HK-51 at Low Levels Questions

BFB_Dman

Hey guys, I am thinking about doing the HK quest on my main 55 in order to use him mainly for an IA while I am leveling up. I have heard different information about him so I am hoping you guys can clear this up for me. First off: How does his gear work when you get him for say, a level 5 character, will he come with a level 50 set, a level 5 set of gear that scales, both or neither?

Also what all do I have to do to get him on a lowbie once I have completed the quest on my main? What skills does he come with at low levels?

If he doesn't come with any gear like stated above how do I gear him?

Sorry for all the questions but I would just like to know what I am getting into. If anyone could answer any of the above questions it would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance for the time you spent reading this!!

His gear doesn't scale unfortunately, however quests now give droid parts when they offer companion gear, so there's something.

It will take a little while to gear him up, but he's worth it.

The level 50 gear won't give him the stats even if you leave it on him.

He comes with level 50 gear. As near as I can tell, it actually is level 50 gear, replacing the mods with level-appropriate ones doesn't make it usable. So you need to get droid gear for him. It exists, but it's not common drops.

That said, for the first 20 levels or so, even without working gear, he's still pretty effective. His inherent abilities are very good.

So all he needs to be a viable companion (equal or better than other companions) is a good weapon? Or does he need moddable droid parts aswell, how hard/expensive are these lowbie droid parts, if anyone knows off the top of their head?

So all he needs to be a viable companion (equal or better than other companions) is a good weapon? Or does he need moddable droid parts aswell, how hard/expensive are these lowbie droid parts, if anyone knows off the top of their head?

A Sniper Rifle that you can mod, A Knife which you can get in BT since it's an IA character. Droid parts are on almost every planet vendor whether comms or credits and if you take up cybertech you can make droid parts.

If you're just gonna use HK only, Cunning or Aim mods work best for him.

Save up a million and get a Treek contract.

Treek comes with level 10 gear and is quite easy to gear up.

Treek also can be used as a tank or healer

Treek = OP and better than most healers in FP's/Heroics from many experiences with accuracy/defense stacking healers

Droid parts are hard to come by and most past level 20 have defense on them which HK cannot use.

If you do not replace his main hand his assassinate target with 5 stacks will miss.

The others covered it pretty well above.

I personally feel that the best way to gear the droid is to use moddable droid parts (and use extra planetary commendations) to fill the gear with armorings, mods and enhancements. Unfortunately, unlike organic toons (who have moddable gear available at level 1), it takes longer before moddable droid parts are available:

Core x 2 (mission rewards starting at level 10, craftable starting at level 14)

Sensor x 1 (mission rewards starting at level 12, craftable starting at level 18)

Motor x 2 (mission rewards starting at level 24, craftable starting at level 26)

Parts x 2 (mission rewards starting at level 32, craftable starting at level 32)

Also note that a moddable Vibroknife can be gotten for HK-51 at the Nar Shaddaa commendations vendor.

Now, if you've already unlocked a Human at level 50, and have unlocked some legacy +Presence bonuses, your HK-51 will be pretty powerful even without the best gear. So the lack of moddable gear until higher levels won't really be that bad.

Personally, I really like using HK-51 as a companion while leveling and heartily recommend it.

Edited by Khevar

The others covered it pretty well above.

I personally feel that the best way to gear the droid is to use moddable droid parts (and use extra planetary commendations) to fill the gear with armorings, mods and enhancements. Unfortunately, unlike organic toons (who have moddable gear available at level 1), it takes longer before moddable droid parts are available:

Core x 2 (mission rewards starting at level 10, craftable starting at level 14)

Sensor x 1 (mission rewards starting at level 12, craftable starting at level 18)

Motor x 2 (mission rewards starting at level 24, craftable starting at level 26)

Parts x 2 (mission rewards starting at level 32, craftable starting at level 32)

Also note that a moddable Vibroknife can be gotten for HK-51 at the Nar Shaddaa commendations vendor.

Now, if you've already unlocked a Human at level 50, and have unlocked some legacy +Presence bonuses, your HK-51 will be pretty powerful even without the best gear. So the lack of moddable gear until higher levels won't really be that bad.

Personally, I really like using HK-51 as a companion while leveling and heartily recommend it.

On Coruscant and Dromund Kaas you can buy a Knife for 14 Comms from the Specialty Weapons Vendor. You can also get a moddable Sensor Unit and 2 different Cores for Credits and Commendations.

You can make Parts and Motors with Early Cybertech until Level 25 On Tatooine for Motors and Quesh Commendation Vendor for Parts.

On Coruscant and Dromund Kaas you can buy a Knife for 14 Comms from the Specialty Weapons Vendor. You can also get a moddable Sensor Unit and 2 different Cores for Credits and Commendations.

You can make Parts and Motors with Early Cybertech until Level 25 On Tatooine for Motors and Quesh Commendation Vendor for Parts.

Are you absolutely sure on that one? :o

Mind you, it's an honest question. I only remember getting OH's on DK from the statue Heroic. What's the name again...

EDIT:

Saving Face. :D

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Are you absolutely sure on that one? :o

Mind you, it's an honest question. I only remember getting OH's on DK from the statue Heroic. What's the name again...

EDIT:

Saving Face. :D

On DK inside the Spaceport across from the black female imperial officer near the entrance before you exit out into the wild.

On Coruscant it's the middle vendor inbetween the Equipment and Mod Commendation Vendors.

Both Vendors sell A Knife and a Shotgun and every weapon from BT/Esseles.

So, one last question taking into consideration all the pain you have to go through in order to gear him and let alone obtain him on the toon, is it worth getting him on an alt just for leveling purposes? AKA Compared to the other IA companions is HK worth going through the trouble for (anything special about him)? Thanks again for all the answers yal!

