanking? We need to know this so we can provide tips.

Oh and rather than use noxxic, start here. If you can't find anything here, go to Dulfy's website (anything not up to date here will be there, though Dulfy has started updating everything on her website that is out of date)

Here's her guardian tank guide, for example:

http://dulfy.net/2014/01/07/swtor-defense-guardian-tanking-class-guide/

Edited by TACeMossie