Scoundrel or Gunslinger, help me decide

Gizzle

Hey guys,

Thought I would seek some of the infinite wisdom/thought and opinions on which class I should play.

I will give a few notes on myself to help you decide:

I have no intentions of healing anyone as a scoundrel, not a fan of playing a healer

I normally play melee classes, but played an Agent in AO and don't mind trying something new

I have played a rogue all through WoW, so I am used to the stealth mechanics and ideas of positioning (I normally tank)

My concerns:

I plan on PvPing, Is the slinger able to be moble or is it more stationary?

I plan on raiding, is Scoundrel DPS wanted/needed in high end instances or will someone be telling me I should be healing instead?

I did roll a Scoundrel to 14 last night and was enjoying it, but wasn't sure which I would like more, so I thought some insight would be helpful.

What would good crew skills be for each one? Best companion(YMMV)?

Thanks folks I look forward to reading this and being able to pick your brains a bit :)

Slinger with DF is very mobile in my experience. She would drop in cover easily, if she has to put out her full rotation, but she still does plenty of damage when dancing around, in close quarters. I find Treekin healing stance the most useful companion. Guss is close second. But I played most of the game with Riggs, and it was fine. The melee tanks, Akaavi and Bowdaar, I had problems with. Never tried Risha, left her for Scoundrel.

Scoundrel is basically the class that has absolutely everything, stealth, back-stab, heals and range. So far, I am not used to it yet, but stealth makes things very easy. If you've already started, why bother switching? From what i see though, healing is what scoundrels are most praised for, while Slinger is just DPS.

Oh, and Cybertech worked well for my character (having reuseable grenades helps as well as equipping is simple), as I never use Bowdaar, so he can do crafting. I did do Investigations however (Guss), and draw metals from GTN/other alts. Armstech just doesn't seem to be valuable enough compared. And Biochem, well, that's supposed to be the bestest skill ever, so... you can do that too.

Edited by DomiSotto

I prefer gunslinger over scoundrel, but I'm not a big stealth fan. Agent was the one character type I couldn't get into in AO.

As for crew skills, to be honest, your best choice would be to do pure gathering (Scavenge, Bioanalysis, and Slicing) and sell everything so you can buy things on the GTN. Between that and getting some upgrades via Planetary Commendations, you can easily level that way to 55 and you should have a bankroll to do what you'd like at that point.

I'd say gunslinger as well although both are competent in PvP/PvE so really it comes down to what you want to play more. I enjoy the CC and range as a Gunslinger combat to me feels very fluid. I prefer ranged classes though.

As for companions Treek is awesome, then I'd say Corso is the next best choice.

So I tried playing in the Gunslinger style, taking cover..I wasn't feeling it that much to be honest, when I played in a Scoundrel style it felt a lot more fluid, like I was able to be all over the mobs.

Does that change as you progress?

Hey, I think you've got your question answered, you seem to be favoring the Scoundrel. :) I played Gunslinger for over 6 months now, and she feels much more fluid to me than a Scoundrel I played for a week to a glorious level 16. But that's neither here nor there. Did you disable the darned cover-bar? That's a must.

Ya..ran an instance last night, was tossing heals, dpsing, stunlocking...was pretty sensual LOL

I think it comes from liking to play a jack of all trades, I played rogue before and was uber concerned with the damage meter..once I got the ability to heal a lil I helped out..and it didnt kill me :)

Thanks for everyones input, even though I ended up convincing myself to just play scoundrel, it was appreciated :)

Slinger with DF is very mobile in my experience. She would drop in cover easily, if she has to put out her full rotation, but she still does plenty of damage when dancing around, in close quarters. I find Treekin healing stance the most useful companion. Guss is close second. But I played most of the game with Riggs, and it was fine. The melee tanks, Akaavi and Bowdaar, I had problems with. Never tried Risha, left her for Scoundrel.

Just so you know, Akavi is less of a tank than you are, so there's your problem

Anyway, best companion is geared level + spec dependant.

Full Heals: Go with Akavi or HK51 (Risha works if you lack HK51)

Full Scrapper: Go with treek (Tank Stance) or Corso

Full Dirty Fighting: Go with Guss

You want corso for full scrapper because then you can backstab stuff

Edited by TACeMossie

OP, welcome to your Smuggling grove! May you enjoy long enjoy it :)

@TAC: Thank you for taking your time to respond :) Yes, that was my impression. As much as I thought that rocked RP wise (I picked her right after that awesome sequence with Numen when Riggs was even less appealing & Numen disappeared, so the two tough gals bonded), scrapping Akaavi of the floor grew tiresome, so I took her to do an overlevelled BS for her achievement and parked her. I am going through the same painful process with Broonmark right now, who has a tendency of blowing enemies from under my Mara's nose after she's leaped. I swear he times it, it's that impeccable. My Scoundrel is gearing to be Sawbones *and* is played paired, so he can have Risha and Akaavi as his playmates.

Edited by DomiSotto

IMO, I personally love scoundrel. I play a scoundrel on The Bastion PvP server. Honestly, I haven't been beaten 1v1 to date, even I beat a lvl 40 sorcerer. I love being able to back blast people, and hit for crazy dps and then if i'm feeling the heat in a 2v1 I stealth out, CC and open again.

Overall I felt the Gunslinger lacks mobility, and IMO it's pretty boring sitting in the same spot just spamming a rotation.

(Scrapper spec)

Edited by Swinefluchicken