So, one last question taking into consideration all the pain you have to go through in order to gear him and let alone obtain him on the toon, is it worth getting him on an alt just for leveling purposes? AKA Compared to the other IA companions is HK worth going through the trouble for (anything special about him)? Thanks again for all the answers yal!

He deals more damage than normal companions and you can easily mod him out as an Agent since he uses Aim and Cunning stats.

I'll say this tho. If you can get Treek, get Treek.

Companions OP wise go like this

1. Treek

2. HK-51

3. Normal Companions

4. Ship Droids.

1 Being best and 4 being worst.

You cna get a moddable orange knife from the BT vendor on DK in the spaceport across from the main planet quest giver for 14 planet coms. Im using him now and even without a sensor and at level core/motor/parts(Im cybertech) I hardly get a attack in edgewise.

Why is Treek>HK or really treek>all for that matter?

Someone did a test a while back with Treek vs a regular healing companion (in equivalent gear).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4wD3dVmw0

Mako lasted 44 seconds and got the mob to 60% hp before dying.

Treek (heal stance) lasted 49 seconds and got the mob to 35% hp before dying.

Treek (tank stance) lasted 43 seconds and got the mob to 10% hp before dying.

So by the numbers, Treek is a very good healer or tank companion.

That said, the chittering really gets on my nerves. ;)

That said, the chittering really gets on my nerves. ;)

This, 200%

I remember reading a story from one of the original devs about how they originally had planned Tython with a non-basic speaking species instead of the (or was it) Twi' leks. He said that after playing a few hours you wanted to throw a brick at your monitor.

Trust me, with that furbag it don't even take that long. I had the unfortunate luck to end up being grouped once with someone who used it (it's an animal after all), and I'm sorry to say, I had to offer the choice asking the player to swap his companion or abandoning the group.

All in all, I see it as the lazyman's companion. It's way too overpowered making an already toned down game even more boringly easy. After all, the game difficulty was setup with the original companions in mind. Since then a lot of quests and planets have been reduced in difficulty because of the whining of those wanting to skip from 1 to 50 in a day. Then came that furbag and folks just didn't have to do anything themselves anymore. They just pointed and said "go kill" while they stood at a safe distance.

No, can't stand the beast and can't have much respect for the type of player who feels he or she cannot possibly do without. You might as well ask someone else to level up your character for you, that's how I feel about that mongrel.

That's even ignoring the fact it feels absolutely and totally unbelievable to have a species in game from a planet that wasn't even discovered at the time if I'm not mistaken. (couldn't be bothered to check on this, but seem to remember having read something saying as much)

Edited by LeJarC

Why is Treek>HK or really treek>all for that matter?

Treek starts out with level 10 moddable armor, can use armor that other characters use (not tied to droid armor), puts out great damage as a tank AND can heal, or can be a pure healer that has decent damage output to boot. Good at holding agro in tank or avoiding agro in heal. IMO the best healing companion in the game.

PLUS Treek will not break your CC.

All you really need to maximize both roles is a moddable generator. She already had a shield. This way you switch to tank, switch to the shield, heal stance you switch back to generator.

So, in that way IMO Treek is superior to HK. Just much MUCH more flexible.

PLUS Treek will not break your CC.

I'm not in game now, so I can't check for sure, but I'm pretty sure HK-51 won't break CC either.

Partly because I don't remember ever seeing that happen. And partly because the (hopefully accurate) list of his abilities on torhead don't show any AOE attacks.

So, in that way IMO Treek is superior to HK. Just much MUCH more flexible.

Definitely Treek is more flexible.

But HK kills mobs much faster than Treek (objective fact) and is entertaining rather than annoying (subjective opinion).

:D

I'm not in game now, so I can't check for sure, but I'm pretty sure HK-51 won't break CC either.

Partly because I don't remember ever seeing that happen. And partly because the (hopefully accurate) list of his abilities on torhead don't show any AOE attacks.

But HK kills mobs much faster than Treek (objective fact) and is entertaining rather than annoying (subjective opinion).

Yeah HK Won't Break CC But does high damage and sometimes with high presence and appropriate mods can even tank a gold elite while he kills it.

I kill to serve.

Awesome. :D

This, 200%

I remember reading a story from one of the original devs about how they originally had planned Tython with a non-basic speaking species instead of the (or was it) Twi' leks. He said that after playing a few hours you wanted to throw a brick at your monitor.

Trust me, with that furbag it don't even take that long. I had the unfortunate luck to end up being grouped once with someone who used it (it's an animal after all), and I'm sorry to say, I had to offer the choice asking the player to swap his companion or abandoning the group.

All in all, I see it as the lazyman's companion. It's way too overpowered making an already toned down game even more boringly easy. After all, the game difficulty was setup with the original companions in mind. Since then a lot of quests and planets have been reduced in difficulty because of the whining of those wanting to skip from 1 to 50 in a day. Then came that furbag and folks just didn't have to do anything themselves anymore. They just pointed and said "go kill" while they stood at a safe distance.

No, can't stand the beast and can't have much respect for the type of player who feels he or she cannot possibly do without. You might as well ask someone else to level up your character for you, that's how I feel about that mongrel.

That's even ignoring the fact it feels absolutely and totally unbelievable to have a species in game from a planet that wasn't even discovered at the time if I'm not mistaken. (couldn't be bothered to check on this, but seem to remember having read something saying as much)

So having the other companions makes you break a sweat? How you get lazy I don't know. Since your sitting on your duff hitting some keys or moving a mouse. What part of that is hard work. Playing the whole game can be considered lazy.